Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
About Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.0

This update extends RAW file compatibility for Aperture 2 and iPhoto ’08 for the following cameras:

Hasselblad CFV-16
Hasselblad H3D-31
Hasselblad H3D-31II
Leaf Aptus 54S
Leaf Aptus 65S
Nikon D60
Olympus E-3
Pentax *ist DL2
Pentax *ist DS2
Pentax K100D Super
Sony DSLR-A200
Sony DSLR-A350

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2005
The full list in Apple Support doesnt mention support for the NEW Canon 450/XSi... it does list the other Rebels. Can one assume that XSi RAW will work with Aperture 2.01 ? Would the XSi RAW files be "different" from the other Rebels?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Thanks. Makes sense. What's the work around if there is no specific 45D RAW support? I am new at this so learning.

The best solution is just to wait for the support to arrive. Aperture 2.0 can use DNG files for unsupported files if you have the capabilities to translate the files.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thanks. Makes sense. What's the work around if there is no specific 45D RAW support? I am new at this so learning.

Use some other raw conversion software to convert the 45D raw to a file format Aperture can read then import that into Aperture.

Aperture can read TIFF, PSD and DNG. It can read others lijr JPG but you loose a lot with 8 bit per channel formats. I would pick one of the above as your "intermediate format"

What "other raw conversion software". Canon ships one with the camera, there are quite a few 3rd party converters. Adobe "ACR" or Lightroom, "bibble", cdraw,....

Bottom line is that using a Aperture for a raw workflow is ugly if Aperture does not support your camera.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Yes. They are different: every sensor is different and the RAW data is sensor specific.
I don't think that's strictly true... dcraw, for example, imports from a lot of sensor types that it wasn't specifically coded for.

I think the difference is that Aperture has built in profiles for how to get the best appearance (color, contrast, noise, etc) from each sensor, and that is unique.

I don't think there's any reason Aperture couldn't read the data and let you set the adjustments, they just don't.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Why Page Two ??????

Really what is the scoop here with this being a page two item. This is hot news for the photography crowd.

Dave

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
UK
Pentax?

What about the Pentax K20D + Pentax K200D? Updates have been issued by adobe already for lightroom! Come on apple!

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Really what is the scoop here with this being a page two item. This is hot news for the photography crowd.

Dave

If you scroll down page 2, you'll find that many updates are similarly placed. I do hope this portends better/more frequent attention to imaging support from Apple, though.

boer

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
The full list in Apple Support doesnt mention support for the NEW Canon 450/XSi... it does list the other Rebels.

The hell with Apple not supporting cameras that have not shipped yet! :D

Seriously though, that model will be very popular and I am sure Apple will implement the support in due time. After all, I for one have preordered that camera. ;)

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Not A Rumor Though

If you scroll down page 2, you'll find that many updates are similarly placed. I do hope this portends better/more frequent attention to imaging support from Apple, though.

Lets face it a released update is not a page two rumor!

Now this does not mean that I don't want to see info on each and every Apple release. Such information is very valuable to the average user not to mention the more advance user. The problem is they are not rumors at all. It is news of course, but why not categorize it properly.

Good conventional news sites make use of sections for various things and try to keep those sections focused. Thus when you go to CNN's sports section you can read about sports. If there is one place information on a released update doesn't belong is in a section devoted to rumors. Just like you don't expect travel articles in the sports section of a new broadcast.

Dave

jdurston

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2004
Waterloo, Canada
Bottom line is that using a Aperture for a raw workflow is ugly if Aperture does not support your camera.

Actually it is pretty straightforward to use a DNG based workflow in Aperture 2regardless of camera support.

1. The Adobe DNG convertor standalone can read the files off your compact flash and save the converted files to your local drive.

2. Then just import the images into you selected project.
If your using a Aperture supported camera Aperture will automatically use it's Camera specific RAW engine, if not it will use it's DNG 2.0 RAW engine.

I like to convert to DNG regardless of camera support because the DNG files are a couple megs smaller due to compression without the time and processor constrants of a DSLR body.

Also, as far as the quality of conversion for higher end medium format backs are you really referring to the new camera specific RAW support or generic DNG support. It's too early to tell anything until some examples have been posted. You can't even buy the Canon 450D yet aside from pre-orders.

wwwdotcomdotnet

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2007
Is there a list somewhere that shows every single camera that is compatible with the program?

I have an Olympus E510 and was wondering if it's RAW format would work with Aperture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.