MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just hours after officially discontinuing the iMac Pro, Apple has also discontinued the 512GB and 1TB SSD configurations of the 4K 21.5-inch iMac.

imac-21-ssds-discontinued.jpg

Last month, both options became unavailable for purchase, although it was unclear at the time whether it was a temporary issue due to a component supply problem or if it was a permanent decision to no longer offer the options.

Apple has now removed both of the affected SSD options from the iMac’s configuration page entirely, leaving a 256GB SSD and a 1TB Fusion Drive as the only options for customers.

An all-new redesigned iMac based on Apple silicon is expected to launch later this year, but a more specific launch timeframe isn't yet known.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues 512GB and 1TB SSD Configurations of 4K 21.5-inch iMac

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
There’re not out of stock though. They’re discontinued, meaning Apple no longer intends to sell them.
Exactly. Apple is optimizing its chips right now to prevent iPhone delays. We know this is getting updated this year, but Apple is choosing not to keep the old models in stock until the new one comes out. It’s unprecedented.

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
I wonder if a M1 iMac will just be a quiet release?

Just hours after officially discontinuing the iMac Pro, Apple has also discontinued the 512GB and 1TB SSD configurations of the 4K 21.5-inch iMac.
I remember a few years back, there were many threads with people asking when Apple was going to update the iMac Pro. My thoughts back then were that the iMac Pro was an one-time release, a stop-gap until the Mac Pro.

Looks like that might be the case.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I wonder if a M1 iMac will just be a quiet release?

I remember a few years back, there were many threads with people asking when Apple was going to update the iMac Pro. My thoughts back then were that the iMac Pro was an one-time release, a stop-gap until the Mac Pro.

Looks like that might be the case.
That is a good thought. Apple has already explained their new chip. There is really no need to rehash the same type information with an hour video. The last presentation was entirely too long, in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.