Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GULCkid

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Apparently it's worth the $100 or so to sign up to be an apple developer, as you get a bigger discount than the student discount.

Does anyone know any specifics about this?

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
It's like a 20% (once per lifetime) hardware discount for "development purposes."

You do the math. :)

jmk

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2005
From what I have heard (I have not used the ADC but I've thought about it), you pay $99 for a student membership which entitles you to one discounted purchase. That's per lifetime. So if you have a non-Mac buddy, it might make sense to have him do the purchase for you or something so you can get another one some other time.

Once you have the membership, you can purchase from the ADC store. The link is here http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html where it says the "hardware purchase program store."

The prices essentially I think are 20% off. I think they are generally equivalent to if you just purchased the unit as a refurb also. You can only make one purchase so if you want a bunch of things, make sure to tack them on the same order because you aren't coming back.

Also, I believe it's a slightly drawn out process. They *will* verify you are a student so they'll contact you and have you fax them info, etc.

Edit: Fixed link

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
What's the catch?

Is there anything I would have to do in order to get the ADC membership? Do I actually have to develop anything? Because I don't know the least bit about developing. Also for the student membership, do I need to be a computer programming student or just any general student (I'm in biology).

This would save me a little over $100 on the purchase (dual 1.8) over the student discount, even after considering the fee for the membership

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
vtprinz said:
What's the catch?

Is there anything I would have to do in order to get the ADC membership? Do I actually have to develop anything? Because I don't know the least bit about developing. Also for the student membership, do I need to be a computer programming student or just any general student (I'm in biology).

This would save me a little over $100 on the purchase (dual 1.8) over the student discount, even after considering the fee for the membership

You have to be a student enrolled in programming courses of some sort. You are not required to develop anything on the Mac. They do make you verify this by sending in your current course listing.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
They did not make me send in any course listings, only proof that I was enrolled in a University. Was pretty easy actualy, quick fax and I was in. I hadn't taken any sort of computer courses and was not going into a computer field. That said, if you do that you owe it to Apple to at least make some effort to develope, even if it is a simple program for your own personal use.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
I enrolled in my friend's name because I was in summer before classes started, and you basically need to be IN classes when you sign up since they want a CURRENT schedule. My friend was not taking any computer classes at all. Now that I'm at school and programming, I'm glad I did it the way that I did, or I would have had to wait until classes start, fax my schedule, and wait for approval and a purchase. So he wasn't taking any computer classes if that helps you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.