Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Hey guys,
Something really strange has happend with my new Macbook that I purchased at apple.com. When I originally ordered it, Apple put a pre-authorization on my debit card for the amount of the computer (which is normal). Now with every other purchase I've ever made, it will show up as a pre-authorization, then it will post into a charge - that never happend with me. They pre-authorized my card, a week passed, then the pre-authorization disappeared - nothing ever actually got charged to my card. What's up? Are they ever going to charge me? Like I've said before, I've never seen a pre-authorization not turn into a charge before.

Any ideas?

Brian

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Did you get the MacBook? If so, I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually, and a call to your bank may not be a bad idea.

If you haven't received the MacBook, then I'd make sure something didn't happen to the order.

notnek

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
The charge will post the night before or morning of the day your macbook arrives. When I ordered my iMac, they did the pre-authorization which disappeared, but then posted on the night before I got it.

So no worries, Apple is still taking your money. :rolleyes:

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
I work for a bank, and after a week (5 working days) pre-authorization are removed automatically, to release funds that are unlikely to be taken. Doesnt stop apple making a new authority to remove the funds though. The same thing happened when I ordered an iPod. They didnt debit my account until 2 days after my iPod arrived, I thought I got away with it...

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
seems wierd they'd do it that way. I mean I could cancel my card and it'd be much harder for them to get their money...(not that I'm thinking of doing that)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Apple pre-authorized your card to make sure there is enough 'credit' available. They will not actually charge your card until it ships. This has always been their practice.

TEG

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Apple pre-authorized your card to make sure there is enough 'credit' available. They will not actually charge your card until it ships. This has always been their practice.

TEG

What if I had enough credit available back when they originally pre-authorized my credit card...and now I don't?

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
What if I had enough credit available back when they originally pre-authorized my credit card...and now I don't?

Normally it depends how much over the purchase will take you, if its not much then here in the uk you would go over your credit limit and proabbly get charged extra for doing so.

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Normally it depends how much over the purchase will take you, if its not much then here in the uk you would go over your credit limit and proabbly get charged extra for doing so.

For arguments sake, say it was $1500 over the credit limit and the credit card company didn't allow it. I don't see how apple could get their money recovered.

Again, I'm not doing this, I'm just pointing out a possible flaw in Apple's order processing system.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The item wouldn't ship, it would be held for you, so that you would realize the problem or they could contact you regarding it, then if you can pay, they'll ship it out immediately, otherwise, it goes back into the warehouse.

TEG

kincept

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
lets say for arguments sake they never charged you after you got it and then you cancelled your debit card and got a new one? what would happen?would apple come after you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.