Apple Displays - 23" (old) or 24" (new) Model?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Adapsys, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Adapsys macrumors member

Adapsys

Having just gotten a great deal on a new macbook pro from the refurb store I have some cash left over for a new display but I can't decide which one to go for.

The choice is between the old 23inch display and the new 24inch LED display. There is about a £100 difference between the two. The downside of the LED display is connectivity, as the mini display port can only be used with macs where as the old screen has a DVI so can potentially be used with a PC, or Playstation etc. But the old display is an inch smaller.

I guess the glossy vs matte screen is a personal preference and doesn't matter much to be either way.

What one would you guys go for?

2. pablol macrumors member

Also depends on which refurb MBP you got. If it's not a Unibody, you can't use it with the LED display anyway.

3. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I believe he already figured that out.

If you have the extra money, and want the 24", then go for it. The 23" and 24" are the same resolution, so the 23" will be slightly finer, and the 23" was a great panel at that... However, the LED backlight is awesome!

You'll have to go with your gut on this one, 100 pounds is a good chunk of money and really, it's up to you - you're the one that's going to be looking at it all the time!

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Macworld did a comparison of lcd screens an issue or two back. Surprisingly, they picked a 24" gateway over the 24" ACD.

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

If it's a unibody MBP, it's really hard to say no to the 24". You get an H-IPS vs S-IPS panel, LED backighting, iSight camera, built in speakers, and a Magsafe charger. All for an extra 100. Plus, you don't spend money on the mini DP to DVI connector. Personally, I like the design of the 23" a lot better, but it's just not as feature packed as the 24.