Apple Customer Service... WOW

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by duncanapple, May 4, 2009.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

These are the stories that should get out there, especially with all this talk of "the apple tax." I will gladly pay more for a company's product when they stand behind it like this...

My little brother (finishing up his soph year of college) has the white macbook 2.0ghz. (or is it 2.16?). Its about 2 years old now (though he does have apple care) and it is now on its third keyboard, second optical drive, and second hard drive. He does carry it around a lot, but heck its IS a laptop aimed at students and portability is it not? Plus, its always in a padded laptop backpack and after the first keyboard he has been careful to not let it sit with books on top of it in the bag... anyway...

The keyboard chipped again. After calling Apple and spending 5 mins on the phone explaining the history they offered to replace it with the new unibody 2.0 model! He didn't have to get upset, elevate it, or anything else. Just calmly told them what had happened and they were awesome about it. They are going to let him hang on to his current macbook so he can finish his classes (cant NOT have a computer during finals), and after next week they are giving him overnight shipping labels. They are sending the new one overnight as well.

Anyway, just wanted to pass along some kudos to Apple. That truly is exceptional service. I am thinking I may need to add apple care onto my machine before the 1 year mark. I am curious as to i this is why he has gotten an even better level of service?

2. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

wow. i wish that would happen to me. i dont have apple care though.
    they have replaced my hard drive for free.

Could you put in a word for me ;)

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

My understanding was that Apple replaces products after three hardware support issues.

Your mileage may vary.

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Lemon Law?

5. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

Apple Care is awesome, my 80Gb classic was in a loop where i would have to restore it every 5 minutes. So i just went to the local store and they gave me a new one, no stupid sending one off to another country were they just fix it and send it back in like 5 weeks. They just gave me a brand new iPod.

<3 Apple

6. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I know, AppleCare rocks!

I just had a similar experience with AppleCare that ended with me getting my current MBP seen in my signature.

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Just got off the phone with Apple because my in-ear headphones stopped the volume controls. Apple offered to send me a brand new pair AND let me keep the old ones :D

And the old ones are still fully functional except for the volume. :apple: FTW.

8. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Good to hear those types of stories from customers...from what I've seen these stories outweigh the negative experiences. :)

9. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

That's awesome, I personally would never buy a macbook without apple care. It just makes sense. :cool:

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Not really sure, I'm from the UK where we have a pretty solid law covering issues with any product - but you have to go to the retailer, not the manufacturer.

Most people consider it to be a guaranteed 12 month warranty on anything (other than stuff like batteries or a pencil).

11. danvan21 macrumors regular

bought a refurb blackbook in august. Trackpad failed 4 times and then they just gave me a brand new 2.4ghz aluminum macbook. tehy would have given me a macbook pro if i needed a firewire. should have lied to them...

12. HazRutter macrumors regular

HazRutter

Wow, glad to hear you got a good deal out of it... (the 3 repairs are not too great though :))

13. BeauGiles macrumors member

14. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Nah, the reps have a lot of leeway when it comes to hardware replacements. I've had them replace the entire logic board, top, and bottom assembly (basically everything but the hard drive, RAM, and optical drive) on an iBook that was out of warranty. I've also had some reps refuse in-warranty service seemingly arbitrarily.

Basically, it all comes down to who you happen to get when you call in.

15. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

It honestly depends on the person you get connected with over the phone. Some are idiots that don't know anything and some are people that actually do know some stuff, and then there are the representatives with only a general knowledge about Apple computers and OS X.

I constantly find myself having to correct the Apple reps I talk to over the phone. I even spoke with one that thought iChat was part of iLife and didn't come with a Mac... when I corrected him, he straight up said, "Wow, I feel like I don't know anything! I feel so stupid!" I'm like... haha...? Now can you help me please? level 2 support plz? lol...... who the f*** does Apple hire? Do they even do any interviews or do any training with these people or do they hire anyone that just randomly applies? Cause Apple support is REALLY unacceptable.

It's good if you get a person on the line that actually knows a few things though.

16. DPB17 macrumors 6502

So true

17. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Yeah, sometimes AppleCare really is worth it. From my experience with my MBP, i have had it in four times. Now, i am thinking about sending it in again. I will have to list all the repairs sometime later, as i can't remember exactly what they repaired anymore, at which time.

But hopefully, they will repair mine and get it fully functional this time.

18. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I know this is not the same situation as a macbook, but still a positive experience with Apple.

Last week I ordered 2 refurbished ipod nano online for $99 each (1 for me, 1 for my dad), my dads ipod was in perfect condition, but mine had a defective click wheel. I called apple care and they said it would be no issue to get it replaced, they emailed me pre-paid stamps and I shipped it back on friday.

I called monday just to check the status if they had received my package and when I would be getting my new one back, the guy over the phone told me that it was on the shipping dock waiting for fedex to pick it up, he felt bad that I got a defective product and offered me a free ipod nano case for free (under $30), so he had me go on Apple.com wile on the phone and he waited for me to find any case that I wanted, and since my ipod hadn't been picked up yet, they would add it to the same shipping box.

I never complained, I never asked to speak to any manager, i never raised my voice, I just wanted to know the ETA on my ipod, but he told me that he wanted my experience with apple to be positive and that apple is about making people happy.

19. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

They have fixed many things that I am glad I pay an "Apple tax" for, including replacing my stock iPhone headphones everytime one ear stops working

20. tongteh macrumors 6502

is all this apple benefits only occur in US?? anyone from Australia?

21. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

I havent had to go thru applecare yet hopefully my experience turns out good also

22. n20nine macrumors member

will call 133622 on Monday when I am free. My MB has a loose battery cover and the CD drive vibrates like hell when a CD is being played.

23. tongteh macrumors 6502

hope to hear some good news from you.. :D