Apple Desktop Certification Exam next week. Tips?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by microstar22, Jun 22, 2007.

1. microstar22 macrumors newbie

I am preparing to take the Apple Desktop Hardware Exam (9L0-005) next wednesday, and I was wondering if anyone has any pointers for me. I am mostly a PC guy, but looking forward to being the mac support person for my company. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I don't have a suggestion, but I do have a question. How do you go about getting that certification? Who do you go through? And what kind of stuff do you need to know? Is there a study guide or website for it?

OK, so that was four questions...

3. microstar22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tech Training

Apple offers the Technician Training Kit here: Link
    Although it is $299..and basically just allows you to access their online content. My work purchased this for me, but I also bought the PeachPit book This book

I think the book just about covers almost exactly what is on apple's website..so save your $299 and buy the $50 book instead. As for where to take the exams..they are given by Prometric testing centers across the US (world?). To become an Apple Certified Technician you choose either a desktop exam or notebook exam, and then you must take an OSX exam as well. Each exam costs $150. If you want to be certified to work on both desktops and laptops..you will need to pass all 3 of the exams.

hope this helps!

4. atfirstsite macrumors newbie

start with what you need...

I'm an A student in anything I love... I never have to study :D

1. Get plenty of sleep if you can
    2. If they allow food, bring nutritious treats.
    3. Study the night before WITH A BUDDY!
    4. Make a game out of studying
    5. Drink coffee either in the testing area or right before the test.
    6. Eat two things: One high in sugar and one high in carbs/protein.
    7. Buy a vitamin shake - Nutrament / Ensure (for old farts, yeaah I know that).

You need to start the test with adequate nutrition, good sleep, a great attitude, caffeine, sugar.

All of these will boost your memory because your brain will NEED all the above-listed in order to function at the test and over-ride a stress-related memory blockage. When the stress hits the fan, your short-term memory will be impaired. It's a fact. The things I listed above can be CLINICALLY proven to boost your brain's performance.

Most of all, be confident.

~ AmyE

5. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    And more than anything else, give the right answers.

:eek:

6. gdesalvo@umail. macrumors member

Prometric doesnt allow snacks or ANY drinks including water :( i had to take a 5 hour GRE test in these conditions. at least i aced the math part =P but it s****d hard

7. microstar22 thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone else have any tips..perhaps on the course material?

8. redwin11 macrumors member

Hi Microstar,

i recently purchased the same PeachPit book but am unsure whether reading it is enough to go ahead with the exams - did you have any other form of training? i.e.- physically getting to grips with opening up a Mac?

I see that there are 3 day courses out there (in the UK) that give you access to this side of it, and was wondering if they are worth it or whether i should rely on theory only?

Finally, seeing how the book has only been out for a month or so, have you read up that quickly?

9. microstar22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I rescheduled my exam for 3 weeks from now. I have read the book and have a g5 and g4 server to work on (look at). I also have the apple online materials.

wish me luck!

10. Fimo macrumors newbie

Fimo

Any update? How did the exam go?

11. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Did you give the right answers like I had wisely advised? :p