Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Nothing compelling here. With Apple, I don't even get a blue ray player, not that we have a lot of blue rays, but at least with a $100 sony blue ray player, I get all of these on-line options plus my sony TV automatically switches to the blue ray player when it is turned on and I can play blue ray disks. I wonder which planet these Apple people live on.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Nothing much happening in this update but there isn't much more you can do with the platform apart from improve Siri which they have to a certain extent and maybe add a web browser/ keyboard support, improve app quality.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
only issue with watching shows is commercials. I can't stand them. Is there any way to fast forward commercials like on my dvr? It would make me so much more happy

Ozid

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
Los Angeles
This would be good if the apps would automatically download on the atv since IDK which apps have what w my very basic cable sub.

They said once you log in to your provider, you'll be offered the apps that work with your subscription in a tab in the app store.
[doublepost=1465862666][/doublepost]
Nothing compelling here. With Apple, I don't even get a blue ray player, not that we have a lot of blue rays, but at least with a $100 sony blue ray player, I get all of these on-line options plus my sony TV automatically switches to the blue ray player when it is turned on and I can play blue ray disks. I wonder which planet these Apple people live on.

Wait so you get phone connectivity (airplay) and control (remote), video games, single sign on, voice commands, and a comparable amount of app choices on your blu ray player? My Apple TV (4th Gen) switches my Sony TV when I Airplay or use the remote at all to activate it.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
They said once you log in to your provider, you'll be offered the apps that work with your subscription in a tab in the app store.
[doublepost=1465862666][/doublepost]

Wait so you get phone connectivity (airplay) and control (remote), video games, single sign on, voice commands, and a comparable amount of app choices on your blu ray player? My Apple TV (4th Gen) switches my Sony TV when I Airplay or use the remote at all to activate it.
I'm with you, but IMO the atv needs a lot of improvements still and we didn't see too much of anything w this update. (I own one)

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Recently I've been watching a lot of tv programming on my iPad and when I switch channels need to sign out and log in to the same service provider with each station switch. The other day I was thinking "Why???" so this change really caught my attention. Glad to see it.

Reactions: redfirebird08

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'm curious to know whether this enables h265 hardware decoding capability? We know the A8 supports hardware h265 decoding and encoding, as Apple uses this for facetime video. Pretty sure that apps on iOS can use this hardware capability on iPhones. It should not be difficult to implement in tvOS as well.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

If your TV supports CEC then the Apple TV will take care of turning on/off your TV and switching to the appropriate input for you. You can download the MrMC app and it can play ripped BluRays disks, of course not at 4K. I personally use Kodi and I play any of my 600 ripped DVDs/bluray on both of my Apple TVs from from NAS. Very convent.

Drzed

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
USA Cable Pay Tv users rejoice! For us in the rest of the world sadly the 14 day return window for your ATV has finished :)

Between Siri working with 98% USA only apps and now USA pay tv single sign on, the rest of the world has Dark mode only to get excited about.

Looks like the rumored opening up of Siri API did not eventuate on tvOS. I'm actually doubting it will ever come...let's face it, Apple would prefer you not going outside of their blessed apps to watch your content.

Siri with Plex and Infuse would have been ground breaking....instead we have just have more ways to watch your cable Tv.

Reactions: V.K.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Just so everyone knows,You are the "founder"of this company. From what I can glean from your rather vague video and kickstarter page,you are promising that all the channels you list WILL be available but in reality you are just hoping that MAYBE if enough people support your campaign,the content providers you list will be so impressed that they will change their current policy and say "Wow! so many people want this,why sure you can subscribe to my channel for $3 a month!".Sounds great but you give no indication that it's likely to happen and I doubt it will. If a multi billion dollar company like apple or google can't get it done how will you? Also the cloud dvr that will save us from the horror of having to live with a "bulky dvr" in our house that "racks up a huge electric bill"(seriously-that's what you said LOL)...I may be wrong on this,but haven't such things been struck down by the courts after law suits from content providers? Maybe yours is different,I'm not sure. So it's possible that a supporter could end up with just an ordinary limited streaming box,which would be vastly inferior to an Apple TV,Roku,amazon fire stick or chromecast if your predicted content deals don't materialize,or do I have it totally wrong?

