Apple Customer Support Is Terrible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bizack, Nov 18, 2014.

1. bizack macrumors 6502

I purchased an iPhone 6 Plus as an in-store pickup. That same day I noticed my home button was funky (loose, made a double clicking noise, squishy). I contacted support and they said they'd expedite a new iPhone 6 Plus to me. Sweet! Well, the phone arrived today, but in the 'no accessories' box. I thought 'well, maybe it's new and this was on hold as a replacement.' I checked the build date - September. Then I noticed the screen had multiple deep scratches. I contacted Apple and they actually said there's nothing they can do. Nada. I have to send back the scratched, refurbished iPhone 6 Plus (who would want a refurbished iPhone to replace a day old iPhone?) via FedEx and then hunt down a new phone on my own. They said they could put _another_ hold on my credit card and expedite another phone. I asked if it would be new. They said they couldn't guarantee if it wold be new or refurbished. I asked if they could hold a new phone for in-store pickup (and I'd also be fine with them placing a hold on my credit card). Nope. This took about three hours (not kidding) being bounced between different people who 'took notes' but got the notes wrong every single time. Ridiculous. If you bought a new phone, and there's anything wrong with it, just find a replacement using istocknow.com. Apple support sucks.

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If you want a new replacement, return your phone and buy a new one. Otherwise you have to deal with refurbs.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Yes blame Apple for your ignorance in return vs warranty replacement policy.

5. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

IMO, there should be a timeframe where defective phones are replaced with new ones regardless if it's shipped or in store. I mean who would expect to get a refurb so soon after your purchase? I could see 30 or 60 days after, but if you buy one and call the next day and get a refurb to replace it?? That's messed up.

As far as customer service, were you speaking to a 'local' rep? Or a 3rd party rep? I always choose 'sales' for Apple and 'disconnect' for AT&T and I usually get someone competent…..usually….When you have an issue, never ever choose billing and even tech support can be iffy :roll eyes:

6. bizack thread starter macrumors 6502

I was told on the phone that a *new* phone would be shipped to me.

And let's say I was okay with a refurb - but a refurb with three very large scratches on the display? And the only way to resolve that issue is to send it back, wait for them to process the return, and then wait for another replacement? I've bought tons of Apple products in the past, and they sent out *new* replacements, and in situations like this, would immediately resolve the issue without asking to place another hold on my card.

----------

I spoke to three supervisors. I eventually said I'm simply going to a) find a new replacement and order for in-store, b) return the first phone and c) drop off the defective refurb at the store. I'm not driving back and forth to FedEx for their *****ty service (they were very adamant about me having to send it back via FedEx... I told them at this point, I'm paying $100 to do their job).

7. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

warranty replacement policy sends people clearly damaged phone?

I have the same issue as OP here, now I am dreading sending my brand new, unbend, unscratched iPhone in and take a huge risk

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yeah I agreed with you. It is not that hard to take it back to the store for refund and go to different Apple store. :apple:

9. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

You need to speak with customer relations. They are the only department that can ship you a retail replacement and did for me. Even allowed me to keep my old box and content.

10. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

I went through this as well. The reps tell you that they can send you a "new" phone, but you have to inquire as to what "new" means. It turned out that "new" meant a service unit so I opted to do a return. I would not take a service unit for a phone I received with 14 days.

----------

How do you reach this department?

----------

By the way, FedEX will come and pick up the phones for you. You just need to schedule a pickup. You don't need to drive to the Apple store.

11. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

Call AppleCare and ask to be connected to Customer Relations, you'll get a dedicated contact assigned through to resolution I.E. a brand new retail replacement.

12. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I would be LIVIN it... oh no they di-int.. haha

anyways, OP, go to the apple store and return that piece. Then I would purchase another one if all else fails. Sure you may have to wait another one, but its just a temporary inconvenience for a month. it beats having to deal with a refurb unit your whole term.

13. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for giving me this information. I wish I had known this option was available a couple of weeks ago. Better late than never!

14. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

Let me know how you get on...

15. aristobrat macrumors G5

Personally, then I would have also done the warranty replacement swap in-store.

Not as convenient as having AppleCare overnighting you a replacement, but at least when you do it in-store, you get to see the replacement phone before you accept it, and can address any issues right then and there.

16. bizack thread starter macrumors 6502

Just contacted them. Said they couldn't do anything since it was an in-store pickup. Ridiculous.

17. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Yeah, *new* to you

18. bizack thread starter macrumors 6502

A *brand new* phone. Jesus, you guys are acting like I'm in the wrong.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sounds like Apple dropped the ball on this one. That said, I've had nothing but stellar service from Apple. Hopefully Apple will take care of you, OP.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's no surprise that anal-retentive customers find Apple customer support terrible.

21. silverblack, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

You are definitely not 'in the wrong'. I feel your frustration from spending hours on the phone. Based on my experience, and from the feedbacks of other users, refurbished Apple products are generally known to be in perfect conditions. What you experienced appeared to be a rare, isolated incident.

Regarding the comment of return vs warranty replacement, when you contact the Apple support for a replacement, it is consider a warranty replacement, and for that, they (technically) will only ship out refurbished phones, not retail boxed ones. You could ask for an exception, but it appeared that Apple's hands are tied given their constrain in supplies. Perhaps, the support department just don't have access to brand new ones, and that's why they pointed to back to the stores.

If I were you, I'd return the replacement phone and the original phone for a full refund. Then wait to buy another one in-person in Apple store, and not settle on anything but a perfect phone. Supplies are getting better going forward, and it should not be long before you find your flawless phone.

22. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You aren't necessarily wrong, but you sure are overreacting. If Apple were to send out a 2nd replacement unit, they'd be taking a huge risk if they didn't place a 2nd hold on your credit card. This shouldn't be hard to understand.

Additionally, Apple warranty replacement units are almost always refurbished, but typically they're in such good shape that you can't tell. This doesn't just Apply to iPhones.

23. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I hear more positive things than negative so it can't be that bad. Especially since the positive encounters are usually not mentioned as often as the negative ones.:rolleyes:

24. monkeymagic730 macrumors member

Lol, your not the only one took me around three weeks and 7 phone calls for a refund.

I think I will stick to purchasing my apple products in store only.

25. bizack thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd like to know how I'm overreacting. It took a long time to find that phone. Then it turns out to be defective. Then Apple says they'll send a *brand new* phone. The phone arrives, it's refurbished, and the screen is pretty scratched up. I contact them, and their response is that they can't do anything. I even offered to put a second hold on my credit card if they could send me a retail-boxed phone. I think I'm being pretty calm, actually.