Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With every operating system release, Apple aims to make apps more accessible and easier to navigate by providing a variety of new accessibility features and settings. iOS 18 (Codename Crystal) and macOS 15 (Codename Glow) will be no exception, and work on accessibility-related enhancements is well underway.

iOS-18-Roundup-Article.jpg

Through our industry sources, MacRumors has obtained information on some of the key accessibility improvements Apple has in store for its userbase. Apple is working on several new accessibility features along with improvements to existing settings, both of which should be available later this year.

Adaptive Voice Shortcuts

This feature will allow users to map a unique spoken phrase to an accessibility setting. Users will be given the option to create a custom phrase and select the accessibility setting they wish to toggle by speaking said phrase. By using Adaptive Voice Shortcuts, users will be able to toggle existing accessibility features such as VoiceOver, Voice Control, Zoom and so on.

New "Categories" Section for Live Speech

The Live Speech feature, which is already present in Apple's operating systems, will receive a new section for user-created categories. Users will be able to organize phrases into categories of their choosing. When creating a category, users will be given the option to name their category and choose from a selection of around 20 different icons. Once a category has been created, users will then be able to add their desired phrases.

More Apps Will Support Custom Font Sizes

Apple intends to expand app support for adjustable Text Size, which is an existing feature. Located within the "Display" section of the "Accessibility" settings pane, the option allows users to choose custom font sizes for individual apps and select their preferred font size for reading.

macOS Sonoma currently supports custom font sizes for the following five apps:

• Calendar
    Finder
    Mail

With macOS 15, this feature will expand support to five additional apps:

• Books
    News
    Stocks
    Tips
    Weather

Speaking to MacRumors, sources familiar with custom font sizes have said that Apple is internally testing an option to alter the font size of the menu bar within macOS, but it is unclear if the company will make this option available to end users. We were also told that Apple has additional accessibility features in the works, one of which utilizes on-device eye tracking, though further details were not available at the time of writing. More information should come to light as OS development continues in preparation for WWDC 2024.

It is important to note that while these features are in development, it does not necessarily mean we will see them later this year. Apple has been known to cancel various projects that do not meet their standards, for one reason or another. For additional information on what to expect with this year's new OS releases, check out our dedicated rumor roundup for iOS 18.

Article Link: Apple Developing New Accessibility Features for iOS 18 and macOS 15

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
From an accessibility standpoint it's a real shame they are going to kill off the only iPhone left with a home button

My older relatives (well into their 80's) would be totally lost without the one simple button to "save them" when they get lost on iOS (happens a lot).

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
The voice features really sound like good ol’ Speakable Items with some modern buzzwords. At least Speakable Items did what you asked, 15 years ahead of Siri.

Reactions: VulchR

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
From an accessibility standpoint it's a real shame they are going to kill off the only iPhone left with a home button

My older relatives (well into their 80's) would be totally lost without the one simple button to "save them" when they get lost on iOS (happens a lot).
if my mom adapted to her modern iPhone anyone can 😂

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
Really happy to see these and other accessibility features... one of the OS features that makes a huge difference to those people with disabilities... or just making the devices easier for older people to use. It will happen to all of us, eventually.

Reactions: SFjohn and tomwhom

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
I really hope the rumor of keeping support for all current iPhones is true. Although a XS Max is my daily driver, I can afford a new iPhone, but what about those who can’t?

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015

if they don’t mind speaking to Siri, Siri can always take them to the home screen.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
if they don’t mind speaking to Siri, Siri can always take them to the home screen.

Oh my -- using Siri is way beyond them
They literally get lost in the Phone app
My Aunt gets stuck in the Contacts area and thinks some contacts in there are actual messages

It's ... rough
We are just hanging on here

I used to be able to count on Apple to worry about this type of user, but that ship sailed ages ago.
If the only option were the newer phones with all the swiping, they'd be done

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Here’s a suggestion: create a slider to enable desaturation of all the obscene colors blaring out of an iPhone.
Please
Pretty Please

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Accessibility features are very practical, especially for people with no accessibility issues.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
I really hope the rumor of keeping support for all current iPhones is true. Although a XS Max is my daily driver, I can afford a new iPhone, but what about those who can’t?
At least they would issue security updates for a while, if it isn't supported on the latest iOS.... that in itself is still support.

But I just have a feeling none will be dropped this year... I think the memory plateau from iPhone XS to iPhone 13 will mean a longer life for iPhone XS.

Reactions: TigerNike23

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

The action button solves that

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
The action button solves that

Not really - they already massively struggle with the side buttons and are constantly turning the volume all the way down to "off" - lol

There's just something about that one single big button, always in view, that always does that one key thing
(take me home - I'm lost)

They are also now at the age where "new things" are a challenge and they have over a decade of Home button memory built up.

Reactions: psac and eifelbube

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
Oh my -- using Siri is way beyond them
They literally get lost in the Phone app
My Aunt gets stuck in the Contacts area and thinks some contacts in there are actual messages

It's ... rough
We are just hanging on here

I used to be able to count on Apple to worry about this type of user, but that ship sailed ages ago.
If the only option were the newer phones with all the swiping, they'd be done

100%. I don’t know how old your family members are, but my 86 year old grandmother doesn’t understand Siri at all.

Xil3

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
London
How about a global back gesture?

I get it, most apps have it, but the other issue is that you have to gesture back from the left side of the screen, so someone that uses the phone with their right hand has to reach over. On Android devices you can swipe from either side of the screen to go back.

Why Apple doesn't implement this is beyond me. It would bring a lot of Android users over to iOS, myself included.

Reactions: LV426

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
One of the things I’ve missed the most on macOS is the ability to change the font size at a system level just like it happens on iOS, especially after iOS 15.

And being able to change the size of the menu bar font, and all the menus inside it, would be really nice. Let’s hope it makes it to the final release. On my 1080p monitor, if I’m not close enough, I have difficulty reading the menus.

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Here’s a suggestion: create a slider to enable desaturation of all the obscene colors blaring out of an iPhone.
Please
Pretty Please
This already exists. Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Color Filters (set to on) > Toggle the switch, pick your filter, and adjust the intensity. I have my filter on grayscale, and have the intensity reduced to about 10%. Works great. :)

Reactions: Populus

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
100%. I don’t know how old your family members are, but my 86 year old grandmother doesn’t understand Siri at all.
This is very disheartening. I am in my 70s and I have been programming Siri to be a lot of help for me as I get older and find using my iPad difficult to do. I thought just being able to talk to it would help me. Oh well.
Sorry about these difficulties for your family.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
The absolute snotty-ness of some of the posts here directed at older folks here saddens me. I wish all of them long lives so they get there themselves one day and see what its like.
In my opinion the greatest improvement to accessibility would be to enable the ability to turn some of these "features" off. Split view being the most beguiling for those without less steady hands. Made even more frustrating is the ability to disarm it was present a few OS's ago. And how a company as draconian with things as apple could not insist on a universal "back" implementation and place to put it to developers is beyond me.

Last edited:

makeitrainnaren

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2020
Apple has additional accessibility features in the works, one of which utilizes on-device eye tracking,
If we can navigate phones with our eyes like AVP, this would be huge for those with limited or no motor abilities. I remember some very early Samsung S phones having eye tracking where you could scroll the display by moving your eyes up or down- was a neat feature.

Reactions: Radiuwel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.