Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
According to AppleInsider, Apple is readying a two-button, wireless optical mouse for release.

Further fueling expectations are the recent price drops for the current one-button mice. ($29 for the wired mouse and $59 for the wireless mouse).

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Wow.

I don't get it, though. Power users won't be happy with anything less than 6 buttons, and Joe email n' AIM will be just fine with the single.
Updated Express, though... hmm... maybe the market will be right for me to pick up an old one.

edit: it's a pity this thread will die when story gets put on the front page.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
brap said:

Arn will likely link this thread to the main story...that is what he did with the last thread I posted that was up before the main story.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
brap said:
Wow.

I don't get it, though. Power users won't be happy with anything less than 6 buttons, and Joe email n' AIM will be just fine with the single.
Updated Express, though... hmm... maybe the market will be right for me to pick up an old one.

I think the whole idea would be to go after the ignorant masses who don't get the one-button thing (or think the one button mouse is inferior).

I personally love the one-button mouse; I think it is one of the things that makes a Mac a Mac.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don't get it. Why release a two-button mouse now, after all these years with a one-button mouse? What has changed that Apple thinks it's suddenly necessary to sell a two-button mouse? And will it have a scroll wheel? Personally--and I think this is probably true for most Mac users--I've gotten so used to having just one button that switching to a two-button mouse would just be uncomfortable and I would probably never use the second button.

Dandaman

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
soCal
mac-er said:
I think it is one of the things that makes a Mac a Mac.

I agree with you. It's almost a unique "feature" of a Mac. It would be kind of weird to have a Mac mouse with two buttons. But still, it may get more people to somehow switch.

Daniel

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
jamdr said:
I don't get it. Why release a two-button mouse now, after all these years with a one-button mouse? What has changed that Apple thinks it's suddenly necessary to sell a two-button mouse? And will it have a scroll wheel? Personally--and I think this is probably true for most Mac users--I've gotten so used to having just one button that switching to a two-button mouse would just be uncomfortable and I would probably never use the second button.
Eh, well here is what the article says:

So what has changed? According to sources, 'it's the company."

With Apple now profiting from low-priced consumer electronics as it makes a push to reclaim market share from Windows, a two-button mouse is 'almost an essential,' sources said.

I don't really follow this logic, though. Two-button mice have always worked with Macs, so I don't think that would stop people from switching. Also, isn't the whole point of the Mac mini to use your old PC mouse if that's what you want.

Candyfingered

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2005
mac-er said:
According to AppleInsider, Apple is readying a two-button, wireless optical mouse for release.

Further fueling expectations are the recent price drops for the current one-button mice. ($29 for the wired mouse and $59 for the wireless mouse).
Wow, it only took what? 22 YEARS!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think single button mice are great for the first two days of using OS X. They're also great for children under five years of age.

But I pray that this is correct, because it won't mean an automatic mouse purchase whenever I get a new desktop Mac, and it'll let me use an Apple mouse.

But anyone who thinks single button mice are even remotely as productive as multi-button scrolling mice (God, I hope the new one scrolls...) must use applications very different from the ones I use.

Candyfingered

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2005
jamdr said:
Eh, well here is what the article says:

So what has changed? According to sources, 'it's the company."

With Apple now profiting from low-priced consumer electronics as it makes a push to reclaim market share from Windows, a two-button mouse is 'almost an essential,' sources said.

I don't really follow this logic, though. Two-button mice have always worked with Macs, so I don't think that would stop people from switching. Also, isn't the whole point of the Mac mini to use your old PC mouse if that's what you want.
While your statement is true... you'd be shocked how many people Windows users and just ignorant people are still convinced that Macs won't work with two button mice. I got it everyday when I sold Mac, I got it from my family, I got it from my friends... people really don't know that Macs use two button mice fine.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
iGary said:
You can have my one-button mouse when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. :mad:
I'll tell you what - you can have all the one-button mice I've shoved in drawers over the years in favor of more practical multi-button mice. :D

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
jamdr said:

But there are a lot of people who do. I know that there are a lot of people out there who think that you can't right click on a mac. And, i have to tell them that you can. If apple were to ship a 2 button mouse... it would ease some of their pains about switching.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
iGary said:
Two-button mice are for Windoze peeps.

