Apple DL-DVI

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by n8236, Jul 16, 2012.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

Hi,

I recently bought a Yamakasi monitor and in order to use/power it, I purchased Apple's Mini DisplayPort to DL-DVI adapter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A).

Currently, I have the MiniDisplay and USB ends plugged into my MBP. It works fine, but I prefer it not suck up one USB port.

On the adapter itself, the block has a USB female end. I hear people say that's for connecting to the iMac or Cinema screen's USB port. But because my monitor doesn't have an USB port, I'm not sure how to use the female end on the Apple adapter

I tried using the iPad's 22v USB-wall plug with a male-male USB cable for that adapter's female end. That didn't work.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to use the female usb end on the apple dl-dvi adapter?

2. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Just use the female usb port as a usb port, assuming the male end is plugged into your mac. If you want to free up a usb port on your mac, evidently an ipad power adapter will supply the necessary power (5 volts @ 10 watts). A 5 watt ipod adapter would probably work too. Evidently from what i gather from apple feedback is that if not enough power is supplied to the adapter, it will have issues.