Apple Damaged my MBP During Repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FarSeide, Jun 10, 2009.

1. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

My uMBP was having some screen issues so I sent it in to get it fixed. The turn around time was fairly short (3 Days which included back and forth).. It finally arrived and today and they just tore up my laptop. Scratches and bowed lid...
    it looked like they kicked it down the hall and played soccer with it.

Absolutely furious and on the phone with CR now.

2. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

3. celticpride678

You need to convince them (if they really did do it) that they did it.

4. yoyomaster macrumors regular

I take it you did not take pictures before sending it in to get repaired? but anyways good luck

5. FarSeide thread starter macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

luckily i took pictures of my uMBP before shipping it out. so I definitely have proof.

6. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

My sympathy, good luck. I really hope you took dated pictures of your MBP!

Edit: Just saw your answer (same time!) you were reading my mind!

7. celticpride678

Well, you are clearly thinking. Good Job!:). Now you just need to make sure they do something.

8. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

A few years back I had a 12" PowerBook that I sent into Apple for some repairs. It came back in working condition (more than I can say for it when I sent it off) but when it came back it had a few dings and scratches here and there. At the time I was little p.o.ed because I had been planning on selling it, but now I figure it's just part of life...Apple fixed the problem, which is what they said they would do. They never said they would handle it with white gloves.

9. FarSeide thread starter macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

they scheduled it for another repair to fix all the cosmetic damages along with the screen issues. Again, I will be without my computer for 3-4 days.

This really sucks.

10. cu2010 macrumors 6502

mishandling is absolutely unacceptable, but at least they've decided to fix problems that they've caused. ;)

11. FarSeide thread starter macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

let's just hope that it comes back with fully functional with no cosmetic issues and fixed LCD.

add to this, I left a Express Card Media Reader in the slot and they didnt even send that one back. I know its my fault but damn.. not a good day.

12. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

13. harcosparky macrumors 68020

If you took your car in to the dealer because it was running rough and they gave it back to you running smooth and with a smashed in fender that was not smashed when you gave it to them, would that be acceptable ?????

Apple and its "Authorized Repair Centers" should not do any physical damage to product they repair, and should be held accountable for damage they do cause.

SMART PEOPLE will take DATED PHOTOS of the Notebook BEFORE they send it in to provide proof it was not damaged beforehand.

In my case I would drop it off at an Apple Store and an inspection would be done and any physical damage would be documented before handing it over.

14. cu2010 macrumors 6502

this's absolutely unbelievable! you should have also mentioned about it.
    now what should i do if my mbp needed to be examined in the future... i can't trust those people.

15. FarSeide thread starter macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I took pictures before putting it in the box.

When I called them about the scratches, they wanted me to send them pictures of before and after which I did. After they saw the pics, they apologize for the incident and promised to take care of the issue.

Few minutes of quality pics goes a long way in explaining your case to Apple.

16. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Awh thats unlucky man :( Hope it gets fixed back to the way it was :)

17. eldivino macrumors member

Good luck buddy. Hope it gets fixed right this time. Something like that would make me have a heart attack. Im so anal with my MBP. Only I touch the damn thing... I got the Late 2008 Unibody. Still looks like the first day I got it.

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Always take pictures of expensive things before you send it in for warranty work.

If it is a car, it is worth doing it, since the pictures serve 2 purposes -- showing the condition before the work, and making the record for the insurance company.

Did it to a car before they repaired a fixed window, and it came back with that body panel damaged.

They looked at me and said it was that way when they got it, even though that damage wasn't on the check in condition sheet -- but I showed them a camera and said I'll be back as soon as the pictures are developed to speak to the owner .... :p

Of course the repaint sucked and the window had to be replaced and repainted yet again, along with them fixing a rip near the window in the headliner ... sort of a pain especially when they got overspray on all the other windows and every other car part.

19. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

You should have gone to your apple store near you , they take better care and faster

20. FarSeide thread starter macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Well I finally got my uMBP back after 2 weeks. I was able to escalate this issue to the Executive Relations because Apple continued to delay shipping my uMBP to be because they couldnt figure out the cost code. I've spoke to so many people yet no one knew what the hell was going on with my uMBP.

The uMBP came back with brand new casing, new logicboard (per Apple, they broke a pin while replacing the case), new left speaker (i have no clue why they replaced it) and a VERY LOUD Super Drive. It sounds like a frickn' cat is stuck inside the Superdrive when its spinning.

I dont know what to do at this point because the Executive Relations person that I've been dealing with is SLOW as hell in responding to emails and phone calls.

Am I stuck with this crap now ?

21. qpid macrumors regular

Try taking it to a local store, dealing with people face to face works wonders

22. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That is totally not right. I know for AppleCare over the phone, they ask if you have any cosmetic defects and list if any. Once it gets to the depot, they're suppose to note if what the consumer is true, if not, they are suppose to note it. Something similar should happen at the AppleCare (in the paperwork?). That should offer some control, if the depot finds something, they note it to save their asses. If they find something and fail to note it, that should be Apple's loss. But like everyone said, smart thinking with the pictures.