Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belard

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
I do look at them, to see if app has any common problem,before I buy it..
I used to use TPB for that, but since that last switch-off it's been feeling kind of dodgy, and now I'm kind of at a loss on where to go.
App store reviews are mostly harmless. Also, useless.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Please don't tell me people were leaving negative reviews for applications whilst using a pre-release OS. :(

Give the developers and Apple a chance to perfect things.....
Unfortunately they were. People just don't understand. I say they should disable screenshots also so they can't share features with other people. They block screenshots on internal builds. That does make bug reporting harder though.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
many people are so jaded and/or incompetent they probably wouldn't care or even realize why the link brought them there. their frustration lies with an app that 'is awful and a bunch of doodie' as far as they're concerned. i think apple is right in making sure they don't do anything at all, as useless feedback is still just useless. the sheer number of idiots who now have powerful devices in their pockets and absolutely zero appreciation or understanding regarding them is mind-boggling.

a good number of people at my job think i'm a total computer geek cause i can set up their 'find my iPhone,' or know that background app refreshes drains battery, so "turn most of those off." take two or three common words that anyone understands, put them together in context with technology and its like the words are now in japanese. "background app refresh? what the heck is that mumbo jumbo??"

clearly, there's more going on than not being able to follow simple 1-2-3 steps. it's some weird mental block having to do with tech culture. many people would rather complain and throw tantrums than figure basic things out.
Well said.

Reactions: teslo

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So you can’t actually say, “runs crap on iOS9”, but you can leave a 1 star score instead. That’s genius Tim, (nice but dim).
Hold it, I must have overlooked that part. Why would they leave the ability to rate if they are disabling the ability to review?

BeardMan7

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2015
Germany
I'm shocked that a company as developed enough to release public betas do not create greater control and education on what a beta is and how it is used

You'll get information and how to use public betas at the beta program website, but for Apple it's difficult to control the intelligence of dumb beta users, maybe it's also difficult to control for themselves before writing a bad review :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
I'm shocked that a company as developed enough to release public betas do not create greater control and education on what a beta is and how it is used

They're very clear, over and over again, during the process about what a Beta is.

They state:
"Please keep in mind that you should not install beta software on production or business-critical systems. We strongly recommend installing beta software on a secondary system or device, or on a secondary partition on your Mac."

But people want new and shiny toys right now, ignore the warnings, and then only care about the inevitable problems when they arise.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
They're very clear, over and over again, during the process about what a Beta is.

They state:
"Please keep in mind that you should not install beta software on production or business-critical systems. We strongly recommend installing beta software on a secondary system or device, or on a secondary partition on your Mac."

But people want new and shiny toys right now, ignore the warnings, and then only care about the inevitable problems when they arise.
In people mind, their phone isn't used to product nor is it business-critical. They want to chat, play, and watch cat videos.
Anyway, I wonder how many useful bug report they get from these public betas.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Smartest thing Apple has done in a while
I though so too until it was pointed out that people can still apparently rate apps while they can no longer review them. Not sure how much sense it really makes then.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Nothing more frustrating to see bad reviews from people that could be helped with a simple clarifying or supporting email.

I would really love for Apple to add an option that asks a reviewer for permission to be contacted by the developer.
Or better, ask if the reviewer would like to contact app-support before posting a 1 or 2 star review.

The people that contact me are the ones that really helped me most to improve the quality of my app. Ironically, the few 'WANT MONEY BACK' customers even became the most loyal beta testers.

Just as background, my app is a remote control app for certain hifi equipment. It's on the store since 2009, is already optimized for iOS9 (side-by-side) and still runs perfectly on an iPad 1 with iOS 5.1.1. Average rating is 4*. It typically receives either 5 or 1 star ratings. The 1 stars are mostly for not reading the app store description, resulting in expectations it can't fulfill. Or there is some 3rd-party configuration issue like the iPhone not being on the same WIFI as the 3rd.party equipment. The app even shows how to identify and fix these but some people simply don't read and instead rather write a negative review...

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
Does anyone actually look at the ratings? They're useless. The written reviews can be useful in some cases, and that's it.

Um. ya. Even if no one took the time to leave a written review I won't even bother with a 1-2 star app. Not a lot of apps in the market that don't have direct competitors to chose from

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
This is great news. Beta users should not be able to leave star ratings or reviews at all. The links should take them to a bug reporter-style area where they can submit reports.

THIS!! That is an amazing idea. The people that don't understand the word beta still get to vent and rather than mess up the dev's reviews, actually provide feedback. This could be a big help with development.

I get that contacting the dev is what we are expected to do but since Apple is making the beta public they kinda need to make a few adjustments to deal with people like that.

Great idea!!

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Does anyone actually look at the ratings? They're useless. The written reviews can be useful in some cases, and that's it.
True. I only look at ratings after downloading an app that has problems, then I look to see if others have had those same problems, by looking at the reviews.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I usually just write an email to the developer telling them the problem, especially when I am on a beta OS.
Often they are aware and are working on a fix.

it is a shame to see people treating a beta OS as a stable system.
You should expect things not to run smoothly and for that you should not complain. It is told very clearly that you are using software which is not finished.

As of now both my iPad and iPhone are running iOS 9 public beta and my rmbp will be updated to 10.11 once I get home from vacation.

hselburn1

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
Question is when is the next public beta builds are shipping? It's possible for a dev build like beta 4 to have fixes for issues being reported in the public beta so why would any public beta Tester submit feedback now when their build us no longer valid?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Since this is beta, I can see why apple had done this, makes sense.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
yep,, i get why Apple would do this,... Also would confuse people to... "I'm not going to buy this app cause based on the reviews it must be a crap game since it only got 1 star rating" not realizing it was from iOS9 beta.

Well done Apple for plugging this.

But then u can see why users treat betas as stable, it's clearly shows who and who has not read the agreements. That's my reaction to stuff like that.

Reactions: rugmankc

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
One quite popular audiobook is on iTunes for $22, on Amazon it's two parts each for $14. Guess how many reviews complaining about the iTunes price (yes, $22 is so much more than 2 x $14). Idiots. And how is complaining about the price in a review useful to anyone? I can see the price. It's clearly advertised. You don't have to tell me in the review. Tell me about the product, the things that I cannot see from the product description.

Those people aren't complaining for your benefit, they're complain to whoever is selling the item...

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Frankly, this was both predictable and preventable.

It shouldn't have taken developer's product's reputations being hurt to correct this.

I hope Apple offers a tool to purge all ios9 beta related comments and ratings from the app store.

Reactions: teslo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.