Apple deleting posts again - iPhone 4 antenna issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robains, Jul 22, 2010.

1. robains macrumors regular

robains

Forwarding Email I got from Apple:

Apple seem a little more paranoid than normal these days. I really just wanted to see if the rubber case that is now given out free is effective at dealing with the Antenna issue or if perhaps other cases are better or for that matter if there really is an issue that can be quantified.

Worries me when a company doesn't want quantified information.

Rob

2. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Seems like a poll or petition, in direct violation of their posting guidelines.

Should I start a thread on the Apple forums every time MacRumors warns me about consecutive posting?

3. robains thread starter macrumors regular

robains

So what do you suggest for gathering information about the effectiveness of the cases, if there is indeed a problem, or what cases are better than others?

I wanted quantified results not the usual "It's great, It sucks" type of responses. How can I get that information without it being "flagged" as a Poll -- I mean pretty much any question could be deemed a "poll".

Rob

4. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

5. ddavid macrumors regular

Well, a savvy pollster would do it in a conversational way and compile the results, asking follow-up questions as necessary. Don't make your poll look like a poll to keep from violating the terms of service.

6. 101AirAssault macrumors member

So you break forum rules and you're upset that they deleted your thread? Seems a bit odd but ok.

7. robains thread starter macrumors regular

robains

Would not use the word "upset" - a bit strong. Not the first time Apple have deleted a post of mine and/or others - pretty common occurance. What striked me as odd was they seem a little more paranoid than normal with the "antenna" issue.

8. robains thread starter macrumors regular

robains

I see, that might work ... would mean I'd need to ask the same followup questions to each and everyone that responds in order to get the same effective results. Worky, but doable.

Although, I guess Apple would eventually figure it out and use any number of "violation of terms" arguements -- the terms are so open ended they can justify just about any deletion.

I'm sure China would welcome Apple ... maybe even learn a few tricks ;)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple's forum and you have to play by apple's rules. If not the posts/threads get deleted. I don't know why people come to other forums to complain about it, when their usage agreement explicit on what type of content is allowed there.

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

11. robains thread starter macrumors regular

robains

Asking a question could be deemed as a poll. Apple's policy is not explict ... it is VERY open ended and most likely that is intentional -- more freedom to delete whatever they want.

Apparently getting this type of information is going to be difficult, unfortunate -- I'll try some re-wording and see if that works - any and all suggestions on how to word this (without violating Apple's terms) would be most appreciated.

My readings so far isn't turning up much -- just the usual "it sucks, or it's great". In the past, data that's been hard to find often has a reason associated with it why it's hard to find.

I've googled a lot of "reports of fixes", but NONE of them provide any real data results to back up their claims. Obviously we can't trust signal strength bars either since they are manipulated by software and could read whatever Apple wants it to read.

Going by Apple's information alone is certainly not consumer prudent ... I like to try and get as close to reality as possible -- looking at claims from all sides (Apples, consumers, consumer reports, media, etc.).

Rob.

12. darknyt macrumors 6502a

I sure hope we aren't all pretending Apple deleted those posts to protect the sanctity of the user experience . . . .

13. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Not to be rude. But what exactly is the point of your original post. Apple has put this issue to bed. They are not going to do anything else. They have basically offered customers a free bumper/case to help alleviate the problem or a complete refund. It really doesn't matter at this point what new information is collected, because in Apple's eyes the issue has been put to bed.

14. 101AirAssault macrumors member

Bigger question is why do you care? Why would any one case be better than another? Get a case you like and move on with your life.

It was a big enough deal to you that you felt the need to make a thread on another forum talking about the "deleted thread" so yeah, I would say you're upset about it.

15. pharmx macrumors regular

I'm not sure if you're being serious, or if you truly don't understand the difference between conducting a poll and asking a few questions as part of a discussion. To then claim that Apple is being paranoid for deleting a post that clearly violates the ToS for the site is just plain silly. In fact, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked/deleted yet, lol.

But if you truly were looking for "quantified results" and not just trying to stir the pot...you could try using the same methodology in a site that allows polling options, such as this one. However, if you do a quick search, I think you'll find that there are several threads already asking the same or similar questions.....so start mining that data! ;)