Apple cutting costs in accessories

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by andreyirra, Dec 23, 2015.

1. andreyirra macrumors regular

I was surprised by the changes made to the packaging of the non sport bands. The package lost the premium feel now that they ditched the plastic cases and use cardboard boxes.

It seems to me like a cutting costs measure. The thing is, it seems inconsistent. They took the time to design a package that was on sale for only 5 months and ditched it. It makes no sense because it didn't even cover a generation of bands. You have to be an early adopter to have bought one with the original packaging and even then remember there weren't meeting the demand so there were even less told. How much would they be saving this way?

The other thing is the classic buckle leather. Yes, the new one looks and feels better than the first generation band. It just that they promoted the first band as made by a traditional and very well known dutch leathery and in the new one the description loses the premium extra of a refined shop that makes the leather. It's just a no name leather. It seems inconsistent.

2. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

You are seriously complaining about the quality of the packaging of an accessory?

This reminds me of a customer that complained to me (working in the computer industry) years ago because the company I worked for switched the packaging on our keyboards from having styrofoam on the top and bottom of the keyboard, to just having it on the top (over the keys). I asked if he had received any damaged keyboards and he said no, but he didn't think the keyboards were packaged well.

You know your products are doing well when people complain about your packaging. My only complain with Apple on packaging is that I think they could do with a lot less of it and still get the products delivered safely.

3. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

Amen bro. Some on here have unrealistic ideals. Cannot believe someone complains about accessory packaging.

4. chuyn macrumors 6502

5. andreyirra thread starter macrumors regular

You can look at them here. http://apple-watch-bands.info/apple-watch-official-bands-unboxing/

Instead of a package like the one used for the appla watch sport they come in the sports band package.

It seems a waste of resources because they designed it and then ditched. They are also trying to sell them as a fashion accessory and ditch the case. All fashion accessories come in storage cases and it seemed natural that the bands come in them too.

6. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

After 7-8 months sitting on a shelf in my office, I'm still trying to figure out what to do with several of the original high-quality plastic boxes.

They seem too good for the recycle bin, but that's most likely where they're headed.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Me too, my brown leather loop box had to be half the cost of the loop. I could not toss them out and saved them both.

8. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I prefer them using cardboard, it's better for the environment than using plastic.

9. chuyn macrumors 6502

Not seeing pictures of the newer "cost cutting" packaging for the non-sport bands. What I see in that link is the sports band in the cardboard (as it always has been), and the leather loop and link bracelet in the hard plastic case.

10. andreyirra thread starter macrumors regular

It's exactly the same. The non sports bands now come in the sports bands package.

11. chuyn macrumors 6502

I understand what you're trying to say, but I just find it hard to believe they'd ditch it so quickly. Hence I was curious to see actual pictures of the other bands in the new packaging.

12. andreyirra thread starter macrumors regular

13. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Talk to traditional watch enthusiasts and ask what they're doing with the presentation boxes they've collected over the years.

14. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

The removal of the plastic boxes from the Classic Buckle and Leather Loops is indeed disappointing, and as you say can only be down to cost cutting. When travelling my Link Bracelet always stays in its plastic box, and it would be nice to be able do the same with the Classic Buckle rather than leaving it loose.

15. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

By the way, they are cutting cost on the package, not necessary accessories.

I love the case all my $150 bands come with, but techically, we are paying for the band, not the package, even though Apple is being nice to give us such good package. :)

16. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

17. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty certain you're paying for the packaging as well. Even if it's cardboard.

18. jasie02, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I guess I am paying for part of Tim also, if I am buying Apple product right?

Added: Have no problem paying for any package to get what I want inside, unless I could get same product from someone else cheaper. There is no other choice, if I want the product, regardless they use a diamond box or tissue paper. What is inside is matter to me, and that's what I pay for. What ever outside is not what I paid for.

19. srshaw macrumors 6502

I have to say I have never since used the plastic box that my classic buckle came in, but it was nice. I have never used the plastic box my ss watch came in either, which is really nice.

I suppose ultimately the packaging doesn't really matter if you aren't going to use it again. Despite this though I think I would rather have packaging, it just gives the impression of a quality product.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good, I'm, glad they're cutting the costs in the packaging. I'd rather see less packaging, Apple not make cut corners in the accessories themselves, or raise prices.

If Apple wants to reduce waste and packaging size, I'm all for that. So what if its not cardboard. that just less plastic around in landfills.

21. pdxa4 macrumors 6502

Leather Loop that was just purchased at an Apple Store, and my Christmas gift came in a nice case.

[​IMG]

22. gman36 macrumors regular

I think they just changed the packaging for the classic leather loops. When they get worn, they don't sit flat in those plastic cases anymore. Which doesn't make for a great storage option because the case cover won't sit flush.

23. Nell macrumors regular

My immediate thought about the plastic cases my AW Sport and Milanese loop came in was that the were nice cases. Obviously I have not used either since and, assuming they surface t some point, they'll end up in the recycling. Cardboard would have been fine. It's the product I use not the box so I'd rather the box did as little damage to the environment as possible.

24. Nell macrumors regular

Actually that's not true. I did use the box the watch came in as storage for extra straps for a while (when I only had a couple). I put them in there to go on holiday in the summer and cursed the amount of unnecessary space it used and the extra weight. And yes, I know, it's not a big box nor an especially heavy one, but it's unwieldy and heavier than it needs to be and the straps are just fine in a soft pouch.

25. CamiMR macrumors regular

CamiMR

Just to add that I've also just bought a leather loop from the Apple Store, and it's also in the plastic box.
    Maybe still old stock?
    I have to admit that I checked before I purchased, I think that for that price it should come with a premium packaging. I think it's very handy for storage.
    [​IMG]