Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dont24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
Looking to purchase my first Mac. Now sure what I want yet, but leaning towards a G5 dual 2.0. Waiting for the Tiger release , before I purchase.
I just realized the Apple displays don't have dual inputs, unless I missed something. I was hoping to get a 20" or 23" and use it for the mac and pc.
Maybe I should look at a non apple lcd?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Correct. Apple displays are single DVI only (which is stupid, I know). So you either get a KVM, or a different screen. The Dell 2005FPW is a great 20" Wide LCD. HP also do a 23" which has multi-inputs.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
There is no reason to buy a keyboard, mouse, RAM, HD, or display from Apple if you like something else better.

Unless you are putting everything on an Apple Loan.

Shop around, and get the item that best meets your needs. ;)

dont24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
Sun Baked said:
There is no reason to buy a keyboard, mouse, RAM, HD, or display from Apple if you like something else better.

Unless you are putting everything on an Apple Loan.

Shop around, and get the item that best meets your needs. ;)

No loans for me :eek: I planned on adding additional ram and another HD, but not through Apple. Still not sold on the Apple keyboard/mouse, but I expected this coming from a PC. I need a 2 button scroll mouse. I do however like the Apple displays, but not with a single input. I'll take a look at the Dells. thanks

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
dont24 said:
Still not sold on the Apple keyboard/mouse, but I expected this coming from a PC. I need a 2 button scroll mouse.
take a look at macmice.com they have nice, good quality mice (usb or bluetooth) that go with the apple style but have 2 buttons+ scroll wheel. anyway, as you use your new mac more and more you will find your left hand hovering over cmd, option, and ctrl keys and holding the control key makes a left click like a windows right click. most of us use this method in the end because its faster.

dont24 said:
I do however like the Apple displays, but not with a single input. I'll take a look at the Dells. thanks

take notice of quality, maybe pick up a consumer reports magazine because apple displays are some of the best out there in color and clarity. it might be worth buying whatever that thing was they said would make it work (a KVM). definately look at res and dpi. apple displays use 100dpi while pcs brand displays (as i remember) use 72dpi. but seriously consumer reports.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
As long as they dont make their LCDs as crappy as their computers, I guess your safe. Dell computers are well built, until the warranty ends. :)

dont24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
Thanks for all your replies. Another option I have is to not buy a monitor at this time. I'm currently using a 19" Sony Trinitron which has 2 inputs. I may use it until I feel comfortable enough with the mac, and then ditch the pc.
Your right chaos86. The Apple displays look great. I just wish they buy 2 inputs and I wouldn't have any decisions to make.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.