Apple Display 27" TB on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kla0005, Mar 7, 2012.

1. kla0005 macrumors newbie

Mar 7, 2012
    Hi Guys,

My iMac is the 2011 model BEFORE March 7th where the new iMac came. So my iMac does NOT have a Thunderbolt port.

Now i'm sitting here with my new Apple Display 27" ThunderBolt Screen, trying to connect it with my iMac, but nothing happends. I tried to set the ThunberBolt plug into the displayport on my iMac (It's the same type cable) .. But nothing is happening?

Isn't there a way to make my display work on my iMac. Is that ThunderBolt really that important?

- Jonatan
  2. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2009
    Yeah,unfortunately, tb is not backward compatible with display port.
  3. kla0005 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 7, 2012
    Not at all?

So I simply just CANT use my new screen?
  4. KylePowers, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

KylePowers macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2011
    Under Requirements from the Apple Thunderbolt page:
    Sorry, you're outta luck :(

EDIT- What's said two posts above is a little misleading. TB is backwards compatible with MDP, in the sense that a TB cable can carry a MDP video signal. But unfortunately, MDP isn't forwards compatible with TB, in the sense that an MDP cable can provide a signal to a TB display. That would be a little more accurate, I think.

EDIT EDIT- That's also a little confusing. Basically, an MDP-only Mac can only work with an ACD. A TB Mac can also work with an ACD. A TBD will only work with a TB Mac. A TBD will not work with an MDP-only Mac.