Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thei3ug

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2018
It's not really that but this seems to be a money grab rather than skating to wear the puck will be.

I don't think this is a money grab, or even the product, but rather the pitch. I think UWB and apple device networks as the direction.

Issue: Apple needs easy to understand use cases for UWB adoption, that focuses on the customer experience, and leverages Apple's device and software to enhance that experience.

Solution: Relatively low cost (to apple) discs with UWB/BT. The potential to be ubiquitous, and "invisible," in the sense that the user does not interact with them to work. BT covers existing devices. UWB uses with new.

Effect: Demonstrates value of UWB to consumer. Demonstrates efficacy of UWB to third party manufacturers. Apple can selectively open up API to control competition and adoption in typical Apple fashion. Enhances customer satisfaction with core "apple as a consumer service" while differentiating its hardware from an otherwise indistinguishable field of features. The "better than tile" is the consumer facing component of a broader strategic product offering.

I think the primary purpose is getting UWB adopted. Just as the abominable Animoji's were a way to push adoption of the 3D IR sensor.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I wonder what the range will be on these things? If it's Bluetooth I don't really see a use for them in my case since the only thing I ever mis-place is my phone and I have" Find My" of course. I can see it more useful if it were far range for items that might get stolen like purses, backpacks, wallets, etc.

Macs4u

Suspended
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Let’s hope it works better than people. Despite going into a store to see a “genius” and spending countless hours on the internet, I can’t see my son yet he can see me. I can see everybody else. The only option I was given by the genius was to setup a new account. Yeah cause that’s going be amazing when I’ve spent a fortune on apps and stuff, that Apple refuse to carry over to the new account.

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
I don't think this is a money grab, or even the product, but rather the pitch. I think UWB and apple device networks as the direction.

Issue: Apple needs easy to understand use cases for UWB adoption, that focuses on the customer experience, and leverages Apple's device and software to enhance that experience.

Solution: Relatively low cost (to apple) discs with UWB/BT. The potential to be ubiquitous, and "invisible," in the sense that the user does not interact with them to work. BT covers existing devices. UWB uses with new.

Effect: Demonstrates value of UWB to consumer. Demonstrates efficacy of UWB to third party manufacturers. Apple can selectively open up API to control competition and adoption in typical Apple fashion. Enhances customer satisfaction with core "apple as a consumer service" while differentiating its hardware from an otherwise indistinguishable field of features. The "better than tile" is the consumer facing component of a broader strategic product offering.

I think the primary purpose is getting UWB adopted. Just as the abominable Animoji's were a way to push adoption of the 3D IR sensor.

This is interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wonder how small these will be. I would want to put it on my iPhone, Watch, wallet and keys.

That’s a good question, I also wonder if this is exactly what they will look designed like a ‘Mentos’ candy. I would think a ‘square design’ would have better contact points (All four corners) for whatever you’re attaching the tag to versus this circular design which I don’t believe would be as secure as a square design would be. Most of what we have seen, has been nothing but renders. Curious to see where this leads.

Reactions: newyorksole

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
It's not really that but this seems to be a money grab rather than skating to wear the puck will be.

Apple was positioning your phone to be your wallet and I'd guess the long-term vision at one point was for the Watch to take over. And further, to gain capabilities like open your car for, your garage and house doors, store all your tickets and passes (that seems to have stalled big time, particularly in the UK). In that case, there would seem to be little value in beacon tag for your high value items.

Just a bit weird to the Jobsians among us.
A money grab? It solves a problem a lot of people have. Tile probably does 100 million in business. Clearly there is a lot of consumers needing these types of solutions. I can’t tell you how much stress my tiles have lifted from me when I misplace my keys and wallet. It’s been a life saver for me

Reactions: Ankaa

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I know a person who has a horrible habit of putting things on top of his car on the roof and then forgetting about them and driving off! Once it was wallet. He got his identity stolen after that. This would be a good thing to have for him. lol

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
If this relies strictly on bluetooth for relatively close range, what's the point? Sounds DOA to me.
Not really. When one loses something, usually they want to recall the last place(s) they remember having the item and then retrace their steps at those places. This will certainly eliminate the latter, so you don’t have to waste time trying to figure out exactly where in the house (or wherever) you lost something, and likely even the former step, depending on just how they implement it.

Wild conjecture here, but I assume that it’s a mixture of using the new Find My mesh network for devices running iOS 13 and macOS Catalina where applicable and, where that’s not possible, remembering the last location where the phone communicated with the tag (much like the current behavior of AirPods in Find My). So it should be able to tell you both where you left an item on the large scale and small scale — for example, showing you that you left your wallet at home when you’re at work, then when you get home showing you where your wallet is in the house.

It’s also rumored that there’ll be some quasi-geofencing function where you can optionally enable notifications if the phone and tag exit each other’s range to keep you from leaving your wallet (or whatever) at home in the first place.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Do people really use these things? I mean, I guess I can understand a need in some instances, but I've never lost any of the things mentioned in these types of ads for tags.

While people do permanently lose stuff, the benefit here is fine positioning via UWB opens it up beyond "left it at the store" lost to "somewhere in the house" lost. Like whether you left your wallet in the bedroom or you took it out in front of the computer, or your keys got tossed under a pile of mail lost.

The idea to save you several minutes of walking around the house looking for stuff when you're late and your kids are impatiently screaming.

Also, kids are far better at losing stuff than adults. Why there's a kid's backpack in the screenshot.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I wanna use thiz 2 c where my female go during the day i gonna stick it 2 her car and dunno her shoes too thiz it’s pretty awesome apple and i can also track my perro and one cat we have dog name is bones and the cat doesn’t have name yet

I'm rooting for "your female"...

Reactions: gymratjudy

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I wanna use thiz 2 c where my female go during the day i gonna stick it 2 her car and dunno her shoes too thiz it’s pretty awesome apple and i can also track my perro and one cat we have dog name is bones and the cat doesn’t have name yet
Erm... you do you, bud.

Jason111001

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2016
Denver, CO
That comment makes absolutely no sense unless you were trying to show your sense of humor-um, might need to try again.
It does.. and it was the funniest thing I’ve read all day! Attach an AirTag to your scenes of humor.. so that you can find it. Classic. :cool:
[automerge]1572546766[/automerge]

Apple was positioning your phone to be your wallet and I'd guess the long-term vision at one point was for the Watch to take over. And further, to gain capabilities like open your car for, your garage and house doors, store all your tickets and passes (that seems to have stalled big time, particularly in the UK). In that case, there would seem to be little value in beacon tag for your high value items.

Just a bit weird to the Jobsians among us.
There are so many applications for this. Especially if you have kids. I travel weekly and use Tile (hope  does this better than them). I have one on my checked luggage, my backpack, my dogs collar. I’ve really only used it once when someone grabbed my bag by mistake. Caught them waiting for an Uber..

Last edited:

RangerDoug

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
This product will really help me in my day-too-day. I lose things my wallet all the time. I hope the release it soon.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I wonder what the range will be on these things? If it's Bluetooth I don't really see a use for them in my case since the only thing I ever mis-place is my phone and I have" Find My" of course. I can see it more useful if it were far range for items that might get stolen like purses, backpacks, wallets, etc.

Range should not be a problem, when somebody with an iPhone is in range it will pick up the location and send it to you. So the range is worldwide, the battery should be 2 years minimal or with a battery pack option to be useful.

I would be buying these like candy for my bike, car, laptop, DSLR, handbag, keys ... daughter.

I think the 'daughter' part sure will be the problem for Apple's PR as it could be used to track people, but that would also be possible with her iPhone or other trackers already on the market.

Reactions: DotCom2

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
Well, I hope it isn't like every other half-backed release Apple has tossed out the door, lately. The first iteration will probably have a bug here *everyone else* can see where your lost item is, but you can't. Whoops! Oh wait, we'll have a fix out in a week, no worries, sorry for the inconvenience!

For those few that have seen my post over the last couple years, you know how frustrated with Apple I must be getting, since I've been an ardent Apple fan for close to 20 years.

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
A money grab? It solves a problem a lot of people have. Tile probably does 100 million in business. Clearly there is a lot of consumers needing these types of solutions. I can’t tell you how much stress my tiles have lifted from me when I misplace my keys and wallet. It’s been a life saver for me
Estimate revenue is 12 million USD/y and 24 employees. It's a niche market.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Do people really use these things? I mean, I guess I can understand a need in some instances, but I've never lost any of the things mentioned in these types of ads for tags. I don't know anyone who has ever lost them either. I just don't see how this is some huge industry. Are people no longer capable of knowing where their wallet and keys are?
Plus, these things will stop working by a short period of time when they ran out of batteries. Meaning they are very disposable. People claim Apple is greedy yet they wanted these? Hilarious.

imagladry

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
Do people really use these things? I mean, I guess I can understand a need in some instances, but I've never lost any of the things mentioned in these types of ads for tags. I don't know anyone who has ever lost them either. I just don't see how this is some huge industry. Are people no longer capable of knowing where their wallet and keys are?

Yep. I use Chipolo married to my iPad. All I had to do is walk away from a $300 iPad before I decided $25 was cheep insurance. Now when I wander too far from my iPad, the fob on my keys sound off, reminding I'm about to walk away without my iPad. Invaluable.

I don’t know if AirTags will have that functionality, but it would silly if they didn't.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008

For sure they do use similar less functional tracker devices right now.

If you can't yet think of a use for it - such as putting one on your bicycle in case it goes missing, or in your coat or backpack or other things - maybe after it is released, you might buy some just to set up a scavenger hunt for kids, or make up some use that nobody has even thought about yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.