Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the launch of the Beats Fit Pro this morning, Apple has discontinued several older Beats headphones options, including the $150 Powerbeats, the $250 Beats Solo Pro, and the $130 Beats EP on-ear headphones.

solo-pro-beats.jpg

These Beats headphone options were listed on Apple's online store as of yesterday, but today, attempting to visit one of the links for the products brings up a warning that the accessories are no longer available for purchase.

apple-sold-out-warning.jpg

Twitter users noticed the absence of the Beats headphones earlier today, and it appears they disappeared from Apple's site shortly after the debut of the Beats Fit Pro.

With the discontinuation of the Powerbeats, Beats Solo Pro, and Beats EP, Apple's beats lineup now includes the Beats Studio Buds, Powerbeats Pro, Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphones, Beats Flex, Beats Studio3, Beats Solo3, Beats Fit Pro, and Beats Pill+, all of which can be purchased from Apple's website.

Apple today also introduced temporary price drops for several older Beats options, including the Beats Flex, Beats Studio Buds, and the Power Beats Pro, which are available at discounts ranging from $20 to $50.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues Powerbeats, Beats Solo Pro, and Beats EP

tipoo

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
The Beats Solo Pro were a pretty decent product, although the clamping force and on-ear nature could make it uncomfortable after not long.

I hope this means an improved version is coming.

stevet

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
I never really understood the on ear design. Seems like it would be uncomfortable? Though sounds like some people loved them?
They do get uncomfortable at times, especially when the room is warm. But they usually offer a much better listening experience with respect to tonal reproduction and bass response when compared to in ears.

Reactions: Sebosz

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
They do get uncomfortable at times, especially when the room is warm. But they usually offer a much better listening experience with respect to tonal reproduction and bass response when compared to in ears.
Better comfort than in-ears for sure, they don't do so well against the more comfortable and better selling Solo 3.

The Solo 3 has to be the company's best selling headphones and they're what, three years old now? A Solo 4 with noise cancellation is likely right around the corner - which would remove the only feature advantage of the Solo Pro.

My guess is the Solo 4 are delayed due to covid, and they've run out of stock on the Solo Pro.

Reactions: jimbobb24

Royksöpp

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2013
Beats makes great earbuds and that is exactly the direction they should be going in. No one is going to miss those overpriced tin cans.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
I never really understood the on ear design. Seems like it would be uncomfortable? Though sounds like some people loved them?
If they are light and well padded on the headband, they don't really need to press against your ears.

I own on-ear (Solo 3) and over-ear (Shure SR440), as well as earbuds (AirPods Pro). My Solo 3's are the ones I wear all day long because they're the most comfortable of the lot.

My over-ear Shures sound heaps better, but they're kinda sweaty and I hate having a cable hanging off me... so I regret buying them. I only use the AirPods when I'm outside.

Reactions: JGIGS

Archeteo

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
The Beats Solo Pro were a pretty decent product, although the clamping force and on-ear nature could make it uncomfortable after not long.

I hope this means an improved version is coming.
I had purchased a pair but after a while they just hurt to have on. Wish they’d update the Studios.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
The solo pro was at a weird price point and feature-wise.
Had it been over ear, that would be great, but it would step into studio 3's category.
Under the solo pro, there is also the solo 3 without the noise cancellation for on ear headphones that is almost always on sale.
Just a bit surprised about the Powerbeats though.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'm with you, on the ear becomes painful after only a few minutes. Maybe we just have stiffer ear cartilage. My wife has soft bendy ears, mine, not so much.

My daily drivers are HD660S over-the-ear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.