Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today debuted "Hooked," a true-crime podcast, seemingly as the company's first wholly standalone original podcast series.

apple-original-podcast-hooked.jpg

While Apple has already begun its venture into original podcasts with the likes of "Oprah's Book Club" and "For All Mankind: The Official Podcast," Hooked is the first Apple Original podcast that is seemingly not tied to an Apple TV+ series in any way.

"The Line" debuted earlier this year as an independent podcast, but it is set to be accompanied by an Apple TV+ documentary series of the same name later in the fall. Hooked, on the other hand, has no apparent link to an Apple TV+ series. Hooked is still published by Apple TV+ in Apple Podcasts and it remains unclear if Apple will create a dedicated channel for Apple Original podcasts. Hooked is produced by Campside Media, and Apple describes the series as follows:
When Tony Hathaway was arrested outside a Seattle bank in February 2014, it brought an end to one of the most prolific bank robbery streaks in American history. Hathaway robbed 30 banks in a single year, all within a 30-mile radius of his suburban home. But that’s not the most surprising part of this story. Before Hathaway was a masterful bank robber—a shape-shifting professional who confounded multiple police departments and the FBI—he was a top design engineer at Boeing, one of America’s most important companies. Hathaway traveled the world in business class, working on the 747, while hiding a gigantic secret: an OxyContin addiction that ultimately unraveled his life. Based on three years of conversations between Hathaway and journalist Josh Dean, Hooked is a different kind of crime story that takes listeners on an exceptional and very personal tour of America’s opioid epidemic.
Apple has ramped up its podcast production output over the past year and is rumored to be working on a podcast streaming subscription service to better compete with Spotify. Hooked appears to be another step toward bolstering Apple Podcasts' ability to rival Spotify.

The first three episodes of Hooked are available now in the Apple Podcasts app or via RSS in other podcast players, with new episodes becoming available on Wednesdays.

Yesterday, Apple Podcasts gained two new subscription-based channels: BBC Studios and Slate. BBC Studios gives subscribers in the U.S. and Canada access to shows that were previously only accessible in the UK.

Article Link: Apple Debuts True-Crime Podcast 'Hooked' as First Standalone Original

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Before Hathaway was a masterful bank robber...he was a top design engineer at Boeing...Hathaway traveled the world in business class, working on the 747, while hiding a gigantic secret: an OxyContin addiction that ultimately unraveled his life.

Perhaps you need to be high on Oxy to design something as awful as the butterfly keyboard and think it's a good idea.

mrllama

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2021
Ohio
Isn't the opioid addiction and bank robberies a central part of the Apple TV+ film Cherry? Maybe the background differs between that and Hooked but it seems like the rising action part of this story is already on Apple TV+.

McKodiak

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
With the embedded podcast preview in the article, I started thinking Apple made a Podcast web app... Nope.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
This sounds pretty interesting. I’m definitely going to give this a go.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
This podcast has no interest for me. I actually prefer reading.
I prefer to read as well. It allows you to conjure up the image in your own head. However, I can never find the time to read so tend to when I’m in bed and because my eyes get so tired I have to listen to audio books otherwise I can only read about one page before my eyes start closing! Annoying!

Reactions: SFjohn
I like my  App Store as it is: closed and secure. Consumers have choices outside of the Apple ecosystem - there is a wide range of Android, Linux, and Windows operating systems. Please avoid messing with what consumers have. We have options and choice currently in regards to technology. Apple has no monopoly in any market so why try to make them into something they are not and let them retain their uniqueness.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
I prefer to read as well. It allows you to conjure up the image in your own head. However, I can never find the time to read so tend to when I’m in bed and because my eyes get so tired I have to listen to audio books otherwise I can only read about one page before my eyes start closing! Annoying!
I actually use this as a tool to let me know when to call it a night. I read on my iPad Air, late at night in bed, and when I’m really sleepy my iPad hits me in the forehead. I shut it down at that point and sleep is very nearly instantaneous. It’s my alarm clock for bedtime. 💤

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
This podcast has no interest for me. I actually prefer reading.
I prefer reading, but that's difficult to do while going for walks. I listen to a lot of podcasts, and some audiobooks, when out walking or when commuting (not doing nearly as much of that these days). For those scenarios, they're great.

In any case, given that they're describing this as a podcast (and there's mentions of it being based on a book), rather than as an audiobook, I'm not sure reading it is an option.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
I prefer reading, but that's difficult to do while going for walks. I listen to a lot of podcasts, and some audiobooks, when out walking or when commuting (not doing nearly as much of that these days). For those scenarios, they're great.

In any case, given that they're describing this as a podcast (and there's mentions of it being based on a book), rather than as an audiobook, I'm not sure reading it is an option.
Makes total sense if your out for a walk or run. I would find it distracting, but I sometimes enjoy listening to music out doing those thing. I believe I’m just not a podcast type of person.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I actually use this as a tool to let me know when to call it a night. I read on my iPad Air, late at night in bed, and when I’m really sleepy my iPad hits me in the forehead. I shut it down at that point and sleep is very nearly instantaneous. It’s my alarm clock for bedtime. ?
Initially I thought you meant your iPad hits you in the forehead and sleep is instantaneous due to being knocked out. I then read your reply properly!

I should probably find some time just to read, it's such a great way to escape.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
It’s a really interesting podcast. Well produced. I don’t care that it has a common name, as it’s from a book of the same name. It’s an open discussion with many police, his colleagues and of course, Tony (the offender). It’s as much about addiction as it is anything else. No excuses, just an open discussion and interviews.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Isn’t there a whole Apple TV show where they do just that? I’ve been meaning to watch that, it sounds really cool.
I wasn't a big fan of Calls (AppleTV) but I can see it would be okay for some.

There's a film called Guilty (Netflix) starring Jake Gyllenhaal where he is a police officer on 911 calls. You only ever see him and the few around him, but it is very graphic, even though it’s just a series of phone calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.