Apple denied Apple Care+ on iPhone 6 because "LCD shadowing", said to return phone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuyAZ, Sep 23, 2014.

1. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

Read this on another forum, has someone seen this "LCD shadowing" problem that the are referring to?

"I rolled into an Apple Store today to add apple care to my 6, and was politely refused. The reason? Turns out some of the units shipped with "lcd shadowing" around the area of the power button. Sure enough, on a solid white screen there was what looked liked a faint shadow. One the guy pointed it out it became very noticeable. I was told to take the phone back to Verizon to exchange."

2. epphllps macrumors 6502

Do you still have that unit? If so is there any chance you can post a picture?? I'm curious about this one.

3. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Wasn't mine, saw it on another forum and apparently the person already returned the phone to Verizon and is waiting on a replacement.

4. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Poor business practice on Apple's part.

How can a company deny an extended warranty on a product that was only released a few days ago?

Apple sux!

5. nandopr macrumors regular

nandopr

I added my Apple Care + over the phone by calling them. They ran a quick test using a test message. Things were ok. I hope you are able to exchange it. Specially when is not your fault.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Looks like Apple is doing him a favor. If they simply swapped it out under standard warranty (as they'd be allowed to do), they won't be able to add AC+ after the fact.

7. shaunmed macrumors regular

whatd difference between apple care and apple care plus?

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They could just add Apple Care and then swap it out... Chances of him finding a unit at a Verizon store are going to be slim.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They apparently have a policy of not adding AC+ to defective iPhones, hence the need to check them first.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am not disagreeing with you about policy (although they can add it to a phone that has never been opened and also over the phone withing 60 days of purchase).

I am simply saying, if they wanted to help the guy, it's totally within heir power to do so. I don't feel what they did was do him a favor, really. That's all. :)

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Why can't they add AC+ after the fact? I mean given the timeframe and that it's obviously a manufacturing defect? Why shouldn't he/she be allowed to add AC+?

----------

Well I understand that if the phone has been for a while and the person was trying to score AC+ + $79 replacement instead of paying the more expensive replacement cost. But the phone has been out for only a few days... and it's a manufacturing defect not damage caused by the user.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I suspect they wanted Verizon to use their own stock of iPhone for the exchange when it comes to AC+. If it were purchased through Apple then it'd obviously be different.

Another reason why I always buy all my iPhones through Apple rather than the carrier.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I honestly don't see what difference it makes. It all goes back to Apple in the end. Apple makes all the iPhones. Verizon gets them from Apple.

14. Snot Rox macrumors 6502

Snot Rox

When I had my 5s, I've purchased it through T-Mobile and when it had a defect, Apple took it and swapped it with a refurb from their own stock. Perhaps it just may be up to store management on how they'd want to handle it?

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The carriers have to pay Apple upfront for their own stock (which they recoup from customers through service agreements plus some) whereas when we purchase through Apple they collect the $199/299/399 from us and the carriers pay the rest after the sale. So it does make a difference whose stock the exchange has to happen, even only for tracking purposes.

Yes, they're obligated to do that with defective iPhones bought anywhere and it comes out of the separate white box replacement stock. The OP would've had no problem swapping it out with a white box replacement iPhone but I guess the issue is adding AC+ after the fact. I bet it has more to do with tracking purposes or some other reason we're not aware of.

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

My question was why can't they add AC+ if they do that?

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wish I had an answer for that. There must be a reason we're not aware of.