Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I have been a Mac owner since 1984 and although I won't be buying a Windows machine any time soon, I realized why my enthusiasm for Apple has been waning lately. Back in the day, Apple didn't just provide me with what I wanted, it actually anticipated what I needed and gave me that "I have to have that" feeling with so many new products and even updates. It the past few years, however, I have the exact opposite feeling: I know exactly what I want (a headless iMac) and Apple--for reasons that have been debated on MR at length--refuses to release such a product.

Perhaps the computer industry has become mature and/or sophisticated enough in the last 20 years so that even a company like Apple can't wow everyone with homeruns all the time. I know all you iPhone users out there will point out that you had the "I have to have this" feeling last June, but many of us didn't and I am worried by Apple dropping the word 'computers' from their title. It seems that computers have taken a backseat to peripheral gadgets, and I hope the MacBook Air is a step back to the company's core strength although I'm still dubious about the success of this new machine. Now that they are competing directly with Windows machines (the Apple tv ads really reinforce this idea), Apple needs to update their products at least as fast as before and yet they seem to have moved in the opposite direction (how long was it before the Mac Pro was recently updated?).

I know that all companies go through various stages and Apple is currently getting much deeper market penetration. I just wanted to point out the downside of this from the perspective of one longtime Macuser.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I agree. It is a bit ironic that in a time when Apple's market share in the personal computer segment is growing, they're releasing updates to their computers less than in years past.

CashGap

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Music City, USA
Apple has changed it's strategy in the past five years or so, and is running like a successful business more than at any time in its past.

It was a heady feeling back when they were a "Super duper gut-feeling company riding the crest of a booming wave", but that's not a business plan that can last forever!

The product strategy is working for them, and apparently, working for a larger number of consumers than ever before. Inevitably though, a move that gains them a dozen customers can cost them a pair. That's probably a swap they are smart to make... repeatedly.

It is a bit ironic that in a time when Apple's market share in the personal computer segment is growing, they're releasing updates to their computers less than in years past.

It's just one of the things they learned the hard way.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
For me it happened when Apple went mainstream with the G4 mini.. it was also when I switched.
That entry level mac showed that Apple is just like any other company, and was going to cater to what people wanted, rather then set their own trends. The switch to Intel is just more of the same, rather then anything unique.

I think for Apple to be back in the game, they would have to come out with a eeePC competitor within the next 3 months and grab this emerging market.

then put the iBooks and Powerbooks on diets, remove the ugly bezel on the Macbook, and make me something that I desperately want, and don't even realize yet.

A $500 dockable 3G equipped Airbook would be just the thing.. It would be like an iPod for your computer. Released at first for Mac only, it would sync with iSync to a "real" mac..

Windows drivers would follow in 6-9 months (just in time for Christmas).

90% of the people who use a laptop (guessing here) don't NEED the laptop function for FCP, they just like being able to lie in bed and surf the net. So why not make one just for them. Sure, it'll eat into sales of the other Laptops, but so what? This way they can just sell more desktops..

I agree. It is a bit ironic that in a time when Apple's market share in the personal computer segment is growing, they're releasing updates to their computers less than in years past.

Probably only because Intel only updates their chips a few times a year and there's no longer any speed bumps when IBM was able to squeeze out a few extra mhz from their PPC chips.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
Apple has changed it's strategy in the past five years or so, and is running like a successful business more than at any time in its past.

You are exactly right in what you say, and I'm happy to see it. I was reflecting on the downside of this new business strategy, one that is especially apparent for those of us who have been Mac users since the beginning.

Alican

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2007
LONDON, UK
but many of us didn't and I am worried by Apple dropping the word 'computers' from their title.

Why should that be a source of worry? The name Apple Computer Inc was no longer relevant to what they produce now. Apple Inc. makes more sense.
I see no reason to think that computers have taken a back seat. It's just no longer the only thing they design.

Doors6767

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
I think Apple goes for niches. All their computers are unique and designed for a specific group of people. I think this keeps costs down in development and they have some kickass products. They have computer products for people with all kinds of budgets. We just got my mother-in-law a Mac-Mini for Christmas and it's a fantastic machine for what it is. I found it pretty zippy and seem like you could do a lot with it considering the price.

But I would agree since Apple has gotten bigger and more popular you just don't feel as unique as before. I remember you could just walk up to the Apple genius bar and receive help with no problem. Now you have to make an appointment and every time I go into the Apple store now it super crowded.

