Apple definitely should have included 29w+usbc cable

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I know I got an insane deal on my 12.9pp from my own researching and Best Buy, and luckily I had a 29w from also having rMB, but

When I got the 2m usbc to lightning cable, it charges so much faster. I can actually use the device and see the percent go up quick! Magical!

It's crazy there's now a premium on charging a device in a reasonable timeframe instead of just overnight or on a 'no rush whatsoever' cadence

This is just my two cents,

$49+$25 to $35 is a silly privilege price point for what should have been properly spec' d

No one else seems to carry it but Apple and a few retailers, ah monopoly at its finest,

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
I know I got an insane deal on my 12.9pp from my own researching and Best Buy, and luckily I had a 29w from also having rMB, but

When I got the 2m usbc to lightning cable, it charges so much faster. I can actually use the device and see the percent go up quick! Magical!

It's crazy there's now a premium on charging a device in a reasonable timeframe instead of just overnight or on a 'no rush whatsoever' cadence

This is just my two cents,

$49+$25 to $35 is a silly privilege price point for what should have been properly spec' d

No one else seems to carry it but Apple and a few retailers, ah monopoly at its finest,
If they only included a USB-C cable and no standard USB cable many people might have a problem too. My nights are normally long enough no load it but I must assume that charging at day time quickly would be nice in some occasions....

Reactions: Skika and ShaunAFC3

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
My perspective on the whole issue:
Option 1: ship a slower charger but with a cable that everyone can use for syncing.

Option 2: ship a fast charger, incurring more cost that must either be absorbed or passed on to the customer, and leave the customer with a USB-C cable 99.9% of people cannot use for syncing.

Option 3: include both USB-A and USB-C. Too expensive and inelegant.

Option 4: include USB-C and an adapter. Ditto.

They had to do what they did.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
You can get 3rd party charges on eBay for around $20. I got my genuine Apple units from B&H with no sales tax and free shipping.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
My perspective on the whole issue:
Or they could have designed a usb-a 29w charger, just like when they made the leap from 10w to 12w at some point for the 9.7 variations,

IPad mini shouldn't have an iPhone cube charger either imo,

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Or they could have designed a usb-a 29w charger, just like when they made the leap from 10w to 12w at some point for the 9.7 variations,

IPad mini shouldn't have an iPhone cube charger either imo,
The leap from 10W to 12W was achieved by pushing the USB 2 power spec tolerance levels to the limit.

Are there any USB-A chargers on the market higher than 12W? I know the spec for USB 3.1 allows up to 100W but haven't seen that done in practice with USB-A.

Pushing 29W over USB-A would necessitate making new USB 3 Lightning cables, and visually identical but functionally different cables would get so confusing for the average consumer.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
The leap from 10W to 12W was achieved by pushing the USB 2 power spec tolerance levels to the limit.

Are there any USB-A chargers on the market higher than 12W? I know the spec for USB 3.1 allows up to 100W but haven't seen that done in practice with USB-A.

Pushing 29W over USB-A would necessitate making new USB 3 Lightning cables, and visually identical but functionally different cables would get so confusing for the average consumer.
Oh gotcha. Didn't realize there was a bunch of hurdles involved.

I guess I wish stock charger charged faster was bottom line

960design

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Or they could have designed a usb-a 29w charger, just like when they made the leap from 10w to 12w at some point for the 9.7 variations...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I remember the 12w for the iPad 4 and the iPad Air, but I believe Apple went back to the 10w for the Air 2 and the Pro. I have two 12w chargers and two 10w chargers and am not sure which iPads they came with.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I remember the 12w for the iPad 4 and the iPad Air, but I believe Apple went back to the 10w for the Air 2 and the Pro. I have two 12w chargers and two 10w chargers and am not sure which iPads they came with.
Pretty much. They went back to 10W with the Air. This list hasn't been updated for the 9.7" Pro yet though, but that has 10W in the box. The 12.9" has a 12W. :)

image.jpeg