Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
The newer iMacs, the Mac Mini aren't just shiny but better. They run 100% quiet, you can't find equivalent PCs that do that. The only thing is I don't like how quickly Apple obsoletes products. My 2010 iMac & Mac Mini will not run Airplay Mirroring.

[MOD NOTE]
Posts pulled out of another thread, and I created this new thread

Last edited by a moderator:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
The newer iMacs, the Mac Mini aren't just shiny but better. They run 100% quiet, you can't find equivalent PCs that do that.

The newer iMacs? I own one, it gets loud as hell under load.

You want a quiet computer? Go with a liquid cooled PC, or a passively cooled computer ( no fans at all ).

Hell, the cheapo refurbed Dell Optiplex I got my grandma is so quiet you can hardly hear it unless you put your ear up to it.

My 2010 iMac & Mac Mini will not run Airplay Mirroring.

Time for a new mini! Ford over 700 dollars ;)

My 10 year old kitchen computer can scream 720P video just fine ;)

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
The newer iMacs? I own one, it gets loud as hell under load.

You want a quiet computer? Go with a liquid cooled PC, or a passively cooled computer ( no fans at all ).

Hell, the cheapo refurbed Dell Optiplex I got my grandma is so quiet you can hardly hear it unless you put your ear up to it.

Time for a new mini! Ford over 700 dollars ;)

My 10 year old kitchen computer can scream 720P video just fine ;)

Yes I know about the liquid cooled PCs, but you will spend much more compared to a Mac and the design will be horrific to look at.

art7-10.JPG

Yes it does irritate me that Apple wants $700 from me so I can get 1 cool new feature.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Yes I know about the liquid cooled PCs, but you will spend much more compared to a Mac and the design will be horrific to look at.

Yes it does irritate me that Apple wants $700 from me so I can get 1 cool new feature.

Try a ****** dell opiplex, quiet as hell.

And to me, design = 100% meaningless. I'm after power, and performance.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
The newer iMacs, the Mac Mini aren't just shiny but better. They run 100% quiet, you can't find equivalent PCs that do that. The only thing is I don't like how quickly Apple obsoletes products. My 2010 iMac & Mac Mini will not run Airplay Mirroring.

The Dell vostro line is quiet too. My dad has a few in his office. The fan spins up when you turn it on, much like a mac pro. Then it's silent. Seriously, they're designed to be on your desk and not make a peep.

This isn't 1998, computers don't sound like tornadoes anymore.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Try a ****** dell opiplex, quiet as hell.

And to me, design = 100% meaningless. I'm after power, and performance.

Well Apple has proven that great design = huge marketshare or profitshare. It's irrelevant what 2% of the users want, Apple gives 98% something to lust after for whatever reasons.

Besides that Dell Optiplex is fugly.

Aug 5, 2012
You're wrong if you think that the Apple product teams aren't 100% behind these legal efforts.

----------

Guess what - Apple doesn't do things for the money. They make kick-ass designs, revolutionary designs and the profit comes later. If you think that Johnny Ive is in it for the money, you don't get it. He's trying to change the world.

Wow... You appear to be uneducated and highly biased on this subject.

Do you work for Apple by any chance?

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Wow... You appear to be uneducated and highly biased on this subject.

Do you work for Apple by any chance?

I wish I did, but alas that will never happen. How am I uneducated to point out facts about Apple? Jobs and Ive are on record as being all about the design and not about money.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Well Apple has proven that great design = huge marketshare or profitshare. It's irrelevant what 2% of the users want, Apple gives 98% something to lust after for whatever reasons.

Besides that Dell Optiplex is fugly.

Well, considering Apple has....10% of the laptop/desktop marketshare?

That Dell Optiplex does its job very well for a low price, looks don't really matter.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Well, considering Apple has....10% of the laptop/desktop marketshare?

That Dell Optiplex does its job very well for a low price, looks don't really matter.

Actually if you look at the trends, Macs have been growing 25% year on year for 5-6 years now. PC sales have been FLAT the entire time, so Apple has attained 10% market share in USA for the first time since the 1980s. Apple has 70% of the tablet market and 25% of global smartphone market.

But more important they make 90% of PC profits of > $999 PCs. They make 70% of mobile industry profits and 90% of tablet profits.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Actually if you look at the trends, Macs have been growing 25% year on year for 5-6 years now. PC sales have been FLAT the entire time, so Apple has attained 10% market share in USA for the first time since the 1980s. Apple has 70% of the tablet market and 25% of global smartphone market.

But more important they make 90% of PC profits of > $999 PCs. They make 70% of mobile industry profits and 90% of tablet profits.

And unless your a share holder, that is meaningless. And yes, most people don't buy PCs above 1000 dollars because they dont NEED them.

Yes, PC sales are going UP ( so are Mac sales ) but its kind of hard for the PC to gain marketshare when it IS the market.

----------

This isn't 1998, computers don't sound like tornadoes anymore.

I miss my 486 DX4 Packard Bell Pizza Box :(

Boot up went something like

vrooooooooommmmmmm.....BEEP......* FLOPPY TEST GRIND VRMMMVERMMMVVMMMMM *....CLICKING.....CLICKING...BEEP!!! BEEP!....Windows 95 Loading SCreen, Hard drive goes bat **** insane...click click click click....BEEP!

This went on for a solid 3 minutes, and when it was running, it sounded like a combination of blender and vaccum cleaner.

