Apple did a poor job announcing iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by musika, Sep 9, 2011.

1. musika, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

musika macrumors 65816

musika

I know I'll probably get a little hate for this, maybe not. But I'm looking for some discussion on this because I'd love to hear some opinions. I was there, watching the live blogs, video clips, chartrooms, rumours. January 27th, 2010 was a huge day for us Apple fanboys. When the iPad was announced, and I'd watched through the keynote a couple times, I was honestly disappointed. Looking back, a year and a half later, it's not the product that disappointed me, it turns out, but in fact the presentation. Jobs is known for his keynotes. I watch them with breakfast, lunch and dinner. He has had some incredible moments on that stage. And what I feel like is that Jobs really undersold the iPad, initially. It's main selling points were watching video, browsing the web, music, photos and so on. These are all great things, but they are features we had on our iPhone for 3 years. Some were even features we've had on our iPods for 5+ years. But most importantly, our Macs could do it already. This gave reporters, as well as the general public ideas that the iPad and more forward-looking, iOS, was not capable enough. It was a third category that Apple made. Of course, it takes time for such a big change to settle in, find it's place and all, but I feel like Apple shouldn't have introduced it the way they did because it gave folks the impression that this was a toy. A nice toy you can read in the morning, browse during the day, and watch at night.

It wasn't until, later that day during the keynote, that they introduced iWork. This changed the keynote for me, because they were showing off the power of iOS. They were showing that it's not a toy, yet for some reason they did not emphasise this enough, in my opinion. News reporting on the iPad called it "A consumption device". Sure, just as much as a computer, but there is more to it that Apple should have expressed during this keynote.

We all saw the iPhone keynote in 2007, arguably the best Apple keynote ever. I still smile when I watch this. "This is one device. And we are calling it, iPhone. And here it is!". The crowd roars. This was a theatrical performance, work of art to geeks. There wasn't enough of this at the iPad keynote. More time should've been spent focusing on iOS.

Fast forward to March 2nd, 2011. BOOM! The iPad 2 keynote addressed this. It was like take two, in everyway. iLife makes it's way to iPad (GarageBand and iMovie), iWork updates, and more and more and more. And what emphasises what iPad is, the most, is the "iPad: Year One" video they played. I only wish they could have explained this at the original keynote, yet not even Apple knew it was going to have this big an affect. It's bringing technology to those who have never been able to access it, manipulating their content and creating easily in a new way, that makes sense to the average person.

June 6th, 2011. WWDC 2011. I think next to Macworld 2007, this was the best keynote. It brought new life to iOS by, this time, instead of underselling it as an understudy to the Mac, treating it with respect. It can stand on it's own now, no more training wheels. And I think that's a big step for iPad.

Sent from my iPad.

2. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I think you have a point but looking back, my guess is that even Apple wasn't all that sure of its usage and how the consumers will perceive the new product. So it seemed as if they were carefully treading the water to show how this could be the "relaxing" device and, of course, an iWork-capable machine that also comes with the dock. They seemed so much more sure of it in the 2nd key note.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

So they should have oversold and underdelivered because it would get better later? Are you a Xoom or Playbook marketer by any chance?

4. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

No, I'm trying to say that, even though they made the right decision, the keynote left me wanting a lot more. I'm glad they didn't BS people, but at the time, I didn't buy it. I knew it'd be a hit, and I'm typing on my iPad 2 right now, but they were obviously a little unprepared and unsure of the devices capabilities at that point.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Sorry, but this is all a little puzzling. Not really sure what your point is. They were pioneering a new category and for some of us (I preordered - 2) it was appealing enough from the keynote. Don't really understand your criticism of how they should have somehow done more. Seemed to sell at a brisk pace and I'm sure they exceeded their sales projections. They aren't going to "wow!" every buyer every time - but they really don't have to.

6. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

You're missing my point. I'm saying that what they focused on as iPads killer features a year and a half ago are not what they focus on as the killer features now. I feel like I wanted them to focus more on the aspects of the iPad that they show off today. In my opinion, compared to other keynotes Jobs has made, the iPad keynote was a little boring. What we got out of it, however was an incredible, gave changing product.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

You waited 20 months to say the iPad Keynote bored you?

8. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

OP must be really bored. Just enjoy your Apple stuff already!

9. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

I never thought it was important enough to share that opinion, but today I was thinking about it a bit more, reflecting upon the iPad in it's current state (wonderful). I don't really see where the problem with me expressing my opinion now is. I love my iPad and I was never a "non-believer", I just thought that the keynote could've touched on some more important questions that have now been answered. No offence, but am I hurting you by bringing this up so late?

----------

I do enjoy my stuff, and I specifically said there was never anything wrong with the iPad. Just that Jobs could've explained his vision for the product better than he did.

He explained iPad perfectly at the D8 conference last year. Especially with the truck/car analogy. That to me, was more interesting than the keynote itself.

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

The market for Tablets is an entirely different entity today than it was those some odd months ago. Steve may not have pioneered any one specific feature in demonstrating the at the time brand new iPad, but he certainly made the features available look awesome and, like you said, left many with wanting more, which given the year and various software upgrades, is still coming.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

"I just thought that the keynote could've touched on some more important questions that have now been answered. No offence, but am I hurting you by bringing this up so late?"

