Apple didn't even TRY to differentiate the iPhone from the iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by joeshell383, Nov 11, 2007.

1. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Most everyone realizes that the iPod Touch is a blatant cut and paste job, but as time advances more and more examples arise that emphasize the degree the problem.

Try the following to see another example:

From the home screen, open YouTube. With a Wi-Fi connection established, go to the "Search" panel and perform a search. Return to the home screen and navigate through the setting to turn off Wi-Fi. Return to YouTube and click on "Search" panel. Press "OK" when "Cannot connect to YouTube" appears. Then click one of the videos (still within "Search"). You'll get the message "YouTube videos require an EDGE or Wi-Fi connection."

They really should do some clean-up! (Unless the iPod Touch is getting EDGE, LOL.)

2. joefinan macrumors 6502a

And this is bad because?

I'm happy I've got an 'almost iPhone' without the 18month contract.

3. 667-75 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I don't see why such a fuss is made about the fact that the Touch and the iPhone have a lot in common. It is quite obvious, on an economic and development point of view and despite their trying to position the 2 products differently, why Apple chose a similar software platform.

In a way I'm glad they did (even though that is a major drawback for Apple), otherwise we might not have seen all these jailbreak-third party apps coming onto the Touch platform. And with the SDK coming out next year, it may really help software developpers as well.

4. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

Yeah, I agree with you..
    A quick search of the string "EDGE" wouldn't be much work...

5. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Wow, that is kind of funny. :p

Either way, I don't really mind that the iPod touch is just an iPhone without a phone. That's all I really wanted from it. I do wish it had that Weather application, though. :D

6. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

they did manage to remove some of the features mind, so they must have changed the source a little bit!

7. iLoveiPod macrumors regular

8. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There's no need to lie. :p

10. Axl Rose macrumors regular

11. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

This is probably the best quote I have heard in the iphone/itouch discussions and rounds it all up for me too.

I actually went into O2 yesterday to have a play with an iphone, yes very nice, and I guess I will miss googlemaps on the touch when i get it next week. I throw money away on gadgets and very nearly bought the phone, but i already have a nice phone for work and could NOT justify the £35 a month fee for what i might use 10 txts a month!

12. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Same here... This is like that "iPhone Deactivated" thing, it DOSENT MATTER!

13. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Its like the opposite for me, at the moment im paying £10 a month for 500 free texts and £10 for whatever I want (i've got a O2 Genie PAYG SIM) and I dont HAVE to pay that if I want, I just do it later, because its PAYG, but I would NOT pay £35 a month for 200 text a month! I never call anyone so the minutes are useless to me, and cool phone or not, its a rip off for me, I prefer what I already got.

14. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Thats what I just said, £35 a month is a total rip off, I only send maybe 40 txts a month and I think that O2 are raping customers who want to buy the iphone.
    Anyway I jumped from been netted by them as I had a 16gb itouch brought from the USA and it cost me £200. Going to break it and install all the apps :D

I think Apple/O2 will lose a lot of sales due to the stupid price AND 18 MONTH lock in.

I dont think so.

15. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

One difference that bugs me...

I don't have an iTouch yet (hoping santa brings one...) but one thing is holding me back ( I mean... holding santa back....) For those of you who own an iTouch, does the lack of an external volume control make it sort of a pain in the XXX to use as an iPod? Just wondering. I like being able to control my nano without even looking.... what do you think?

16. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

I hadn't thought about that... has the iTouch been affected by the jaibreak mess with the iPhone? Have the jailbreaks and subsequent OS revisions resulted in any problems on the iTouch? Bricking?

17. garethh macrumors regular

I went into an O2 shop today to have another play with the iPhone and talked to the man who wanted to sell me one. I said that I'd rather have the iPod touch because of the lack of contract. Then he pointed out that out of what I though were 8 iPhones on display, one was actually the iPod touch. I suppose it makes good sense. Don't want the contract? Well look what you can have instead!

18. CrockettGTO macrumors regular

I think this was actually a smart business decision by Apple. Consider,all the people who can't switch Cell providers or are in beginning of a contract with their current provider, or have corporate agreements. Those who can afford 300 or 400 bucks but not 400 plus another 60 bucks a month for 18-24 months. The youngsters who don't have credit or their parents don't wish to fork out the bucks for their 16 year old kids. Not only did Apple grab a "new-old market" with all of the iPhone sales but also increased their sales by offering an alternative with similar features and more storage. Gobbling up the remainder of folks who felt like they were "missing out" due to contractual obligations or whatever have you.
    my .02

19. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Not really, just double click the home button, im used to it now.