Aug 5, 2012
I wish I did, but alas that will never happen. How am I uneducated to point out facts about Apple? Jobs and Ive are on record as being all about the design and not about money.

I can see where this is going... Enjoy your evening

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
And unless your a share holder, that is meaningless. And yes, most people don't buy PCs above 1000 dollars because they dont NEED them.

Yes, PC sales are going UP ( so are Mac sales ) but its kind of hard for the PC to gain marketshare when it IS the market.

I'm talking about trends, not current marketshare. Suddenly Macs are looking like a viable option for the American public. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Retina iMacs with SSD standard boot drive really are a huge hit with the public. I'm really disappointed in the PC market. Where is the great mini PC that will run Windows 8 that can replace my Mac Mini? Oh nobody cares enough about that market...

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I'm talking about trends, not current marketshare. Suddenly Macs are looking like a viable option for the American public. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Retina iMacs with SSD standard boot drive really are a huge hit with the public. I'm really disappointed in the PC market. Where is the great mini PC that will run Windows 8 that can replace my Mac Mini? Oh nobody cares enough about that market...

Trends? Trends is that the PC is still VERY popular at home and at work, and more people are adding tablets into the Mix and smart phones. And Macs have been a viable option for most people for a LONG time. They just prefer the cheaper prices of PCs. ( For me its performance. Apple does make any high performance hardware. Thats why my iMac is my toy computer )

There are tons of great small form factor PCs, many of them are a little bit larger than the mini....but who needs something as small as a Mini?

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Trends? Trends is that the PC is still VERY popular at home and at work, and more people are adding tablets into the Mix and smart phones. And Macs have been a viable option for most people for a LONG time. They just prefer the cheaper prices of PCs. ( For me its performance. Apple does make any high performance hardware. Thats why my iMac is my toy computer )

There are tons of great small form factor PCs, many of them are a little bit larger than the mini....but who needs something as small as a Mini?

It's not just the size of the Mac Mini, it's the fact that even with a regular hard drive it runs super quiet. It sips 10W on idle, no other mini PC can match that! Not only that, but it looks beautiful! It really enhances the living room and looks cool to guests.

Of course you pay the price for that. I just priced the 2011 Mini with 256GB SSD and I'm at $1,548.00. That's steep.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Just want to point out this thread had barely 3-4 replies until like an hour ago. Look how it exploded.

Guys, you've been had. Guess why this smoledman guy is on my ignore list. The posts don't even talk about the topic which is Apple opposing a motion to expedite the lifting of the injunction for the non-infringing Tab. Who cares about Mac minis and iMacs and etc.. ?

Well you have an apple troll come in and throw it off topic because they can not defend apple on this case.

Renzatic

Suspended
Just want to point out this thread had barely 3-4 replies until like an hour ago. Look how it exploded.

Guys, you've been had. Guess why this smoledman guy is on my ignore list. The posts don't even talk about the topic which is Apple opposing a motion to expedite the lifting of the injunction for the non-infringing Tab. Who cares about Mac minis and iMacs and etc.. ?

Derailed like hell. But hey, a conversation is a conversation, so we might as well roll with it.

----------

Not only that, but it looks beautiful! It really enhances the living room and looks cool to guests.

...it's a metal box with an apple logo on top.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
It's not just the size of the Mac Mini, it's the fact that even with a regular hard drive it runs super quiet. It sips 10W on idle, no other mini PC can match that! Not only that, but it looks beautiful! It really enhances the living room and looks cool to guests.

Of course you pay the price for that. I just priced the 2011 Mini with 256GB SSD and I'm at $1,548.00. That's steep.

Wow, thats overpriced as hell for what you just bought.

Tons of small PCs run super quiet, so yes they can match that.

10W? Who the hell cares about how much power a desktop uses? I don't.

It looks like a piggy bank, and to be honest. I don't show my computers off to random guests.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Wow, thats overpriced as hell for what you just bought.

Tons of small PCs run super quiet, so yes they can match that.

10W? Who the hell cares about how much power a desktop uses? I don't.

It looks like a piggy bank, and to be honest. I don't show my computers off to random guests.

No I bought the $599 Mac Mini in 2010. I simply priced the new one with 256GB SSD to see how much it would cost. I'm not that much of a kool-aid drinker.

How does this look like a piggy bank:

apple-macmini-q410-front-lg.jpg

----------

Well you have an apple troll come in and throw it off topic because they can not defend apple on this case.

No because the larger point is Apple is on the ascendancy. These injunctions and other court wins are just part of it. It all begins and ends with Apple's revolutionary designs.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
No I bought the $599 Mac Mini in 2010. I simply priced the new one with 256GB SSD to see how much it would cost. I'm not that much of a kool-aid drinker.

How does this look like a piggy bank:

Bland boring tiny box with a coin slot ;)

No because the larger point is Apple is on the ascendancy. These injunctions and other court wins are just part of it. It all begins and ends with Apple's revolutionary designs.

That is insane, Apple is king right now, but don't expect it to last.

WHat revolutionary designs has apple made again?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Guess what - Apple doesn't do things for the money. They make kick-ass designs, revolutionary designs and the profit comes later. If you think that Johnny Ive is in it for the money, you don't get it. He's trying to change the world.
There are drug addicts & social degenerates that would happily pay you, for whatever it is you seem to have ingested :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.