Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has bought the "AirTag" trademark for its rumored item tracking device from a Russian group of companies that specializes in RFID technology, according to a Russian media outlet.

isbc-airtag-trademark.jpg

RBC reports that a group called ISBC, which describes itself as "The leading smart card and RFID tag manufacturer in Russia," recently sold Apple the "AirTag" trademark as part of an agreement that would see the group develop its products under a single brand, according to a source familiar with the details of the transaction.

In a statement posted on the ISBC website today, the group confirmed that it had completed a transaction to transfer the rights to the "AirTag" trademark, but said that details about buyer would not be disclosed under the terms of confidentiality.
ISBC® group of companies have decided to bet on enhancing development of its own products under a single namesake trademark ISBC®. This rebranding decision is very much conditioned by international deal on assignment of the trademark AIRTAG®.

[...]

Transfer of RFID keyfobs from AIRTAG® brand to our flagship one - ISBC® - evidences our confidence in future of the product and solutions related. Confidentiality agreed does not allow us to disclose the deal in detail. But we may express our confidence the the future of AIRTAG® trademark we have envisaged and registered internationally will be bright, the whole world will learn and love the new product so named.
On Monday, the public release of iOS 13.2 revealed information suggesting Apple may be planning to call its rumored Tile-like item tracking accessory "AirTags."

Looking into the status of trademark activity surrounding the term, MacRumors came across some curious recent developments that could be signs of Apple acquiring the trademark rights, although a smoking gun concretely linking Apple to the activity was unavailable at the time.

Apple is rumored to be working on Tile-like Bluetooth trackers that can be used to keep track of items that are often lost, such as keys, wallets, and more.

airtagsetup2.jpg

Multiple rumors have confirmed Apple's work on ?AirTags?, which are expected, based on leaked assets, to be little round circles that can be attached to your items to make them locatable through the Find My app right alongside your Apple devices.

?AirTags? will connect to iPhones, iPads, Macs, and more via Bluetooth, and will leverage the ultra-wideband U1 chip in the newest iPhones for more precise indoor tracking that's unmatched by competitors.

As we found earlier this year, there will also be an augmented reality component that will let you use your device's camera to pinpoint exactly where a lost item might be. Longer-range tracking will also be available, and ?AirTags? will likely take advantage of the offline crowd-sourced tracking feature that was added in ?iOS 13?.

There is no word on when ?AirTags? will be released, but given that Apple has been adding new details to each beta, there's a possibility that the accessories are coming this year, perhaps even quite soon.

(Thanks, Sergey!)

Article Link: Apple Did Buy Rights to 'AirTag' Trademark, Source Confirms

Last edited:

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
I definitely hope they release these this year, but you would think they would have previewed them at the event back in September though (it's a bit of a big new capability) if they were going to do that.

Makes one wonder if March with the iPhone 8 refresh is the date we'll get.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I definitely hope they release these this year, but you would think they would have previewed them at the event back in September though (it's a bit of a big new capability) if they were going to do that.

Makes one wonder if March with the iPhone 8 refresh is the date we'll get.

Probability of Apple previewing another product called "Air..." before ready to ship was zero.

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
I wanna use thiz 2 c where my female go during the day i gonna stick it 2 her car and dunno her shoes too thiz it’s pretty awesome apple and i can also track my perro and one cat we have dog name is bones and the cat doesn’t have name yet

Reactions: Marekul

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
I wanna use thiz 2 c where my female go during the day i gonna stick it 2 her car and dunno her shoes too thiz it’s pretty awesome apple and i can also track my perro and one cat we have dog name is bones and the cat doesn’t have name yet

You can buss her ass if she play away bro

• Haha
Reactions: saudade and chrixxa

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
You own a female human, a cat and a dog?

• Haha
Reactions: Marekul and chrixxa

xalea

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
Do people really use these things? I mean, I guess I can understand a need in some instances, but I've never lost any of the things mentioned in these types of ads for tags. I don't know anyone who has ever lost them either. I just don't see how this is some huge industry. Are people no longer capable of knowing where their wallet and keys are?

Reactions: pika2000 and rmoliv

jtrenthacker

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
If this relies strictly on bluetooth for relatively close range, what's the point? Sounds DOA to me.

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Sorry I’m waiting for AIRTAG Pro MAX so it contacts Tim Cook and lets him know how much cash you have in your wallet!

that with Apple Watch Pro Max+ basically the size of a wall clock and scans the room your in for Apple products not purchased!

emulator

macrumors 6502a
I'm kind of glad they make this available in the ghetto. Less random shooting as they can properly track their target.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016
HE SAID,
"I WANNA USE THIZ 2 C WHERE MY FEMALE GO DURING THE DAY I GONNA STICK IT 2 HER CAR AND DUNNO HER SHOES TOO THIZ IT’S PRETTY AWESOME APPLE AND I CAN ALSO TRACK MY PERRO AND ONE CAT WE HAVE DOG NAME IS BONES AND THE CAT DOESN’T HAVE NAME YET"
I'm just surprised that comment included "my female". The cat and dog probably don't have a choice in staying with him.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I think they should be called ‘AirBiscuits’.

Want to know where your stuff is? With the new Apple AirBiscuit, you can easily tell where it is! Launch an AirBiscuit and follow it around a room, down the street, even across town!

Apple AirBiscuits: available in several fun varieties to suit your mood. Going to a restaurant for a meal and worried you might lose your keys? Don’t worry, after you’ve finished eating and you’re not paying attention, launch an Airbiscuit and sit back without a care, safe in the knowledge that you can find what you’re looking for easily and quickly. It’ll be like someone cleared the room for you somehow!

Imagine the concerned faces of the guests at a wedding when someone lost the box with the rings in...! Not to fear - launch one of Apple’s powerful AirBiscuits and all the faces in the room will have a very different expression in no time at all!

Losing objects shouldn’t be a problem in the 21st century. That’s a problem that needs to be dealt with - quickly, quietly and powerfully. With an AirBiscuit’s ‘Silent and Deadly’ mode, you can breathe a little easier... for a little while at least.

Apple AirBiscuits. Because technology is a mighty wind of change.

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Do people really use these things? I mean, I guess I can understand a need in some instances, but I've never lost any of the things mentioned in these types of ads for tags. I don't know anyone who has ever lost them either. I just don't see how this is some huge industry. Are people no longer capable of knowing where their wallet and keys are?
You don’t know anyone who’s lost their keys or wallets? Are you on the same planet as the rest of us bruh?

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
You don’t know anyone who’s lost their keys or wallets? Are you on the same planet as the rest of us bruh?

It's not really that but this seems to be a money grab rather than skating to wear the puck will be.

Apple was positioning your phone to be your wallet and I'd guess the long-term vision at one point was for the Watch to take over. And further, to gain capabilities like open your car for, your garage and house doors, store all your tickets and passes (that seems to have stalled big time, particularly in the UK). In that case, there would seem to be little value in beacon tag for your high value items.

Just a bit weird to the Jobsians among us.

Reactions: Marekul
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.