Apple developing software 'fix' for iPhone, officialy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smiddlehurst, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Oops, sorry, forgot the source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/apple-iphone-4-reception-problems-a-software-issue-fix-coming/

And the official letter from Apple: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/07/02appleletter.html

Well... that suggest Anand was pretty much bang on with what's happening and Apple's signal strength reporting is way off because they've allocated way too big a range for 5 bars.

Not that that fixes the problem of course, the iPhone is still dropping a fair old chunk of signal when held 'wrongly' and it really shouldn't, or at least it shouldn't drop as much as it is, (will be interesting to see if Apple makes changes to new iPhone 4's) but at least people will see a more accurate representation of their signal now, giving a better idea of when they're really in a strong signal area. I suppose that's a plus...

2. samcraig macrumors P6

source?

3. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Hahahaha, sorry I can't stop laughing hysterically. So according to this, we should be happy because our carrier's network is even worse than we thought it was?? Awesome!

4. rfrankl macrumors 6502

5. Rinone macrumors newbie

Not really a fix.

6. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Yeah, a "mistake" that was obvious to every iPhone user with half a brain.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

There's a problem with the concept there. It mentions ATT.

This isn't just happening in the states.

8. mzt macrumors member

This isn't a fix, I got my anserw. Time to return my phone and wait it out :/

9. smiddlehurst thread starter macrumors 65816

No, but the problem with the signal strength scale being off WILL affect every carrier.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Makes sense to me. I can cause dropped signal when at home where 3G is mediocre but not at places with good 3G. Better reporting of strength in bars should help reflect this.

11. smiddlehurst thread starter macrumors 65816

Hence 'fix' in the thread topic :D

12. samcraig macrumors P6

13. krUnIzZlE macrumors regular

LoL, i call ********. no matter how tightly i grip my Nokia 5800 XpresMusic. NO bars drop :|

14. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

This makes no sense and doesn't explain why my calls drop and I cannot make calls while my older iPhones can if my signal has been weak this whole time....

15. bmms8 macrumors 68020

16. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

17. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Its probably a stop gap to head off the lawsuits, etc. They clearly said you can return the phone within 30 days for a full refund. Everyone is clearly in this return window so if the problem still impacts you, you are entitled to 100% of your money back.

Thats my take on the situation even though I think there is more to this problem than just a calculated ratio.

18. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

19. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

This was not the case originally. When the first iPhone came out lots of users were reporting low signal strength in areas where they used to have 4-5 bars with AT&T. Apple "fixed" this soon after the iPhone was launched in a software update by artificially inflating the reported signal strength (as evidenced by Anandtech's discovery of a ridiculously broad dbm range for 5 bars). It didn't fix anything except the complaints.

The fact is the iPhone has always had poorer reception than other phones (a trade off many of us don't mind to make, me included). All this does is shift the blame onto AT&T now. So people having the issue with the iPhone 4 will now go to AT&T and say "What happened? I only have 2 bars of 3G in my house now when I used to have 5. Why is my service worse now?"

21. samcraig macrumors P6

As I said - Apple has great marketing and PR spin.

I don't believe (sorry) that the computation was in error. I believe that since the first iPhone - they came up with a formula (and probably despite ATT's "suggestion") to make it appear that the iPhone had the very best reception than any other cell phone.

Now that they are under scrutiny for what could be a "bad" design, they are taking "blame." for a bad logarithm. In short - what they're doing is shifting the blame back to the carriers (not just ATT) by saying - oh wait - yes - we were wrong with our display - but it's really a carrier issue - not ours.

Nice one.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

How "stunned" could they really be? Mossberg pointed this out in his video review before the official iPhone launch. He also said a fix was coming.

I don't have the reception problem, or at least have yet to have encountered any unpleasantness in this area (proximity sensor, yes), but seems to me Apple is trying to pull a fast one here trying to merge Issue A into Issue B then saying it's one in the same. That is not my understanding of the reality from the various user posts.

Am I misunderstanding?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.