Apple has just become more popular and now they just don't seem as responsive or close as before. But I think it is great they are doing well.

I would agree I think this MacBook Air seems like it's going to be a flop. It's seems underpowered and overpriced but that just my opinion.

Chris

avincent52

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
I remember you could just walk up to the Apple genius bar and receive help with no problem. Now you have to make an appointment and every time I go into the Apple store now it super crowded.

That's the one you should be worried about. Back in the day, Apple products just worked. Not quite like your kitchen sink or toaster (Apple's analogy) but pretty close.
Not anymore I fear. Leopard was almost as buggy as Vista, and when I bought a MBP, I had to have the machine replaced twice before I got one that worked. (the first definitely a hardware problem, the second cause undetermined.)

Machines that don't work at a premium price make for disgruntled customers. I know that I was much more gruntled with my Jaguar and Tiger running G3 and G4 machines. The snarky Mac vs. PC ads will come back to bite them if they can't walk the walk.

best
Allen

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You can see bugs and production snags hit Apple a lot more visibly now.

As soon as a new CPU/Chipset hits the market and hits Apple's unit threshold -- when Apple doesn't release, you know something may not be ready on the software side.

The ATI issue with the al-iMacs, the slowdown of some stuff related to the new MacBook integrated video.

All this at the time when Apple is bug stamping Leopard, and was earlier rushing for release on the iPhone.

---

Either hardware/software issues or Apple having to wait from a high production window from their vendors.

Can see things clearer now with Intel inside, even if we do not know where the issue lies.

And when Apple skips an update to await the next big thing (Mac Pro chipset) it also shows.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Back in the day, Apple products just worked. ...
Not anymore I fear. ...
I gather that you are a relatively recent switcher. As a Mac owner since 1989, I can assure you that Macs today work as well as they ever have. Most of the "problems" that I see reported on forums like this one are caused by Windows users who try to use their previous computer experience on their Macs.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Can't say I see it, apple did the whole headless mac thing with the cube, it failed, once bitten twice shy.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
the industry is too diverse for a closed-ecosystem to survive. Mac becoming a windows machine helps a little bit.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have to admit it. As much as I like Mac OS X. Lately if someone asked me "What should I buy?" and needed a desktop system for Photoshop and had a $2,000 budget I'd have to tell him the only option is a PC. It is kind of sad. this used to be Apple's "bead and butter" market but now unless you can afford a Mac Pro and Monitor (well over $3K total) you are stuck with a glossy screen iMac with no upgrade path.

If the computer is to be used for serious work and not just an entertainment center then who care what OS it runs. You will be inside the application 95% of the time. Apple seriously needs to plug the hole in their midrange desktop line.

In the 90's Apple sold a Power PC tower for $1500. They need to revive that idea. HP currently sells a computer with an Intel Core 2 Quad core, 1GB RAM a good graphic card and a flat screen monitor (HP branded monitor) for $1,500 complete with wireless keyboard, mouse and pre-installed OS. Apple could offer the same for $1,700 but they don't, so the only option is a Windows PC.

I think Apple sees the entertainment and consumer electronics market as the way of the future. The company name change says a lot.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Can't say I see it, apple did the whole headless mac thing with the cube, it failed, once bitten twice shy.

At $1,500 G4 Power PC sold well. All they'd have to do is drop a modern Intel motherboard into the old G4 Power PC chassis and sell at the old price point. I think the mounting screws might even line up. I can buy the parts to build a "Core 2 in a G4 tower case" retail for under $1K.

Next time I see a gutted G4 chassis for sale I may buy it and build a "hackentosh" by dropping a Core 2 Quad M/B into it along with a new power supply. I think it would be legal too. After all the G4 tower as "an Apple labled computer" The license does not say "un-modified Apple labeled computer"

basset hound

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
I started working with Apple:apple: computers way back in the early Apple:apple: ][ days. My first Apple that I owned personally was a IIc. From there I moved on to a Mac when they were still in their original "box" shape. When that was fully "out of date" I switched to PCs because in those days Macs were a whole lot slower than the competition. That was a BIG mistake, but now that I've gone through four PC based computers I purchased a 24" 2.8 GHz iMac. Wow., what a machine. I'm definitely glad to be back.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.