Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New-Logo-Vertical-Dark.jpg
In late May, Apple began offering same-day delivery of certain products in its Apple Store app via a partnership with courier service Postmates. Before that agreement was in place, Apple was in talks with Uber about a similar partnership, according to the Wall Street Journal.
In recent months, Uber lost out on the opportunity to make deliveries in some cities for Apple Inc. and Starbucks Corp., which discussed tie-ups with Uber but then made deals with startup courier service Postmates Inc., according to people familiar with the discussions.
The deal with Apple would have been a part of Uber's same-day delivery service, which it launched last year. The transportation company had plans to sign up dozens of retailers for the service but only ended up with 6 partnerships. It's unclear why talks between Apple and Uber fell apart, but a Gilt spokesperson told the WSJ that Uber was unable to insure high-priced items and that it "fell short of expectations".

Delivery with Postmates through the Apple Store app is currently only available within the Bay Area for a $19 delivery charge.

Article Link: Apple Discussed Delivery Deal With Uber Before Postmates Agreement

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
MacRumors July 12, 2020:

Thread title: Don't buy the new Mac

I'm so angry at Apple! I just downloaded and printed the new MacBook Pro Ultra Retinal implant on my 3D printer and it took over an hour to finish! Apple better figure out how to deliver new products properly before they announce them. I'm switching to Ford.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
I'm glad Apple didn't make any deals with Uber. The whole company seems bit shady. I'm talking about the actual Uber company and their management and not their so called partners aka drivers. Uber has great concept but it seems their only concern is their stock valuation. The amount of bad press from drivers should a warning sign for the management.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
Obviously apple didn't go with uber since they're making their own robotic iCars that will deliver iProducts anywhere. They should have just bought Uber for the software platform and built in customer base and applied it to their cars and skipped some R&D. ;)

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
Atlanta, GA
MacRumors July 12, 2020:

Thread title: Don't buy the new Mac

I'm so angry at Apple! I just downloaded and printed the new MacBook Pro Ultra Retinal implant on my 3D printer and it took over an hour to finish! Apple better figure out how to deliver new products properly before they announce them. I'm switching to Ford.
You meant :apple:Car right?;)

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I'm glad Apple didn't make any deals with Uber. The whole company seems bit shady. I'm talking about the actual Uber company and their management and not their so called partners aka drivers. Uber has great concept but it seems their only concern is their stock valuation. The amount of bad press from drivers should a warning sign for the management.

The problem is their drivers look at them as an employer and whine that they don't pay medical insurance, and that they cut commissions when they have competition. Driving for Uber is no different than selling something on eBay. You know the fees and if you don't like it you can go elsewhere.

I don't understand why anyone would want to drive for them though. $10-30 an hour when you have to subtract gas and car upkeep etc. No thanks. But like anything else people see it as quick cash. I take issue to those complaining about it. It's bad enough when people complain about their "horrible employers" but drivers don't work for Uber. Many who complain do so by saying how horrible it is working for them. Wake up. It's not a job. You're not an employee. If you don't like the pay don't turn on your driver app and get a real job.

Reactions: jhfenton

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe

That's a bit of an understatement. I would nominate them for the scumbag company of the year award, if there is such a thing. The thought that anyone works with them irks me.

Uber has an awful track record. They have been sexist, profiteer off disaster, gouge during emergencies, and irresponsible with privacy. Yet knowing all that, I think most people, including myself, would take an Uber over a taxi every time. What does that say about the taxi industry?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
All comments about Uber as a company aside, I am not sure I would have trusted my Apple products being delivered by an Uber driver. I use Uber enough to know that they come in all shapes and sizes (literally). Some would handle packages very well and others would have literally thrown them in the trunk. I dont want the delivery to be such a crap shoot. FEDEX and UPS are not perfect, but they are consistent. Not so with UBER.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
All comments about Uber as a company aside, I am not sure I would have trusted my Apple products being delivered by an Uber driver. I use Uber enough to know that they come in all shapes and sizes (literally). Some would handle packages very well and others would have literally thrown them in the trunk. I dont want the delivery to be such a crap shoot. FEDEX and UPS are perfect, but they are consistent. Not so with UBER.

aren't* :)

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
hit the wrong button. Please ignore this post.

No seriously, just leave.

Wait why are you still reading. getoutahear...

Dude you just don't listen.

:cool::p:D:eek:

(really this is a silly post to cover my track on a mistake I made)

Reactions: Dargoth

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
All comments about Uber as a company aside, I am not sure I would have trusted my Apple products being delivered by an Uber driver. I use Uber enough to know that they come in all shapes and sizes (literally). Some would handle packages very well and others would have literally thrown them in the trunk. I dont want the delivery to be such a crap shoot. FEDEX and UPS are not perfect, but they are consistent. Not so with UBER.

You seem to be watching too many UPS / FEDEX commercials. They are notorious for throwing boxes around like they're footballs. Not that it should matter since apple packages to handle the abuse.

alfonsog

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
I worked for Fedex for a few months. Throwing in a trunk is nothing... anything that doesn't make it in time for the stacking in airline containers just gets thrown in the regular baggage section of the plane. One time we had live lobsters walking around in there when their foam shipping containers broke with the turbulence. Another time a car windshield was shattered in pieces still in the box, still had to get delivered though...

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Uber has an awful track record. They have been sexist, profiteer off disaster, gouge during emergencies, and irresponsible with privacy. Yet knowing all that, I think most people, including myself, would take an Uber over a taxi every time. What does that say about the taxi industry?

That pretty much sums up how I feel about Uber too. But I live in the suburbs so I very rarely use or need to use Uber. The one time they really came in handy was when my wife needed to take Mini-QF to a doctor appt in Manhattan and she was able to request an Uber with a carseat each way from Penn Station. Hard to do that with a taxi.

Of course, it also says a great deal about Uber's reputation that a very techy/cutting edge/on top of the tech world news friend specifically told us to never take an Uber at night alone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.