Last edited:
Reactions: MillieWales

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Thank goodness for single sign on, what a pain in the butt that is now, and please hope it doesn't auto sign out every 2 weeks as well...

Word has it only Dish has signed up so far and Comcast is focused on their own single sign-in system. So leave it to the cable companies to screw up an actual useful feature.

Reactions: redfirebird08

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Siri Remote no longer compulsory for games. Looking forward to more console quality games hitting the Apple TV. My MFI controller is kinda collecting dust in one corner.

davemchine

macrumors member
May 7, 2015
I know SlingTV was big on a lot of people's wishlist

SlingTV has really improved over the last few months. Video quality is much improved as is reliability. Still no DVR though. I had hoped for an Apple competitor at one point but haven't heard anything in a long time.
[doublepost=1465874917][/doublepost]
all i want to friggen do is siri search my own library...scrolling down a list of 1000+ movies is a joke on the AT4
AMEN brother. "Siri play movie mans favorite sport" and Siri takes me to the iTunes Store instead of my own library. Just plain stupid. What's worse is I think it works this way on purpose. Apple can't make money from our existing library so they keep minimizing any features associated with it.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
My ATV is in a drawer. I gave up on it a few months ago. It offers nothing that I can't get in other ways, except iTunes and its implementation of that is so awful it's unusable.

The WWDC offers nothing compelling. I note that this thread is the shortest of all those devoted to yesterday's announcements. ATV is surely Apple's weakest product by some margin.

Darrin Bell

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Game changer....Roku, Amazon and Google don't have it.
I don't know. I don't really consider multiple simultaneous sign-ins to be a game-changer. Signing in to a handful of apps takes a couple minutes at most. And I haven't had to sign back in to any of them in years, on my Roku. Searching by topic sounds good, but for me it doesn't outweigh the lack of Amazon Video support.

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
Just so everyone knows,You are the "founder"of this company. From what I can glean from your rather vague video and kickstarter page,you are promising that all the channels you list WILL be available but in reality you are just hoping that MAYBE if enough people support your campaign,the content providers you list will be so impressed that they will change their current policy and say "Wow! so many people want this,why sure you can subscribe to my channel for $3 a month!".Sounds great but you give no indication that it's likely to happen and I doubt it will. If a multi billion dollar company like apple or google can't get it done how will you? Also the cloud dvr that will save us from the horror of having to live with a "bulky dvr" in our house that "racks up a huge electric bill"(seriously-that's what you said LOL)...I may be wrong on this,but haven't such things been struck down by the courts after law suits from content providers? Maybe yours is different,I'm not sure. So it's possible that a supporter could end up with just an ordinary limited streaming box,which would be vastly inferior to an Apple TV,Roku,amazon fire stick or chromecast if your predicted content deals don't materialize,or do I have it totally wrong?

Interesting. The biggest hurdle with any streaming device is contracts with content providers, whereas the Kickstarter page mostly talks about the hardware. For a tiny box that gets hidden away I couldn't care what it looks like, I care about what I CAN watch on it.

I'd also worry that with a team of 16 people between them they could only generate around $130 each. For such an incredible product they should easily be able to convince 10 friends and family members each to support them with a couple of hundred dollars.

Maybe they too are worried they could have a pretty box that didn't have any content?

When you put an advert up practically begging for money and stating you have he future for TV you should have the balls to at least be honest that it's your product. Im not sure - do MR allow and support free publicity like that?

whoiare

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
SlingTV has really improved over the last few months. Video quality is much improved as is reliability. Still no DVR though. I had hoped for an Apple competitor at one point but haven't heard anything in a long time.
[doublepost=1465874917][/doublepost]
AMEN brother. "Siri play movie mans favorite sport" and Siri takes me to the iTunes Store instead of my own library. Just plain stupid. What's worse is I think it works this way on purpose. Apple can't make money from our existing library so they keep minimizing any features associated with it.

yup.. at least give me one more click to the right to be able to swipe through the alphabet. trying to get to "s" without accidentally swiping right to genres and messing up my place on the list is the most frustrating thing ive ever encountered with an apple product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.