Apple custom build iPhones? Would you buy it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Airforcekid, Apr 3, 2009.

?

Would you upgrade?

1. Yes better graphics more speed 5meg camera.

80.6%
  2. No regular improvements from the 3G would be good enough!

19.4%
  1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:Say they came out with a low med and high end iPhone you can have upgraded like a MacBook would you buy stock or upgrade?:apple: FYI can not be upgraded yourself!

2. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I would love to be able to "build my perfect iPod/iPhone" that would be a very cool thing if Apple offered that feature in the future.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No way that will happen. Everything in the phone is pretty much smashed together, so it's not like popping in more memory or replacing a hard drive. I don't know what you think there is to really customize. I don't think there's a GPU, the CPU isn't going to change.

There will likely only be flash storage differences between models -- as well as colors. It's much cheaper to manufacture things when you don't start changing parts all over, which is what you're suggesting.

4. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Yes

Why not? If I could customize my phone I would definitely do it. I do it with just about everything else I purchase.

5. diemos macrumors 6502

Yea i'd buy it, but it also depends on how much extra they would charge

6. Haephestos macrumors regular

I'd buy it! I am making a mockup of the customisation options. I will post it when done.

7. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

8. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

By the time you got everything u wanted in the iphone, u probably could buy a mac. Look how much the iphone cost unsubsidized.

9. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

That's true and getting the right replacement would be a pain! Still an option for a better camera and slightly faster CPU would be enough!

10. Haephestos macrumors regular

11. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Nope, plan still costs too much. Although I do think a bit of diversity will give the iphone the sales kick it needs.

As a side note, does anyone think that diversifying a product in the later generations is part of apple's business plan? First they introduce a great product, let it saturate the market, they use a bit of new tech to refresh the look, feel & speed to give the product its second wind?

12. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

This poll is total FAIL.

The topic is about a "custom built phone", yet the two poll options are between 3G as-is and one with three specific hardware upgrades? Someone didn't put very much thought into this.