Apple Displays vs. "something less expensive"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kirkbross, Apr 9, 2007.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Besides aesthetics, is there a good reason to buy a 20" Apple Cinema Display for $600 over, say, an Acer 20" for $200?

Isn't there something less expensive that offers comparable contrast ratio, pixel pitch, refresh rate, etc.?

2. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

There's plenty of monitors that are far less expensive and offer comparable (and often times superior) contrast ratio, refresh rate, etc. The dells seem to be the favorite of many members on this forum.

What you don't get with the cheaper displays is color accuracy, SWOP certification, and consistent color from a wide viewing angle.

If you're a graphic designer, or work in an industry where accurate color from screen to print is important the ACDs are a bargain. Otherwise, you're paying for a feature that not only costs you more, but also comes at the expense of some of the other features that you may value (like refresh rate).

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Another possible good reason is that the Apple Cinema Displays come with FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 ports.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Colour Depth is another issue, and the quality of the backlight are also big factors. Plus the fact that you get all the nice things in the ACDs like auto brightness etc...

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i don t have one so i wouldn t know for sure but i hear Dell's monitor are now extremely close if not the same in every aspect to the ADCs, obviously aside the aesthetics point of view an dthe FE and USB

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

No, they are NOT the same display! The LCD panel may be made by the same manufacturer, but its not the same display. Apple displays are 100% all digital, and have all the features mentioned above that the Dell displays do not have.

This is why Dell can sell a 20" LCD panel for $399 or whatever it is now days. Basically the Dell display like all of their products are made for consumers at a low price. This is also why the Dell display has both VGA and DVI along with USB 2.0 on it. Its a consumer display made for consumers with different needs. Apple displays are professional displays that are made to be hooked up to professional computers such as the PowerMac G5/MacPro, PowerBook G4/MacBook Pro. They are specifically designed to be ONLY digital, which is why they ONLY come with a DVI connector. This is also why they aren't marketed with the MacMini even though Apple hooks them up to a MacMini in their stores because they aren't consumer end displays.

7. Xavier macrumors 68020

I just bought a 20" Cinema display because my old 15" studio died.

It was a smart move, the screen is noticeably brighter even on the lower settings. I do very much enjoy the firewire and USB on the back because now I dont have to reach all the way over to the computer to plug in my iPod. I love being able to say I connect my iPod to my monitor :p

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

there you go man.. i htink tahst all the info u were looking for right?

9. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

The Acer 20" is a crappy TN monitor with lousy colour reproduction. It's a 6-bit display more suited to laptops than desktops.

I think the decent Dell screens start with the 24" — their pro line-up, not their cheap consumer line-up.

10. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Thanks all- very useful feedback.
    I'll surf NewEgg...

11. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

What monitor to get depends upon 2 things only, IMO: intended use(s) & budget. While I had no issues w/ what I spent, I opted for the Dell 2407WFP--I do not do graphics work; My MBP is used primarily for "entertainment": internet, videos, etc., so color accuracy isn't life or death for me (meaning, it won't cost me money:) ). The ACD (& most other S-IPS panels from my limited understanding) don't display blacks as well as -PVA panels, and may suffer from ghosting--not a good thing if you play games, watch a lot of movies. I am very happy w/ my 2407WFP (the 2nd Dell monitor II've ever owned--previous one was a 20" 2005FPW which used an S-IPS panel). I do admit, however, it is nowhere near as sexy looking as the ACD!!!

12. eldino macrumors member

eldino

Why not considering a Samsung or a Philips monitor?
    If my iBook'd support its whole resolution, i'd buy this nice 22' by Philips for just 299€:

PHILIPS 220WS8FS
    Monitor TFT da 22" Wide
    Risoluzione: 1680x1050 pixel - Luminosità: 300 cd/m²
    Frequenza Orizzontale: max 93KHz - Contrasto 1000:1
    Frequenza Verticale: max 76Hz - Tempo di reazione: 5 ms

(specs are in Italian but they are pretty understandable I think)

[​IMG]

Philips monitors usually are pretty reliable too.. so why just Apple or Dell? :)