Apple Display 27" TB on iMac

kla0005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Hi Guys,

My iMac is the 2011 model BEFORE March 7th where the new iMac came. So my iMac does NOT have a Thunderbolt port.

Now i'm sitting here with my new Apple Display 27" ThunderBolt Screen, trying to connect it with my iMac, but nothing happends. I tried to set the ThunberBolt plug into the displayport on my iMac (It's the same type cable) .. But nothing is happening?

Isn't there a way to make my display work on my iMac. Is that ThunderBolt really that important?

Thanks.
- Jonatan

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Under Requirements from the Apple Thunderbolt page:
Thunderbolt-enabled Mac computer, including MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac
Sorry, you're outta luck :(

EDIT- What's said two posts above is a little misleading. TB is backwards compatible with MDP, in the sense that a TB cable can carry a MDP video signal. But unfortunately, MDP isn't forwards compatible with TB, in the sense that an MDP cable can provide a signal to a TB display. That would be a little more accurate, I think.

EDIT EDIT- That's also a little confusing. Basically, an MDP-only Mac can only work with an ACD. A TB Mac can also work with an ACD. A TBD will only work with a TB Mac. A TBD will not work with an MDP-only Mac.

Last edited: