Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While an earlier report today claimed that Volkswagen and Apple were working on integrating Apple products into future Volkswagen models, reader Chris Bangle notes that Apple may have been working on control interfaces for at least one upcoming luxury car.

CarMagazine.co.uk has a feature about the upcoming Jaguar XF, and an interview with the designer, Ian Callum.

The interview concludes with Callum talking about the new Jaguar's gearshift mechanism ("JaguarDrive"), and claims that Apple has had some involvement with their design:
‘Step inside and the starter button starts to pulsate like a heartbeat. Press it and the car comes to life. The air vents rise up and the JaguarDrive Selector pops up. We took so much comment on the old J-gate change and felt it was time for a change. The dial takes up less space, too. We have been working with Apple on control interfaces.

xf_300.jpg

A description of the JaguarDrive Selector describes it as follows:

The JaguarDrive Selector replaces a conventional gearstick. Sitting flush with the centre console, it rises electrically when the ignition is turned on. It's a metallic rotary dial (not dissimilar to BMW's iDrive control) that twists to change gear on the standard six-speed automatic box, rotating easily between P, R, N and D. We've tested it and its action is pleasant and seamless. Importantly, it frees up oodles of extra space on the console.

Apple was also the focus of an earlier rumor that Apple was working on car navigation and sound systems in partnership with Mercedes for a 2009 launch.

Article Link

Aldyn

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
it was only a matter of time.

i had always thought to myself, how cool would it be if all the buttons in the car glowed when you touched them like the 3g ipod / power button on the cinema displays. i'm excited to see what's truly up.

stcroixsailor

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2006
sounds cool-my dad has a bmw with iDrive- it's clunky and not easy to use at all. Maybe this will be better.

totolad

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2006
Bmw

Lets hope that the system is going to be much better than the BMW I-Drive system which I have to use every day. The system is unresponsive and stupid in the way that you have to control nearly the entire car through it. Perhaps VW Audi, will have a better design?

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
Finally... Ive been posting this since Tuesday and have been mocked and ridiculed... Finally someone realised that Apple and Jaguar worked together.

I would love some recognition.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
cool!

I hope Audi, Mercedes and BMW are also working with Apple.
It's time to upgrade my old car.

I'm sure Jaguar isn't the only one. And if they are, surely other companies will be interested now that the news is out. Hopefully we will see more design improvements of this nature in the future, regardless of whether it's Apple's doing or not.

Oh, and posting a one-word reply, then going back and editing it in a sad attempt to get the first post in the thread? Pretty weak - and you failed in any case... :p :cool:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
cool!

I hope Audi, Mercedes and BMW are also working with Apple.
It's time to upgrade my old car.

Especially BMW. Their iDrive and iPod adapter needs SERIOUS UI work, especially the iPod adapter which offers no quick and easy way to go from A to Z.

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
From the article i assumed that Jaguar helped design the Sat Nav and the interfaces on the touchscreen screen on the dash... Someone will need to get in touch with Jaguar and ask them for more info..... Apple have certainly kept this quiet

Pictor

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
Hmmm

Chris Bangle? Wouldn't be the same Chris Bangle of the BMW `Bangle Butt' fame?

It's odd that Jaguar is working with Apple since Ford (Jaguars parent) has been working with MSFT.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
Apple is becoming the lotus of the tech world. They are the go to people for design.

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
it definitely seems as though computer has been extracted from apple.
so, if i want the latest :apple: products i have to switch phone services and buy a new car? whatever happened to simplicity?

AdMan2007

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2006
Lol!

Finally... Ive been posting this since Tuesday and have been mocked and ridiculed... Finally someone realised that Apple and Jaguar worked together.

I would love some recognition.

LOL. You were screaming (literally) for some attention. Maybe it was the double-posts or the CAPS THAT SCREAMED AT EVERYONE, but either way it was a good find.

But seriously. Next time, lose the CAPS!

Yateball

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
*Fingers Crossed* for this in the Pontiac G5!!

hahaha I know I'm dreaming, but dammit don't wake me up!

zoetropeuk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
Oxford UK
LOL. You were screaming (literally) for some attention. Maybe it was the double-posts or the CAPS THAT SCREAMED AT EVERYONE, but either way it was a good find.

But seriously. Next time, lose the CAPS!

WTF does using CAPS have to do with screaming at people, I've never understood it and never will. It makes no difference whether the text is capitalised or not, just GET OVER IT ALREADY.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
it definitely seems as though computer has been extracted from apple.
so, if i want the latest :apple: products i have to switch phone services and buy a new car? whatever happened to simplicity?

I assume you're joking, because that is some of the faultiest logic I've heard in a long time.

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
I've always felt that :apple: should have a design department that could be contracted by other companies to help them with design! :)

I want the world to look & function better (…an improved GUI if you will)! :D :p :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.