Apple Developer Program

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by 14linn1, Sep 4, 2010.

1. 14linn1 macrumors newbie

I am using Xcode to make an iPhone app but I am not sure how the apple developer program works, do you have to pay to publish the app or what???

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. You have to pay for the cryptographic keys to install apps on your device and sell them on the app store.

3. ranguvar macrumors 6502

That's wrong.

4. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

What's wrong with it?

You will need Provisioning profiles to register and install the app on your device to test the app and to submit the app to apple's app store. For this you need to pay to join the dev program.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I suspect you are talking about jailbraking the device. Personally I would never do that so I ruled it out.

6. ranguvar macrumors 6502

No, you can deploy apps on your device without registering if you jailbreak.

Why would you never jailbreak? It's your device, why shouldn't you be able to install the programs you created on it?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why don't I exploit security holes in the device to install software from sources I don't trust and either can't inspect because, despite their claims of loving openness the developers don't share the source, or don't have the time or inclination to inspect? Because I simply don't want to take that risk with my phone. Those jailbrake programs could be installing absolutely anything at root level on your phone. I can install the programs I created on my phone: $99 is a small price to pay for security.

In addition I agreed to certain license terms to download the SDK (for free). I consider my word worth keeping (perhaps you don't consider this important) so I don't jailbrake.

Given the above why do you jailbrake?

8. firewood macrumors 604

Yes. You have to pay for the proper certificates to submit to the App store. You also need to pay to get the proper certificates if you plan on installing and testing your app on a stock OS device (well over 90% of your customer base).

Broken devices, I don't care about. The current analytics stats say that around half of those in possession of broken devices (if not a lot more) don't bother to even pay for their apps.