Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Apple design chief Jonathan Ive is knighted

Jonathan Ive - the British designer responsible for Apple's iMac, iPod, iPhone and iPad - has been knighted at Buckingham Palace.

Apple's senior vice-president of industrial design has said he is "both humbled and sincerely grateful" for the "absolutely thrilling honour".

Source: BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18171093

Last edited:

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Indeed. Nice to see someone genuinely deserving of the title being awarded for once! Far too much emphasis on TV/film/sports celebrities these days...

So a man who learnt his trade within the English education system but then p****d off to the US to earn his millions, therefore not rewarding his home country byt paying taxes, deserves a reward from his home country?!

Frankly I think this is as bad as knighting celebrities. Ive is good at his job and has earnt nicely from it. As has Bruce Forsyth, Terry Wogan etc., but how have these people helped the UK to grow and prosper?

If Ive had set-up a design school in the UK or something then I could understand it, but this is just arse-kissing rubbish.

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
So a man who learnt his trade within the English education system but then p****d off to the US to earn his millions, therefore not rewarding his home country byt paying taxes, deserves a reward from his home country?!

Frankly I think this is as bad as knighting celebrities. Ive is good at his job and has earnt nicely from it. As has Bruce Forsyth, Terry Wogan etc., but how have these people helped the UK to grow and prosper?

If Ive had set-up a design school in the UK or something then I could understand it, but this is just arse-kissing rubbish.

Maybe he's been awarded it because of the impact he has had on the world, and not just the UK??

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK

I believe that people such as Jony Ive make far better role models for young people than the likes of Brucie and Terry. And as others have mentioned, he has been awarded for his services to design and enterprise - neither of which are measured by his UK tax contributions and nor should they be. He is a leader in his field and deserves to be recognised as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.