Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Discontinuing iTunes U at the End of 2021

doobydoooby

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Genève, Switzerland
Such a shame, it was one of those things for the public good that a multi billion dollar company could be respected for providing without it being a big money spinner. Ah well back to reality. Does anyone have alternative suggestions where we can find good educational material from universities? I found that Yale do provide quite a bit on their own website, that’s the only one I’ve seen.

Comment

honglong1976

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Ok, take a deep breath o_O Apple has lost the education market with its ham fisted approach so far. There is little evidence Apple has any clue what the education market needs, wants and can afford.
Covid19 was the perfect time for educational app to show what they can do.

Zoom, Teams, have all going from strength to strength.

I work in education and it's obvious from iTunes U, it is not something that's an Apple priority.

I don't blame them, stick to phones where they make a killing.

Comment

bollman

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
I expect a lot more of this coming. Skip all stuff that's not hip, cool and enables Apple to charge an arm and a leg.
There's not much left of the Apple software division besides the different OS:es.
I expect Server, and of course ARD to get the axe very soon.
Next up: Logic and FCP.

Reactions: JosephAW
Comment

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
India
I have always lamented that Apple's push into books never took off. It was a mistake to not release a dedicated e-ink reader and to allow Amazon to dominate the e-reader space through the 3rd party acquisitions of Audible and Comixology.
Yes. It’s a monopoly. So far, not a problem as a consumer. Audible productions are absolutely stellar. And while e-ink tech feels stuck - I don’t know how many people would want a complex feature rich e-reader. And the catalog of kindle books is massive and quite reasonably priced. That said, competition would have been nice in this space.

Comment

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I learned Objective-C and Swift through iTunes U. Sad to see it's go. I hope they can automatically migrate all the content to the Apple Podcasts. Some great content there.

Reactions: throAU
Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
Apple is cleaning the house and that is a good thing, I don't like clutter. While the idea behind iTunes U is great, it was just a mess and was not well organized, using the app was not pleasant. You can see tumbleweeds in there.

Comment

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Schools won't care if it doesn't run on Chromebooks.
Yep, I have grandkids on both coasts, Virginia and Califronia; all 7 of them have Chromebooks from schools. I know it's a small sample but 100% is a large percentage 😁.

Reactions: cflem
Comment

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
Tim Cook is a been counter with no grasp of what the education market wants or needs.

The bigger issue is that teachers had a difficult time with integrating iPads into their curriculums. Beyond the initial hardware sales Apple offered no help in that regard.
[automerge]1591882997[/automerge]
I'm well out of school, but have browsed through iTunes U for content and learned quite a bit. This is really sad. I don't understand the motivation.

This was a far better platform than YouTube for content like this. Merging it with Podcasts was the beginning of the end. It functioned better as a stand alone app. I'm guess Apple intended it to be picked up by more Universities in their day to day and are disappointed that didn't work out. Still, as a self learning tool it was fantastic.

It was a great idea. However it fell flat on its face in terms of integration with existing school IT infrastructure. IT staff at schools and univerisities couldn't figure out the best way to connect iTunes U with existing content and grading systems.

Last edited:
Comment

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I learned Objective-C and Swift through iTunes U. Sad to see it's go. I hope they can automatically migrate all the content to the Apple Podcasts. Some great content there.
I’m guessing there won’t be any more CS193p classes with Paul Hegarty now, :-(

Been watching his course since the 2009-2010 time frame.

• Sad
Reactions: urtules
Comment

pers0n

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2014
A lot of the stuff on there was old and never updated. I guess its great for subjects that dont change (unlike technology based topics)

Comment

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Further agenda of Tim Cook making Apple 'Cooks Apple' (anyone else see the similarities of current vs former presidents here)? Books still exists though, Apple Photo Books now that was really nice. Anyone have those?
Yep, had one created of a lovely holiday we had in the USA back in 2010.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment

BuffaloTF

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2008
Legit question - are you a teacher?

No. But as a parent tasked to be a teacher over the past several months for kids in 2 different grades -- it sucks as a user. Like, I can't imagine it being worse. It's like a Facebook feed, cluttered by comments and no clear direction on what is relevant and not.

Comment

cflem

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Texas
No. But as a parent tasked to be a teacher over the past several months for kids in 2 different grades -- it sucks as a user. Like, I can't imagine it being worse. It's like a Facebook feed, cluttered by comments and no clear direction on what is relevant and not.

LOL...

It's great. And I'm an Apple fanboy - Google Classroom has destroyed Apple in the education space. Period.

Comment

BuffaloTF

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2008
LOL...

It's great. And I'm an Apple fanboy - Google Classroom has destroyed Apple in the education space. Period.

OK... Google Classroom sucks, and that's independent of any alternatives available. It objectively is terrible on every level. The look, the UI, the function. It's a pathetic attempt at... something.

Comment

cflem

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Texas
OK... Google Classroom sucks, and that's independent of any alternatives available. It objectively is terrible on every level. The look, the UI, the function. It's a pathetic attempt at... something.

LOL... okay.

Comment

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
OK... Google Classroom sucks, and that's independent of any alternatives available.
Moot point when the only alternative available must run on a Chromebook ... because that's the platform the schools choose. 😁

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.