Apple digital AV adapter not compatible with Pioneer TV?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bmwsport, Apr 16, 2011.

1. bmwsport macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyoneelse is having issues with using the digital AV adapter with Pioneer TVs? I get no image and no error message. Granted my TV is a few years old, but is capable of accepting 1080i, 720p signals. Not sure why I'm not getting any images. Trying to view video downloaded from iTunes. And also trying to view photos. No luck on both. Maybe time to upgrade the TV.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

IMHO if you can return it do so and use the $40 towards a $100 Apple TV 2.

3. bmwsport thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe a good idea. Are there any differences between the AV adapter and Apple TV? What I mean is, are there some file formats or apps that Apple TV doesn't support that you may be able to stream with the AV adapter?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The ATV2 is an iOS device. It'll playback You Tube, music (AAC, MP3) movies (M4V) and photos that the iPad will wirelessly via AirPlay. It won't mirror though.
    Since Apple has no restocking fees it's worth a shot. Awesome device IMO, especially when using the iPad Remote app.

5. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Have you checked the settings on the iPad? (go to the Settings, and tap "Video" on the left)

It has options for TV Out.

Also, check to see if there are any settings in your Pioneer TV Menu for configuring the input you're using. I've got an older Pioneer Elite 610HD that does only 1080i also. The TV menu has tons of settings.

Oh, you an also try doing a cold reboot of your iPad with the cable plugged in and the TV on. Do the "hold the menu/power buttons, and slide-to-power-off" thing, not just hitting the power button. That's kind of a long shot, but it's worth a try.

I have the VGA cable for mine, and it works with both my TV's, but VGA generally doesn't give people much problems (as it's a straight Analog signal.)

I have an Apple TV 2, and honestly, it's a much better experience. Almost everything supports AirPlay now. (CrunchyRoll.com is the only site I use that gives me problems, it supports audio only on AirPlay which is a bummer.)

Good luck! Let us know if you get it working.

6. bmwsport thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip! A cold reboot did the trick! I'm able to view videos as well as photos to stream via digital AV adapter to my TV. I was thinking about the ATV but actually want to wait and see the refresh for the Mac Mini. I'm hoping the Mac Mini will get the Sandy Bridge update soon.