Apple definitely should have included 29w+usbc cable

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thadoggfather, May 8, 2016.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I know I got an insane deal on my 12.9pp from my own researching and Best Buy, and luckily I had a 29w from also having rMB, but

When I got the 2m usbc to lightning cable, it charges so much faster. I can actually use the device and see the percent go up quick! Magical!

It's crazy there's now a premium on charging a device in a reasonable timeframe instead of just overnight or on a 'no rush whatsoever' cadence

This is just my two cents,

$49+$25 to $35 is a silly privilege price point for what should have been properly spec' d

No one else seems to carry it but Apple and a few retailers, ah monopoly at its finest,

2. AlexJoda macrumors regular

AlexJoda

If they only included a USB-C cable and no standard USB cable many people might have a problem too. My nights are normally long enough no load it but I must assume that charging at day time quickly would be nice in some occasions....

3. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

My perspective on the whole issue:

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

You can get 3rd party charges on eBay for around $20. I got my genuine Apple units from B&H with no sales tax and free shipping.

5. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Or they could have designed a usb-a 29w charger, just like when they made the leap from 10w to 12w at some point for the 9.7 variations,

IPad mini shouldn't have an iPhone cube charger either imo,

6. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

The leap from 10W to 12W was achieved by pushing the USB 2 power spec tolerance levels to the limit.

Are there any USB-A chargers on the market higher than 12W? I know the spec for USB 3.1 allows up to 100W but haven't seen that done in practice with USB-A.

Pushing 29W over USB-A would necessitate making new USB 3 Lightning cables, and visually identical but functionally different cables would get so confusing for the average consumer.

7. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Oh gotcha. Didn't realize there was a bunch of hurdles involved.

I guess I wish stock charger charged faster was bottom line

8. 960design macrumors 68000

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I remember the 12w for the iPad 4 and the iPad Air, but I believe Apple went back to the 10w for the Air 2 and the Pro. I have two 12w chargers and two 10w chargers and am not sure which iPads they came with.

9. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Pretty much. They went back to 10W with the Air. This list hasn't been updated for the 9.7" Pro yet though, but that has 10W in the box. The 12.9" has a 12W. :)

image.jpeg