Apple Cube and Monitor not displaying a picture

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by steveca, Jan 9, 2009.

1. steveca macrumors 6502

Hi everyone...

Just got a cube and a 17" ADC studio monitor off ebay from different sellers and there is a problem with one of them... when i connect everything and I switch everything on the cube turns on and automatically switches the monitor on but I get no picture. I get the tune that the thing started up but no picture at all

i tried the cube with a very old compaq monitor i had running around that uses vga and still no picture...

I guess it is the cube that is the bad thing... Am I guessing right?

Any idea of what can I do to solve the problem (apart from getting another cube) :confused::confused::confused: Thanks a lot

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Open it up and check to see if the video card is seated also check ram while you are in there. Ram will give you problems like that

3. Vanyasteen macrumors newbie

That ADC is old enough that the CCFL backlight might have failed. Try shining a bright flashlight onto the ADC when it's supposed to be displaying an image.

4. steveca thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the help. i will try out your suggestions. however the fact that the cube did send an impulse to the monitor should automatically indicate that everything is fitted correctly... will keep you posted

if nothing works will try to upgrade the graphics card asap :)

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I agree with checking the seating of the video card, but I wonder how you know that the monitor is turned on. Also, I don't understand what you mean by the "tune." If the sound is more than the normal Mac startup chime, then something else might be wrong.

6. steveca thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that the monitor is turned on because of the white light on the monitor that lights up when I switch on the cube.

By the tune i meant the normal startup chime. this should indicate that the system has an OS. After some time I can also adjust the volume control etc from the keyboard and I can hear anything but still no display

7. steveca thread starter macrumors 6502

checked the graphics card and it is fitted properly...

will try to find another monitor that uses VGA... will update once I make it

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Also check the ram inside. This will give you problems with video

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Okay. The startup chime doesn't have anything to do with the OS. That's the Power On Self Test (POST) signal that the hardware is functioning properly. The fact that you can adjust the sound levels from the keyboard suggests that your Cube is booting. The most likely fault is with the video card. You could test this theory with another monitor or by changing out the card.

10. steveca thread starter macrumors 6502

update: finally it worked. as suggested by Reflow it was the RAM. I previously checked the ram seating and it was fine and cube should start flashing if ram had some problems. However I tried to take ram off and then set it again and it did the trick.

thanks to everyone guys, the cube is really a nice system indeed :apple: