Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
New life for AppleScript? When I updated Pages and Numbers to 11.0, the message in the Mac App Store said that there were a new AppleScript functionality concerning passwords. Very interesting to see such an announcement!

And then, look at the scripting dictionary! Did I miss something or is it the first time Apple has put an "example script" into the dictionary?

This is a very good idea and well appreciated :) Makes me think that Apple wants to keep AppleScript alive ?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-08 um 18.38.44.jpg

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
It means that the iWork team decided to add a new capability to Pages and Numbers' AppleScript support. Specifically, it allows you to add/remove password protection to a document via AppleScript. I think this is a great sign of the iWork team's commitment to AppleScript support, but I'm not sure I'd read too much into it in terms of Apple as a whole's plans or attitudes. Individual teams at Apple operate decently independently.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
AppleScript does not work in the cloud. The script is limited to your Mac. As Pages and especially Numbers is cloud based now it makes no sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.