Apple Display - Wait or Not?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cbnsoul, Apr 16, 2008.

1. cbnsoul macrumors newbie

I know this is one of the many "should I get it or not?" posts but I figured it would be better to ask those more knowledgeable than I so here goes...

I would like to get a 20" Apple Display for my Macbook. I use it occasionally for work but mainly I just use it at home, mostly for the internet. I've never used the isight camera so that's not important to me.

I am a terribly impatient person and, as many other out there, have been waiting for what feels like an eternity for Apple to come out with new displays. So the age old question is, do I get it now or wait? Basically it comes down to what am I likely to lose if a new version comes out next week?

Thanks for putting up with me and thanks for any input.

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

But do you really think people are going to say anything different than they already have in the other bazillion threads on the exact same topic? :rolleyes:

3. macgruder macrumors 6502

Buy now. It's a good display at a fair price (S-IPS).

4. cbnsoul thread starter macrumors newbie

Racetripper, I know what you mean that's why I hesitated to ask. I have to admit I don't follow this board regualrly, though so I've only seen the more recent comments.

It's the same old story - you don't want to regret getting something today that is replaced by something much better two weeks later. Sure would help if Apple let you know what was coming but I guess that would kind of spoil the fun.

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I always use the search facility, and I try to post questions to an existing thread on the topic, even if it means awakening an old thread (unless no longer relevant). If that all fails, then I start a new thread.

When people just open new threads for existing topics without doing a little due diligence first, it just adds unnecessary repetition and makes searching harder for those of us who do it the right way.

You should have given in to your hesitation. The answers you seek are already here if you spend a little time looking. I tell you this because you'll ultimately be better off learning to work with the forum tools available to you.

6. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

why would you buy an acd if you dont need it for color work?

7. cbnsoul thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I am one of those people, as mentioned in other threads, that likes to have the whole system be Apple. Plus I like the look of the displays quite a bit (although glossy would be nice).

8. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I'm in the same boat, however I'm looking at the ACD 23".

IMHO, in the limited time I've been on this site, I haven't really seen any Apple "insiders" posting pre-release information. The latest MBP release is a good example of this. Many felt we would see a case redesign with the introduction of the Penryn chips. It seems like 99.9% of the posts are educated guesses, since it appears Apple is very tight lipped.

The above is fine, but I wouldn't base my decision on speculation. If you have time to play the wait game, do that. But truth of the matter the current version of the ACD is still a very nice display and would be more than sufficient for your needs.

Just my $.02 :cool:

9. cbnsoul thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you decided to get the 23" then? I would love to get the 23" but since there is $300 difference and it's more of a "want it" than "need it" item I figured that cheaper is the way to go.

While I am not on the forums much, I must go to MacRumors main page about 10-15 times/day looking to see if there is any new news (not just regarding the displays but Apple news in general) so I know what you mean about rumors.

10. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but one of the jobs I'm working on I'm going to have the client purchase me a monitor and software.

I know sounds weird, but it is a special circumstance.;)

11. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

It's no real savings over the ACD but the NEC 2490 is a VERY nice monitor with more modern H-IPS technology. I have had one for about 3 weeks now and love it!

12. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

There is almost a 100% guarantee a new ACD is not coming anytime in the next few months.

In your case, rkdiddy, I would buy the current ACD. The two most likely "upgrades" to the next ACD is an LED backlight and HDCP (for encrypted HD content). Neither of those will be "gotta haves" for you, I expect.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

doesn't sound like you NEED one, but it also doesn't sound like you'd die if you missed out on the updates.

Although, its been a while since a redesign, so personal I'd hold off. Apple Displays are pricy, I want the most time for my buck

14. cbnsoul thread starter macrumors newbie

If the prices I've seen listed in another current thread are even close to correct, I might as well buy now ($1600 for 20" LED with HDCP). While the LED would be great to have, even if that price is close to correct, there is no way I could afford it. Of course, until something new comes out it's all speculation. Well, maybe I;ll head to the :apple: store tonight and at least LOOK at the 20" again - it's been awhile.

15. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Though a lot of people do buy on price, get the Dell display and order the OWC memory (or another 3rd party.)

They think bigger is better for the same price... even if the E is a little crooked on the logo. Though I guess the E would likely drive Monk insane.

18. HooHar macrumors member

19. esavoie macrumors newbie

I've just bought a 30' ACD, so I'd say it's quite likely that there will be an update soon. :)

I will say that I first wanted to buy this monitor over a 1.5 years ago, and waited based on speculation. Now, I wish I'd just bought it then.

20. MaddMacs macrumors 6502

There have been rumors that there will be an iSight in the new displays too.

I was looking at all the displays in the local Apple store. I wasn't impressed with the 30" displays, because it seemed like the pixels were a lot larger comparatively and it appeared more grainy (based on the screen saver pictures). The 23" looked the best relative to the size. The 20" was also a contender... but the prices!

I ended up getting the 20" off of eBay for $350. It looks and works great. I wish I had the money for a 23" but will have to wait a few years for the prices to come down (still expensive off of eBay).