Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that developers are now able to include short videos in their tvOS App Store descriptions, allowing users to see a tvOS app in action before deciding to download it. Preview videos can be between 15 and 30 seconds, providing a quick look at an app's functionality or gameplay.

appletvappstore-800x298-800x298.jpg
Showcase your tvOS app in action by bringing its features and functionality alive with a short video on the App Store for Apple TV. By providing an app preview, you can help customers better understand your app and encourage more downloads.
Video previews have been available as a way to showcase iOS apps in the App Store since 2014, but have not been extended to the Mac App Store. As with App Store video previews, previews on the tvOS App Store will be available in the same space where screenshots are displayed, but it may take some time for videos to show up as developers need to create and upload content.

Article Link: Apple Debuts App Preview Videos for tvOS

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
There's a bunch of little things the tvOS store needs.

No way to read and write reviews on apps. Can't see user reviews for movies either. Hope this is remedied when the new update comes with keyboard support. Also when the new remote app comes.

I should be able to browse tv apps on any device. They should add an indicator in the price button, much like the "+" does to indicate iPad+iPhone. So the price button should show "+" and "TV" if it supports all iOS or just "TV" if it's only for TV.

Reactions: 2010mini and tonyr6

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Finally. Various things should have been there earlier (they're working on most of them, I presume), but it was kind of mystifying that the one device in your house dedicated to showing video didn't have video previews in the store.

Now if they'd just make the Siri Remote able to control HomeKit (it understands the commands and says, "sorry, I can't help you with HomeKit") - most of the libraries/frameworks/etc are already in place, so I'm sure it'd just be an hour's work, right? ;)
[doublepost=1455765422][/doublepost]
When is Amazon Prime Video coming???? this was promised to arrive in December.
Uh, "promised"? Or "rumored". The ball is in Amazon's court, and they obviously have most of the pieces already, given that it works on iOS, but they appear eager to hurt the Apple TV to give their own Fire TV a leg up - having pulled the former out of their storefront (and banned marketplace sellers from selling it), to "avoid confusion". Uh huh. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2010mini
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.