Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new Series 4 Apple Watch lineup is missing the higher-end ceramic Apple Watch Edition models that were first introduced in 2016.

In fact, there are no higher-end Apple Watch Edition models at all this year, with Apple offering only GPS and GPS + Cellular Aluminum and Stainless Steel Series 4 Apple Watch options.

applewatchedition-3-800x320.jpg

"Edition" models were first introduced alongside the original Apple Watch, with Apple offering solid gold Apple Watch options at prices that exceeded $10,000.

These models did not prove to be popular with consumers and Apple did not continue offering solid gold Apple Watch options beyond the original Apple Watch.

applewatchedition-800x440.jpg

With the Apple Watch Series 2, Apple introduced "Edition" models that were made from ceramic priced starting at $1,299, which it continued offering when the Series 3 Apple Watches were announced.

Apple is continuing to sell Apple Watch Series 3 models as a low-cost option alongside new Apple Watch Series 4 models, but only in aluminum. Apple is no longer offering the Apple Watch Series 3 in stainless steel or ceramic, a material that has been discontinued.

The Apple Watch Series 4 is available in aluminum and stainless steel in colors that include Gold, Silver, Space Gray, and Space Black. Aluminum models start at $399, while stainless steel models are priced starting at $699. Stainless steel models start at a higher price point because all stainless steel models are equipped with LTE support.

With the launch of the Apple Watch Series 4 and the price drop on the Series 3 (which now starts at $279), Apple has also discontinued Apple Watch Series 1 models.

Apple Watch Series 4 will be available for pre-order on Friday, September 14, likely at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time. Orders will start shipping out on September 21, the launch date for the device.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues Apple Watch Edition

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
Because they were only ever headline grabbers and the only people that bought them were a little stupid? I’m mean, a gold Apple Watch. The only one I ever seen was on an Apple Store employee. Surely that income doesn’t warrant that luxury. Fair comment he got his 15 minutes of fame, but I bet he’s not loving his £10k Apple Watch now.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
There never should’ve been an “Edition.” It was a horrible idea to try to sell a premium version of a product that people can buy a base version of for $200-400. At least it wasn’t as crazy as the gold Edition! I called its failure right away. No one would buy one over a Rolex Daytona or AP Royal Oak! You would have to be the biggest Apple fan or just in the habit of burning cash.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Didn't employees get a 50% discount on the original Watch though? I mean really, can't blame him, that's basically the price of the gold in it at the point.

Reactions: Peter K.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Because they were only ever headline grabbers and the only people that bought them were a little stupid? I’m mean, a gold Apple Watch. The only one I ever seen was on an Apple Store employee. Surely that income doesn’t warrant that luxury. Fair comment he got his 15 minutes of fame, but I bet he’s not loving his £10k Apple Watch now.

They are completely worthless since two years ago!!! Should’ve bought a steel Rolex instead and would’ve been happy for decades to come lol!

Reactions: Slippery Gimp

RoobyRoobyRoo

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2016
There never should’ve been an “Edition.” It was a horrible idea to try to sell a premium version of a product that people can buy a base version of for $200-400. At least it wasn’t as crazy as the gold Edition! I called its failure right away. No one would buy one over a Rolex Daytona or AP Royal Oak! You would have to be the biggest Apple fan or just in the habit of burning cash.

The fashion market is filled with products that are way overpriced and exist only for luxury and to serve as a status symbol. Apple really wasn't very out of place in offering the Edition. The kind of person rich enough to seriously consider buying one operates on a completely different set of values and priorities than you and I.

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
It was Jony Ive's call, and it's not like Apple couldn't afford the idea.

Although Hermes is a good premium product even if it's the stainless steel with their faces, can always use their bands for future models.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
The fashion market is filled with products that are way overpriced and exist only for luxury and to serve as a status symbol. Apple really wasn't very out of place in offering the Edition. The kind of person rich enough to seriously consider buying one operates on a completely different set of values and priorities than you and I.

No, no and no. The wealthy person buys a Patek Nautilus (50-60k), an AP Royal Oak (17-25k), Rolex Daytona (20-22k) or Rolex GMT Master Pepsi (20-22k) not a disposable gold Apple Watch. Trust me! I am a watch fanatic.

These are watches that no one will confuse with a gold plated steel Apple Watch.

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
Didn't employees get a 50% discount on the original Watch though? I mean really, can't blame him, that's basically the price of the gold in it at the point.
No way is ther 5k’s worthnof fold in an fold Apple Watch. Even that is a deluded way of looking at it.
[doublepost=1536784748][/doublepost]
Speak for yourself!
[doublepost=1536784819][/doublepost]
People keep talking about the gold watch, but the ceramic one had a legit reason to exist.

Really hoping it comes back, I have one and I love that it’s essentially immune to scratches.
But looks like cheap plastic.

batsabode

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Gulfport, Fl
Does anyone know what the specs specifically how much the new watch weigh in comparison to the series 3 Hoping the Stainless steel series 4 is the same weight as the aluminum series 3. 44 mm

Reactions: GreginNJ

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
People keep talking about the gold watch, but the ceramic one had a legit reason to exist.

Really hoping it comes back, I have one and I love that it’s essentially immune to scratches.

One year into my Hermes stainless steel, and it still looks like new. Barely any scratch and I knocked little things.

Plus there are easy repair remedies like Nevr Dull if it's get that's scratchy.

Although I did like the white ceramic. It just has a higher-class feel with it being available as white.

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
The problem is that you can’t sell a technological product for jewelry since it will be obsolete in a few years. It’s one thing to design products with nice industrial design and materials and another to sell a gold smart watch. Having said that, the prices of the stainless steel watches and the non silicone bands are so expensive that in the end you end up paying close to the ceramic either way.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
One year into my Hermes stainless steel, and it still looks like new. Barely any scratch and I knocked little things.

Plus there are easy repair remedies like Nevr Dull if it's get that's scratchy.

Although I did like the white ceramic. It just has a higher-class feel with it being available as white.

I tend to knock hard against walls and tables often, so it definitely worked well for me. I used to own the Series 0 stainless steel, the screen remained good, but it definitely gathered a lot of scratches over time.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
No, no and no. The wealthy person buys a Patek Nautilus (50-60k), an AP Royal Oak (17-25k), Rolex Daytona (20-22k) or Rolex GMT Master Pepsi (20-22k) not a disposable gold Apple Watch. Trust me! I am a watch fanatic.

These are watches that no one will confuse with a gold plated steel Apple Watch.

Absolutely.

Edition always seemed like a Jony Ive ego project as I suspect they he wanted to work with materials more commonly found in luxury watches ie gold alloys and ceramic.

Cook, I suspect, was always uncomfortable with this as Apple are more positioned as akin to BMW or Audi compared to Bentley, for example.

The Hermes watch now fulfills the role of those that want something that feels a little more luxury.

But as you said, even $1-1.5k is a drop in the ocean compared to true luxury watch prices.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
5B8858CB-352E-4EB5-8223-AD3AEA73DC46.jpeg
8913BD59-9FB1-4FA1-AC70-91F9CD816C17.jpeg

Both of these will be worth more than I paid for them down the road. If you’re going to buy expensive watches, they must be mechanical and either Rolex, AP, Patek, Vacheron and Lange.

Reactions: DevNull0

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
Looks like i will be hanging on to my apple watch series 3 ceramic edition might make a few dollars on it now that they are no longer produced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.