Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CAPkuang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
I tried to buy the iPhone 5s unlocked today with my debit card but every time I click place order, I get "Your payment authorization failed. Please verify your information and try again, or try another payment method".

I know my billing address and bank account is in good standing because I just used it yesterday. The only explanation I can think of is that my bank, Chase, thinks it is a fraudulent purchase because 650 is very out of the ordinary compared to my normal spending habits but I have spent close to 1000 many times through PayPal so that doesn't really check out.

Does anyone have experience with this error and how to proceed?

Benny-

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
You're best to call Chase to inform them that you authorised the purchase. They may ask you a few questions and then once they give the go ahead you should be able to make the purchase problem free.
Usually the feedback given to retail staff is very limited when a payment is declined so they wouldn't know.
Here is England only a few messages are given when a payment is declined. Either a code 10, card expired, insufficient funds and a generic declined message is feedback to the till.
I've had AMEX block a purchase while abroad I had multiple stop overs and made purchases in three countries in one day, a quick call at everything was fine.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like contacting your bank and/or Apple would be the way to go.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I tried to buy the iPhone 5s unlocked today with my debit card but every time I click place order, I get "Your payment authorization failed. Please verify your information and try again, or try another payment method".

I know my billing address and bank account is in good standing because I just used it yesterday. The only explanation I can think of is that my bank, Chase, thinks it is a fraudulent purchase because 650 is very out of the ordinary compared to my normal spending habits but I have spent close to 1000 many times through PayPal so that doesn't really check out.

Seems like contacting your bank and/or Apple would be the way to go.

Or you could come here and ask a bunch of total strangers. :eek:

pure-rockstar

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Either

-the address is mismatched,
-it's expired, or
-the bank is not accepting it as a precaution.

It's either one of those.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Your bank probably has a maximum daily usage as a debit card. Try using it as a credit card and it should work.

I ran into this when I bought my MBP a bit back at Best Buy. Kept rejecting, so we ran it as credit card instead of debit card and it went through just fine.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

I can't believe you have not called your bank. Call them.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Lol:)
No way, He would rather post a thread and ask a bunch of strangers that have no real definate answer to the question besides guesses and suggestions.
Where's peoples common sense nowadays?

Seriously, it's like some people don't think before posting. Common sense would be to call your bank.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Lol:)
No way, He would rather post a thread and ask a bunch of strangers that have no real definate answer to the question besides guesses and suggestions.
Where's peoples common sense nowadays?

A strange as some of us think this is, there are many questions asked in this forum that make me think about what is going on in the poster's head.

Seems like many are lacking the confidence to make rational decisions with out asking others for help. :rolleyes:

Why would you ask perfect strangers to make choices for you:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.