Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
There are already threads on this story.

And it's from Digitimes so it's false.

Mhill

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Essex, England
It would seem plausible that they would at the very least evaluate the possibility of such a move and as the article says the acquisition of ATI by AMD it could be a logical move in the long term!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Steve Jobs' next move will not be to AMD chips but instead to Sun chips. It's common knowledge. :cool:

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
There is no way this will happen unless Intel really drops the ball, which they haven't so far. I'm sure Apple has developed an AMD-based computer at some point, but they won't ever produce one unless absolutely necessary.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
There is no way this will happen unless Intel really drops the ball, which they haven't so far. I'm sure Apple has developed an AMD-based computer at some point, but they won't ever produce one unless absolutely necessary.

Agreed. As you mentioned elsewhere yourself, AMD would also not have the capacity to keep up with demand, whereas Intel can. Apple is better off siding with Intel rather than someone which might jeopardize their product delivery due to chip shortages or other unforseen issues. Just look at Motorola with the PPC.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Why? AMD's laptop CPU's suck....power that is. Please god no. The Core line has a VERY bright future. That coupled with the DEEP discounts that Apple is most certainly getting makes an AMD migration stupid.

What this move might be about is memory. AMD isn't just about CPU's. They make other chips as well. That and with the ATI buyout Apple may be courting AMD to continue to have access to ATI's wares. At any rate I just don't see this happening. Go to Apple's site. Intel's name is plastered all over the freaking place. Apple isn't going to rain on such a relationship 1 year after establishing it.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
perhaps this story may be false. but AMD has been courting apple as of late.

they have released an new ATI x1900 card for the G5 towers.

If AMD want to continue this good roll, they should release the x1900 replacement card that has a little more power for the Mac Pro's

And offer an upgrade card for the 24" imac. if ATI starts offering TONS of video card upgrades for apple. good chances that Apple will start paying more attention. and shift some attention to desktop chips.

AMD has an excellent Quad Core CPU coming which isn't based on 2 separate dual core chips slapped in one cpu form like Intel does.

so... AMD may have a CPU product worth using after all you doubters!!

However, AMD may have to do some courting of Apple and the Mac Using client base.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
perhaps this story may be false. but AMD has been courting apple as of late.

they have released an new ATI x1900 card for the G5 towers.

If AMD want to continue this good roll, they should release the x1900 replacement card that has a little more power for the Mac Pro's

And offer an upgrade card for the 24" imac. if ATI starts offering TONS of video card upgrades for apple. good chances that Apple will start paying more attention. and shift some attention to desktop chips.

AMD has an excellent Quad Core CPU coming which isn't based on 2 separate dual core chips slapped in one cpu form like Intel does.

However, AMD may have to do some courting of Apple and the Mac Using client base.

It may be excellent, it may not be a chopped design but unless they can offer equal or better performance compared to what Apple have now, while using less power and can supply, it doesn't matter.
Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quadro is better in every aspect, chopped design or not.

Face it, AMD cannot help Apple develop as well as Intel can. They do not have half as an enticing road map as Intel does nor the visions. AMD is also not on Apples board as Intel is.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL

AMD's wares are expected to be out sometime in the later half of 2007. BY that time Yorkfield will be out which is the successor to Kentsfield which is the chip you are speaking of. Until then Intel is the only game in town. Frankly I expect Intel to hold the crown of speed champ until fall of next year. Their desktop chips scale like a dream at 65nm. Suposedly air cooled the Core 2 Duos can be overclocked to 4Ghz and still maintain stability. Intel will be moving to 45nm next spring I believe and that will be the ballgame until fall when AMD will supposedly have an answer to the Core 2 Duo. So between now and then Intel is king. And frankly I think the days of major performance gaps between INtel and AMD are over. close performance to AMD coupled with deep discounts, power to watt performance, and the outright affair that Intel is having with Apple I don't seen anything changing anytime soon. Heck look at their next branding of the Centrino that will come out next year: Centrino Pro....Heck they may as well call in the Centrino MacBook Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.