Apple Display Alternative

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by diddlesdee, Jan 22, 2012.

1. diddlesdee macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm looking for an alternative to the apple thunderbolt displays. I want something that looks as good, so probably an IPS panel, around the 20-27 inch mark. But my budget is fairly poor between the £150 - £250 mark. I'm running a 2011 mini on an old Samsung 19 inch TV at 720 using the HDMI to DVI which looks okay but it ain't brilliant.

I'd been looking at the AOC i2353FH, and for the price it seems good, anyone had a one or seen one before?

Any help would be grand

2. dlim macrumors regular

Do the USB ports on this monitor function the same as on the ATD? I'm looking for a new monitor too, and while I love the ATD it's a lot of $$$ :[. I've been looking at the U2412M for a bit too.

I currently have an MBA connected to a 23" HP2311x, and I have an external USB hub I use to connect to my MBA's USB port. I'd love to be able to just leave everything plugged into my monitor and simply need to only connect that to my MBA.

I know many people on the forums with the ATD do that, and I was wondering if sending the data information over a thunderbolt cable vs. DVI-to-mini-DP would make a difference in performance.

3. simsaladimbamba

As MDP and DVI don't transfer USB signals, you need to connect a separate USB cable between the Mac and the display.

4. dlim macrumors regular

Ahhh that would explain the:

1 USB 2.0 upstream port
    4 USB 2.0 downstream ports

The dell is looking less and less attractive now haha