iPad mini Apple deserves credit for a smooth iPad Mini Retina launch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spinstorm, Nov 14, 2013.

1. spinstorm macrumors 65816

I am very impressed with how Apple has handled the Retina Mini launch.

All models are available online and will be delivered in at most 2 weeks.

Everyday here in the UK where I am the local Apple stores have Retina Mini stock that you can reserve and collect. I understand the same is true in the US as well.

I have managed to walk into Apple stores and get 2 retina minis this week. No hassle. No queuing all night long in the cold.

The fact is for a device that is in such short supply Apple have done a great job.Of course not every model is available in store everyday but it is relatively easy to get a new Mini.

I just hope Apple continues this method of releasing new products into the future!

2. GBR macrumors 6502

I wish I could say the same.... Been trying to get a LTE rMini, my local apple store has yet to receive a single LTE unit.... With the decent availability of LTE units elsewhere I'm very disappointed.

3. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Apples launches have lost respect from me after the gold iPhone. They market the gold more then any other phone, put that color in every advertisement but never have any in stock in Northern Cali? Not even SF???

4. GBR macrumors 6502

I have to agree with this as well. The severe lack of gold iphone stock is actually pathetic this long after launch.

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Umm it's called business and marketing. And it's not like you can't get a gold iPhone you can certainly order it like everyone else.

6. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

i ordered 4 of them from att, and yes it takes a while but you have to put an order in to get in line so to speak.

7. Hoyasaxa macrumors member

Customer service has been off the charts this week. No hassle/no charge changes to shipping, free cases basically just for calling in.

They certainly did as much right that was in their control as they could.

8. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Doing a soft launch was BRILLIANT, and unexpected really.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Unfortunately, it just doesn't work that way.

You see, for every launch with severe supply constraints and weeks of long lines, Tim Cook is faulted for either failing to execute, or artificially constraining supply to generate buzz, and therefore Apple is doomed OHNOES!

When things go smoothly, it's speculated that there just isn't enough demand, there are no lines because no one is actually BUYING the product, and Tim Cook if faulted for failing to innovate, therefore Apple is doomed OHNOES!

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Agreed. I expected orders to be backed up to December almost immediately. Handled very well.

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

No, I cannot. Because I cannot order a Verizon device only.

12. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

The iPad Air was a good launch with good supply.
    The iPad Mini was not.

Since initial reports indicate display issues I have to believe Apple concluded that a Mini release with zero fan fair would minimize the heat they will take.

14. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

15. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

My order for 64 gb lte is still processing... Ordered release date . I get the feeling lte iPads in 64 and 128 gb versions are being made as they receive orders ... I doubt anyone in the whole world has got a 64 or 128 gb lte version ipad retina mini .... Surely at least a few customers would have got it by now ? ... I'm telling you they are probably going to start making them now ... So really it's a pre order sort of .

16. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I've seen a few posts from people in the US who got 64GB LTE's via reservation and store pick up.

17. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

That's funny -

1) No announcement publicly of sale of iPad mini
    2) You still cannot walk into an apple store and buy one
    3) You have to walk into an apple store, tell the geek you want an iPad mini retina and they will tell you to order one off the apple.com site and select pick up at store
    3b) you wait 1/2 hr for that email verification letter to say it's ready for pickup.
    4) You bring home only to realize the screen is super clear and sharp but the colors are lacking.
    5) You come here to MR and declare your disappointment with the rest of us and there are many who claim it makes no difference because it's finally retina...until generation 3 comes out having full color gamut and then you see people write threads on "how much can I sell this iPad mini retina (gen 2) for?"

So I don't give apple any credit - they are just milking all you iSheeps model after model!

18. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

Was that meant to cheer me up:(

19. NovemberWhiskey, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

They marketed it because it was the newest color, and a flashy color for an advertisement that will catch the eye. If you see an ad for a black/white iphone, nothing looks new. But for the first time, a new color had been introduced.

They limited supplies because they did market research and found that customers were less likely to actually buy this color, and made 1/4 gold accordingly. This created a shortage, which triggered incredible demand early on by speculators and early adopters, which led to shortages.

It's not a blunder, or a fumble. And they certainly did not do it to antagonize people.

If I create a hot pink lambo, I would probably put it in all the ads to catch eyes. Then use those eyes to introduce the new features. It doesn't mean I am going to make all my lambos pink. I am guessing very few people would actually want that.

To OP:

What was so impressive about it? They just did a silent launch. The perk being that only hardcore fans would know, and they would all get their shot before the general populace. I'm not even sure if the general public really knows it is out. I've been to the store twice this week, and it has been empty and they have almost all (but LTE) in stock.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I am not a marketeer, but I am pretty sure this doesn't make any sense. Use the color less likely to be bought to advertise it? :confused: Ummmmkay...

21. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I read on Twitter that there are burn in image retention issues with the Mini. Cult of Mac said it. Glad I'm waiting till tax time to get one.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

From an AAPL investment perspective Apple wasted a lot of money not having Personal Pickup operational from the start. We've seen more than a few anecdotal stories of people ordering online b/c pickup wasn't an option immediately then using pickup when it became available later in the day. By the time they picked up their Mini locally it was too late to cancel the online order. So Apple ends up shipping a lot of Minis out that will be immediately returned. Cost of shipping & returning eats into the margins when multiplied by thousands.

Logistically that part is a fail, but I do appreciate Apple doing a quiet launch so purchases could be made in a civilized, non-carnival, atmosphere.

----------

It was a "fear" like the original Retina MBP had, but 100% speculation only. Also the burn-in like the MBP had isn't the same as in the old plasma or CRT burn-in days. This burn-in is invisible to the human eye. But of all the screen moaning burn-in is one issue I haven't heard actual users complain about.

23. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I already explained it.

1. You catch attention wherein this is a first for the iphone (brand-new never-before-seen color).
    2. You differentiate it from last year's product, indicating that it is new.
    3. For some, gold instills the imagery of luxury and sophistication. Not a bad thing to do in an ad.

It doesn't mean that it will be the most popular color, and it doesn't mean it will be the best-selling color; and thus, I don't produce 3/4s of my supply in gold. It's also a brand-new color, so we test the market with a small initial production (and/or we did market research).

What is so hard to understand? The best selling Acura was probably the Integra, TL, or RL in the 90s; but they put the NSX in a lot of ads. Why? For the same reasons: 1. catch attention; 2. it's new; 3. brand image.

24. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

6) Then android/msft/non-apple fans come to an apple fan web site to complain about the purchasing decisions of others.

I'd give Apple alot of credit for #6.