Apple Documentation vs. 3rd party book

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Hookflash, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Hookflash macrumors newbie

I'm interested in getting into OSX (and eventually iPhone) programming, but I can't decide which learning path to follow. I've read Kochan's Objective-C book, and I figure Hillegass's "Cocoa Programming for OSX" would be a logical next step (maybe followed by "Beginning iPhone 3 Development"). But I'm wondering if I might be better off saving my money and just using Apple's documentation instead (Cocoa Fundamentals, the Obj-C Guide, etc.). What would you guys recommend?

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

It doesn't matter, some people managed with just Apple Docs and some people needed more from third party books.

I suggest you start with the Apple Docs as it is free. If you get stuck or don't like it, then you can just spend money on the books.

3. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Read those docs and then read Hillegass. It's a bit like wandering through a museum on your own with an infinite amount of time vs. having a smart tour-guide that only lasts a couple hours. There are details that Hillegass doesn't have the space to really get into, but the way he walks you through the most important parts of the Cocoa frameworks is really valuable. I would read those intro docs just to give yourself a context in order to better place the content that Hillegass provides.

4. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

At some point the Apple docs should be all you need. What programs have you written and what programs are you wanting to write? The answer to that question could point you in a specific direction of books/websites/docs.