Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NYPost reports that despite Apple having leased a spot diagonally across from the Empire State Building on 34th street in New York City, they have decided against building an Apple Store at that location.
Small buildings on the site were demolished. Merchants on West 34th Street - where stores like Banana Republic and Victoria's Secret have been replacing schlocky discounters - looked forward to another spectacular Apple emporium like the one on Fifth Avenue.
According to the Post, Steve Jobs determined "this is not for Apple" after seeing the location and run-down building across the street.

Apple reportedly pays $5,906,692 in annualized rent and is putting the site up for sublease.

Article Link: Apple Decides Against 34th Street Apple Store in NYC

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I honestly think NYC can take as many Apple Stores as Apple is willing to build. People will still flock to them. Right now, the three stores they DO have are always overcrowded.

But yeah... 34th Street is a terrible location. Too tacky and touristy. The upcoming Upper West Side location is perfect. I think the East Village would be a great location -- young, hip & trendy. But that might be too many locations downtown for them. Flatiron or Grand Central areas might make sense too.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Stick a mini-Apple Store in the New Hartford NY Best Buy. I don't want to keep going to Albany or Syracuse for my iFix.

Good move, Apple. The location is certainly not you, and 4 NYC stores just seems a bit overkill if you ask me.

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
go to an Apple store in NYC and you will understand why they want more built there. The 24 hour CUBE one near the park is crowded at 3am!!! During the day you can't even walk inside.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
I honestly think NYC can take as many Apple Stores as Apple is willing to build. People will still flock to them. Right now, the three stores they DO have are always overcrowded.

But yeah... 34th Street is a terrible location. Too tacky and touristy. The upcoming Upper West Side location is perfect. I think the East Village would be a great location -- young, hip & trendy. But that might be too many locations downtown for them. Flatiron or Grand Central areas might make sense too.
A good place in the City would be maybe in Queens so you don't have to go to Roosevelt Field or Staten Island or Manhattan, like Queens Center Mall. But by South Street Seaport would be nice.

go to an Apple store in NYC and you will understand why they want more built there. The 24 hour CUBE one near the park is crowded at 3am!!! During the day you can't even walk inside.
Thats why if I go to the store in the city I take the L train to the West 14th Store, that one is not as crowded at 5th Ave.

is that 6million for just that one location???
Yes ONE location, do you know what the real estate in New York is like? You should look it up. An apartment could cost you $2.4 million, and thats for a 2 bed 2 bath.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'm sure Apple knew what was at this location before they started renting it. I think the economic downturn changed their minds not the location.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
There's already a Mac specialty store in Park Slope, I have never been there but I read about it in the newspaper. I can see Apple putting one in Downtown Brooklyn, that would be pretty accessible to most. In this economy I don't think you will see it happen though.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
There was a rumor that they were putting one up on Wall St.

I can see why they didn't do 34st. Although it would have been a good spot for the commuter traffic.

I'm surprised they didn't find anything in the Times Square area.

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008

What a load of Apple RDF nonsense. :cool:
Every time I go to the SoHo - recently it took 4 ****in' visits to get a MB hDD replaced :mad: - it wasn't even half full, let alone overcrowded (thanks God, I must add.)

But yeah... 34th Street is a terrible location. Too tacky and touristy.

Ummm, yeah sure, that's not good for a... hmmm, retail store...? :rolleyes:

The upcoming Upper West Side location is perfect.

For UWS folks, yes...

I think the East Village would be a great location

For selling more Macbooks and iPod for dormies, yes...

-- young, hip & trendy.

Jeez, you sound like a really cheesy, cheap real estate agent - a lot of meaningless empty cliches... "young" - I guess but way too much 40s guy who likes to fish around there, "hip" and "trendy" - ehhehehe, for who? For clueless NYU kids coming from countryside, perhaps. :p

But that might be too many locations downtown for them. Flatiron or Grand Central areas might make sense too.

Silicon Alley: sounds cool but too close to the SoHo and W14th stores IMO.
GC? Perhaps... dunno, I always thought there are a lot transit mass, not locales (e.g. switching from subway to train etc.)

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Next to the IKEA would be a good location.

Haha, now you're funny - Apple in Red Hook? :eek:

"Coming for your methadone fix? Just "tripping" around here? Get yourself a new iPod before you take it!"

:rolleyes: :D

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
There's already a Mac specialty store in Park Slope, I have never been there but I read about it in the newspaper. I can see Apple putting one in Downtown Brooklyn, that would be pretty accessible to most. In this economy I don't think you will see it happen though.

Destroying the local Apple-loyal businesses never been a problem for Jobs and as a long-time PS resident and an IT person I can tell you that probably out of all the neighborhoods in the five boroughs Park Slope sports the highest number of Macs/Mac users per capita, I'm almost 100% sure (Williamsburg could come close in the future but they still have a lot of crappy streets to 'pretty up'...;))
It would be a pretty sure business to open one but if you think about it Apple typically prefers areas where chances for walk-in sales are the highest IMO.

flottenheimer

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Apple should forget all about yet another Apple Store in N.Y.
N.Y. is spoiled.
What Apple need to do is to open an Apple Store in Denmark. Just one, please.

In the July/August issue of Monocle (Tyler Brûlés monthly style bible), Copenhagen was ranked no. 1 among "The World's 25 Top Cities for Quality of life". In addition the magazine proclaims the capital of Denmark as "Best Design City".

Yet we don't have a single official Apple Store in Denmark.
Come on Apple. Your retail magic would be a perfect fit over here.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Apple should forget all about yet another Apple Store in N.Y.
N.Y. is spoiled.
What Apple need to do is to open an Apple Store in Denmark. Just one, please.

In the July/August issue of Monocle (Tyler Brûlés monthly style bible), Copenhagen was ranked no. 1 among "The World's 25 Top Cities for Quality of life". In addition the magazine proclaims the capital of Denmark as "Best Design City".

Yet we don't have a single official Apple Store in Denmark.
Come on Apple. Your retail magic would be a perfect fit over here.
They do need another store somewhere in the 5 boroughs but not Manhattan because allot of the people who visit the Apple Store's in Manhattan are from Queens and Brooklyn. Since the 5th Ave store is always crowded and they need to spread the crowd around the boroughs. And I wouldn't say that we are spoiled, come here and you will see, how do you know if your all the way in Denmark?

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC

Attachments

• apple-store-man4-071010-1.jpg
    apple-store-man4-071010-1.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 2,721

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
You mean somewhere in the middle? Along the BedSty-East NY-Jamaica line? Suuuure! :cool:
That is, my friend, a hard-core ghetto line, IMO the worst part of NYC.
I'm not talking about along that line but anywhere between those 2 locations, by the map I'm just showing you how far the 2 locations are by public transit. We need an Apple Store in Queens and/or Brooklyn somewhere between the 2 stores so we don't have to go to 5th Ave, West 14th or Roosevelt Field. I always go to the Roosevelt Field location because I'm always by Queens Center Mall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.