Where did I convey any offense at any of this? It's pure puzzlement. I generally find posts here to convey some issues or thoughts on the status quo, so I was looking for an angle beyond "in retrospect, the January 2010 Keynote was boring." You're free to express your opinion on anything you want without fear of offending me or anyone else. It's just a weird non-sequitur; kind of like saying "in retrospect the original iMac should have been fuschia instead of blue."

12. guywoodman7 macrumors member

How would they possibly be able to focus on aspects of the iPad like they do today, a year and a half ago? When the iPad was first announced there weren't many apps, there wasn't face time, etc...

The iPad is a very underwhelming device when you take away the entire app store library (like when it was first announced). The plethora of apps is, and always will be, the iPads greatest strength. If I recall correctly, it was that keynote where they said they expect a "gold rush" for the developers to get their apps in the app store optimized for iPad. So apple couldn't tout the features that were not there yet.

Like other people in this thread said, it seems they were just playing it safe...cause even Apple doesn't have a 100% track record for wildly successful new products.

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I didn't think it was undersold at the time. It would be undersold if it had the library of apps it has today with that keynote.

14. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Funny, with all the blockbuster iPad sales and flat-footed competition trying desperately to ape Apple, I couldn't tell.

15. mfr1340 macrumors regular

who the heck are you?

I guess they should have checked with you and have you approve their keynote speech before they went through with it.

16. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I love this keynote. It was Jobs on absolute peak form. I have every one since then, and I watch that initial iPhone announcement, every now and then: "This is a day, that I've been waiting for, for two and a half years..." :apple:

17. Carouser macrumors 65816

You were disappointed by the keynote. So? Apple doesn't sell keynotes, and I'm not convinced the iPad presentation would have increased sales if it had been different in the way you want.

The only people who thought this, and thought it mattered, were (1) those who expected an OS X touchscreen tablet, (2) those who whine about anything Apple, (3) a small minority. Nobody else cared if some neckbeard called it a toy or not, they just went bonkers for it.

Citation? Got some examples of news reporting which called the iPad 'a consumption device' because of the keynote?

18. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I haven't watched that keynote in a long time, but I remember wanting to buy an iPad the second the keynote ended. It was immediately apparent to me how it would fit into my life. I know not every one felt that way, but for me it was a brilliant keynote.

19. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Well, the first ipad still had fairly obscene sales figures for something that was "undersold". Plus, hindsight is 20/20, I am sure they did the best they could at the time. :)

I agree that Apple themselves probably weren't sure of its main uses aside from surfing the net. :p

20. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I knew the iPad would succeed before the keynote. Heck, I'd even suggested it a year before they came out. A giant iPod Touch basically, capable of pixel-doubling the apps to use on the larger screen, and an update to the developer's kit to allow making apps to fit a tablet. All my friends readily bought the Touch after I showed them mine. Nothing wrong with having the same capabilities on a larger screen, especially for the aging population now needing reading glasses or bifocals.

21. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I don't agree.

For one thing, Apple did claim it was a magical and revolutionary device. They were only one-out-of-two on that, so they oversold it a little there... Though maybe I just don't know the secret words (I know "opensesame" doesn't do it).

Two, it doesn't make any sense for Apple to try to describe what owning an iPad would be like 18 months after the keynote. The keynote presented a lesser device back then because the iPad was a lesser device back then. Even if you forget about the new capabilities that iPad 2 made possible, consider that the original iPad launched without IOS4 and with few optimized apps. They couldn't sell you on what all those great apps would let you do with the iPad because they didn't exist.

Dude, you're a late-summer-2011 chauvinist and aren't really considering the reality of what life was like way back in spring-2010 ;)

22. anush3 macrumors member

Well, when it launched, they wanted to introduce it ..so that everybody knows its general capabilities....In ipad 2, once everyone had enough play, they showcased its advance capabilities i.e. imovie, garageband etc....remember when they introduced Apple hadn't created garageband, imovie to show off.
    I think their approach was fair ..step wise step...showcasing all stuff in begining then what was left for ipad2 keynotes?? better processor..thinner !!

23. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Hmm. I think the sales numbers and profit margin prove you wrong.

24. jules.vincent macrumors newbie

What about the D5?

I just watched the D5 with Steve and Bill by chance, and I think Steve was selling the IPad right then in May 07. Put the word "IPad" everytime in, when he says "Post-PC Device" and "the thing I am not allowed to talk about" and there you have your wonderful IPad announcement, almost 3 years before it hit the shelves. I think they knew the potential of it, but wanted the people to find that out themselves. And because it hit off the way it did, they must have done something right.

25. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The iPad keynote, indirectly, is what made me into an Apple fan. I was a big Apple hater before this product was announced. I had no intentions of ever owning any of their stuff. But when I saw the original iPad, I wanted one badly. The lack of cameras was a no go for me, but I ended up buying my iPhone 4 that same year, thinking that would hold off my iPad lust until there was one with cameras. I'm now an iPad owner (typing on it right now).

I don't agree with everything Apple does. Their retail employees and I don't always see eye to eye. Some of their policies are a bit off-putting. But when it comes down to it, I really enjoy using my Apple gadgets.

That being said, I think their iPad keynote was a success and I'm not sure why we are splitting hairs about it now.