All iPads Apple discontinuing 16GB model?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bjs2010uk, Feb 8, 2014.

1. bjs2010uk macrumors newbie

Hi I have just been in to my local Currys PC World to purchase an iPad Air 32GB Wifi (white), which I was so excited about until I got to the till and the sales advisor told me that the item was clearance as Apple are going to discontinue the 16GB version of the iPad's very soon and have the 32GB as standard! Also he stated that the 32GB would be the same price as the 16GB is now! I still bought the iPad as I just thought he didn't know what he was on about but another sales advisor re-confirmed the same points!

Bit gutted because I don't want to buy the iPad to only have wasted £80 extra on the 32GB model that I could have saved by waiting a couple of weeks or something.

Find it strange that there haven't been any rumors of this to date, even just googled and couldn't find anything about this sort of news.

Anyone heard of this happening?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I think the sales person was spreading rumor.

3. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

You can pretty much ignore anything that the salespeople in Currys / PC World say, they tend to just want you in and out with something in a bag as quick as possible. From my experience they have very little idea about anything to do with the technological side of things. All about the sale

4. bjs2010uk thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm my thoughts exactly. I was very skeptical about their comments, as I don't see that they will have been told any top secret information. The second advisor stated that they were discontinuing the old models, whatever they meant by that I don't know?!

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Zero chance a sales person at a retail store knows any "inside" information about unannounced plans Apple may or may not have. Most of these folks tend to state their opinion as fact so as to appear smarter than everyone else and "in the know".

6. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

Yeah, on the odd occasion I go in I usually get pounced on by someone and told some sort of rubbish :rolleyes: By that comment they probably just meant that they will stop selling the iPad 4th generation when they run out of stock (Apple stopped selling them except for refurbs back in October)

7. Bear macrumors G3

The iPad 2 16GB and original 16GB iPad mini might be up for being discontinued, but I don't think it would happen for a few months yet.

And if Apple is changing the minimum storage onthe iPad line, I suspect it wouldn't happen until the iPad line is updated.

Although this is only my best guess as to what might happen... and this is not necessarily what will happen.

8. bjs2010uk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea who knows what might happen but the move could annoy a lot of loyal Apple fans. I have decided to just ignore it and go ahead with opening the air, can't believe how light it is!

9. JemTheWire macrumors member

You don't believe anything a Currys PC world salesperson tells you, do you? I would be surprised if they even knew how to turn an iDevice on!

10. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the sales person was in the know. :)

11. leebroath macrumors 6502

leebroath

Think about all the revenue Apple makes from people who purchase a 16gb model then decide on the yearly subscription of iCloud

I know it costs millions to run those servers but even at that Apple must be making a wealthy profit from it

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

The 16GB model serves an even greater purpose for Apple and that is they hope the potential buyer will move up to the 32GB model which some estimates say cost them an additional $10 and they turn around and charge an additional $100.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The staff in the Apple store-in-store sections of the larger stores are employed by Apple UK and should know what they are talking about.

They wouldn't have any inside information on new products though, the chap in charge of the Apple section of my local store always asks me what the latest rumours are. :)

14. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

The point when Apple bumps the minimum isn't when it starts making sense from a purchasing standpoint to add more. It's when it stops making sense from a user experience standpoint to not make the change. In other words, they'll bump it to 32 when most customers (not MR readers) start experiencing 16 as inadequate for retina apps and a bit of media.

15. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

16 GB is by far the most popular model and indeed, most users are just fine with 16 GB of storage. They browse the web and read emails and may play a game or two. Every non-tech-loving person I know has a 16 GB model and none of them come close to memory limits.

So what incentive does Apple have to add more memory at the same price, which would also mean getting $100 extra instead of $200 for the 64 GB model and $200 instead of $300 for the 128?

And besides which, even if they were doing it, they wouldn't be doing it in February. They'd do it next autumn when new models come out. There isn't even a hint of a rumour of a speculation about new models right now.

16. leebroath macrumors 6502

leebroath

To be honest though we keep saying 16gb

but when it's used for the first time 16gb isn't fully usable is it?

Is it not something like 15gb usable space or something?:confused:

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Just under 13gb.

18. derbyshire2013 macrumors member

I'd be inclined to take what the salesperson said to you at Curry's PC World with a pinch of salt.

Just before Christmas when I was having a look at the MacBook Pro with Retina Display there was a couple asking the Apple "Guru" about iMacs and they asked a question about whether or not if their kids could install programs downloaded from the Internet and end up giving the computer a virus.

I really wanted to correct him when he said Macs don't get viruses, so you don't need Antivirus software. Yes, they can!

He also failed to mention to them about Apple's Gatekeeper feature so they could only install apps from recognised sources and/or the Mac App Store.

19. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Honestly there isnt a reason for apple not to keep selling 16gb models. They are cheaper to make, most people dont fill them up, and they can make a 5th level 256 and make more profit. I dont see 16gb going away anytime soon.

20. cynics macrumors G3

When someone tell you that Apple is going to discontinue a product that's selling well AND lower their prices.....don't walk, RUN!

21. spookylight macrumors newbie

There's a huge amount of 16GB buyers, as said they probably don't even come close to the limit despite IOS7 taking a large chunk.

Many just use them for surfing the net and even as just a book reader.

22. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

They are quoting rumor as fact. Apple wouldn't tell a store like that such deets and not tell all stores. Thus we would have heard it from several sources.

And the most likely time to do this would be with a new model which isn't likely to be until fall and no way would they tell stores six months in advance

23. derbyshire2013 macrumors member

I'm an owner of an iPhone 5S 64GB and iPad Mini with Retina Display 16GB WiFi + LTE.

Seeing as I use my iPhone more I decided it'd be better for me to have the extra storage space on there.

I would've gone for the 32GB version of the iPad but finances dictated otherwise.

When the tablets are refreshed again it's probable I'll opt for extra storage on my iPad.

24. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

At this point in time, it's likely around just $6 or something.

25. SuperPolli, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

SuperPolli macrumors regular

Probably Going To Happen. Here's Why...

I hadn't heard of it but it doesn't seem unlikely. When Apple stopped selling the 8 GB iPhone as a new model they shifted the 16 GB model to the 8 GB's old price. As time goes on the price of the drives goes down and Apple can afford to do this. At this point I now think that the next generation of iPad may have 32 GB at the current 16 GB price point, with every storage size above that moved down one price level.

If you followed that description kudos to you... I had to keep rereading as I wrote to make sure I was making sense! :rolleyes: :apple: