Apple Docks Are Back!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tdar, Sep 10, 2013.

1. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

as sad as this sounds

this is the best news of the day

2. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

I like the dock option. It just feels better than laying your phone down on the table. And then you have a cable laying on the ground when your not charging. This keeps it clean and even looks nice on desk/table.

3. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Schiller is so two-faced. He dismissed docks after people complained there wasn't one last fall. Happy to see them back. Long overdue.

4. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

5. kalexn macrumors 6502

Definitely happy about this! Only thing is they don't look like you can use cases with them. I may be wrong but I thought the old docks allowed smaller cases to be used at the same time.

6. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

Only the Universal Dock allowed for cases to the used, all the other docks were meant to be used without a case

7. Truckondo macrumors member

I've been using a Universal Dock for my 4s that is covered with an Incipio Feather Case. Works fine for it. I'm wondering if the 5c dock will work with a thin case on the 5s. The 5c dock is just a tad bigger.

8. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

He works for Apple, what would you expect him to say?

9. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

He would have been better off not responding to the email than straight up lying. Schiller annoys me a great deal in his ways.

10. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Doesn't work with even the cases Apple sells. Total fail.

I'll be using my Dock+ from Kickstarter that works with ANY case and an iPhone or iPad.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Picking the wrong tool for the job is the actual fail. These aren't designed for cases and there are plenty of options if you need one that does. Use the product that suits your needs. There are plenty of others that this is perfectly suited for. Your specific needs do not determine fail or success despite how your perspective may make it seem.

12. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

They make a phone, the make a case, they make a dock. Those three things can not be used together. Not with the C nor the S. Sorry but like you have your opinion, I have mine, and its a failure. I mean I can understand it not working with a Spec or a OtterBox, but not their own case? Apple has the capability to design something that could work with AND without their case. Instead they toss out this piece of plastic crap.

And I'm an Apple fanboy to boot.

13. CHMK macrumors regular

just realised- what with the soft back aluminium of the iphone 5 and the relatively sharp plastic edge, will the dock scratch the phone?

had an iphone 4 with dock, and i had a screen protector... the back edge of the dock when inserting the phone scratched the screen protector. i now dont have a screen protector for the i5.

14. tigertazz macrumors 6502

tigertazz

You beat me to it. Spotted them in the app! Such good news

15. mariotr87 macrumors regular

So, has anyone tried this out?

Do you think it will fit the iPhone with a SGP Ultra Thin Air? :rolleyes:

16. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Bought a dock to use on my bedside; it will only fit a naked iPhone 5/5s, which works for me since I don't use a case.

For a solid dock option that works with a case, check out the TwelveSouth hirise for iPhone 5/iPad mini. It would work perfectly with most cases and has various adapters for different thickness cases as well. Sturdily built to boot.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/hirise_iphone/

17. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Seconding this:

[​IMG]
    iPhone 5s by Holmes093, on Flickr

18. matttye macrumors 601

Is there absolutely no wiggle room whatsoever?

I'm hoping it will fit the 0.3mm case I just bought especially so that I don't have to keep taking my case off :p

19. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I would stay away from the Apple dock. I just picked one up. You will not be able to have ANY film on the back of the phone. And it already scratched the bottom glass on the back of my iPhone 5. I'm taking it back.

20. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

It's very perfectly fitted to the naked iPhone, so case users (or even rear "film" users) are probably out of luck.

For those who don't use a case, the dock does the job nicely and with a very slim profile.

21. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

It won't. I tried it in the store and a naked iPhone barely fits in it.