*ducks incoming fire*
Well, yes, "real" computers had three button mice decades ago. But... I'd consider a two-button scrolling mouse to be a good first step.

Ah, religious wars... gotta love them!

Best thing about this, if true, is that Mac users will get to use the Apple mouse of their choice - they won't be dropping the one button mice.

stoid

macrumors 601
This move almost seems un-Apple. I would expect them to come up with some sort of navigation device that would make current offerings look like toys rather than pulling a me-too sort of thing. However, I've never used a two-button mouse that was as easy as a single button mouse, so maybe if Apple's two-button mouse is better than what I've seen it might be worth checking out.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
jamdr said:

Well, one of the stupid anti-Mac remarks is "Macs only come with a one button mouse!!!!!"

I use a two button wheel mouse, and I think I would still miss the wheel. The only times I've played with a one button mouse were in the Apple store, and after I'd read here about using Ctrl button or holding it down, I found I was able to use it easily - and mostly didn't need a second button.

I'm kind of torn about the scroll wheel - I program using gvim (GUI version of vi), and the middle button aka scroll wheel is insert clipboard, but it's also scroll, and I've often accidentally inserted the contents of the clipboard in the middle of my program while scrolling.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
jamdr said:
What has changed that Apple thinks it's suddenly necessary to sell a two-button mouse?
Some of the professional level software Apple sells works better with a multibutton mouse. And they're selling more of it than ever.

And will it have a scroll wheel?
I hope so. Otherwise it will be another mouse that comes with the system that I don't use.

Candyfingered

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2005
jsw said:
Well, yes, "real" computers had three button mice decades ago. But... I'd consider a two-button scrolling mouse to be a good first step.

Ah, religious wars... gotta love them!

Best thing about this, if true, is that Mac users will get to use the Apple mouse of their choice - they won't be dropping the one button mice.
That's what I'm happy about. I've trashed more one button mice over the years...

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
If this is true I wonder how many of those die hard single button mouse users are going to eat humble pie when Apple starts adding killer features for it's new dual-button mouse?

I came from only using MS Windows and use a FIVE button mouse I find it a boon for scrolling with the wheel and the thumb buttons really make Exposé an addiction add right click for copy and paste and I couldn't imagine using a single button mouse again.

Plus the Apple Pro mouse I got with my first iBook was really badly put together anyway which didn't help a new user adjust.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
LOL @ this thread.

Our whole office is a one-button mouse office.

I suppose I have always resisted it as kind of an Apple "purist."

It's kind of like monitors - I won't use a third-party monitor with a Mac. :confused:

Guess I'm weird. No, edit, yeah, I'm kinda strange. :eek:

If it looks good maybe I'll buy one. ;)

In the mean time PM me and I will take all donated one-button mice. :D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
stoid said:
However, I've never used a two-button mouse that was as easy as a single button mouse, so maybe if Apple's two-button mouse is better than what I've seen it might be worth checking out.
Hmmm, I use a 5-button scroll-wheel trackball "mouse." I love it. Double-click, forward, backward, left-click, Ctrl-click all at my fingertips. Literally. It's fantastic, and a two-button mouse doesn't even cut it any more.

I envision a mouse that is much more design-centric than existing two-button mice that we see now. Maybe something along the lines of what they have now, only split in half?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
jsw said:
I think single button mice are great for the first two days of using OS X. They're also great for children under five years of age.

But I pray that this is correct, because it won't mean an automatic mouse purchase whenever I get a new desktop Mac, and it'll let me use an Apple mouse.

But anyone who thinks single button mice are even remotely as productive as multi-button scrolling mice (God, I hope the new one scrolls...) must use applications very different from the ones I use.

Lame comment. How dare I use a one button mouse and be a professional power user, right?? I hate how I have to feel like I need to defend the single button mouse every time someone makes one of these comments, but many power users are fluent in key commands and as such prefer one-button mice. Different strokes for different folks, but you can't say 'oh I'm faster cuz my mouse has more buttons'. There's more than your way to get the job done quickly.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
iGary said:
Two-button mice are for Windoze peeps.

*ducks incoming fire*
And Solaris, HPUX, AIX, Linux, BeOS and just about any other OS with a GUI. But you knew that ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.